hi, i am stuck on a very simple bit in this song , i can't figure out what she is doing.

she goes weird-F , G, Am, then maybe raises a finger or even 2 fingers (so just 1 finger is on the strings) ? or is that just what the transition looks like and really she is hitting Am many times?

i am bad at this, very bad.

she is playing the sequence at:

youtu.be/eFpwDHxK9sw?t=34

i try to play it at here but really i dont know what buttons to press so i end up pressing none lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06Q4dDCQYA

thanks for having a look -_- i am so bad at this simple sort of stuff coz i never learn anything new just practice the same thing over and over. (this should change soon i quit my job and will be able to practice more!!)
I'm not really good with full chord voicings either, but it sounds like a C/E leading into that F chord (which sounds like F with a #11). I'd have to sit down and experiment to be certain, but I hope that helps..
OK first, who is in the video you, or the person you're talking about? If you want us to look at a different YouTube video than the one in the post, you'll have to imbed it, because I'm not getting much help with the partial address in your post

In the posted video, all I see is someone lifting their finger off the C note of the Am chord.

That leaves you with this:

e-1....O (E4)
B-2....O (B3)
G-3....2 (G3)
D-4....2 (E3)
A-5....O (A3)
E-6 ...X or O (play it if you like or not)

The chord which comes out of lifting that finger would be called "Asus2", "A5add9", or simply "A2". (It pretty much depends who you ask on the name).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 11, 2016,
The G chord she's using is an atypical form of G7:

e-1 3 G
B-2 0 B
G-3 0 G
D-4 3 F (without a capo that note is F, the 7th of the G major).
A-5 2 or X might be a muted string, not sure.
E-6 3 G

The A minor / Asus2 is exactly what I said it is.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 11, 2016,
TS is talking about the chord played after the Am chord and before the F major chord.

She just lifts her fingers and plays open strings. It's basically an Em11 chord.

^ I don't think she's playing the 3rd fret of D string. Because I don't hear the 7th in that chord. I doubt her index finger is actually touching the string.

I mean, play the regular open G major chord (3 2 0 0 0 3) and use your pinky to play the 3rd fret of the high E string, look at where your index finger is. It is most likely above the 3rd fret of the D string.

So I don't think she's playing the 7th in that chord - I just can't hear it. Her finger just happens to be above the 3rd fret of the D string.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
TS is talking about the chord played after the Am chord and before the F major chord.

She just lifts her fingers and plays open strings. It's basically an Em11 chord.
I could tell you an almost funny story about that. Townshend uses that in "Pinball Wizard". For decades I've played the song's power hook using "Em11", (B, B, A, D, Em11 (all open), E.... And for decades I thought I was missing something, until I bought the souvenir book of "Tommy", whereupon I found out I had been right all along....

Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ I don't think she's playing the 3rd fret of D string. Because I don't hear the 7th in that chord. I doubt her index finger is actually touching the string.

I mean, play the regular open G major chord (3 2 0 0 0 3) and use your pinky to play the 3rd fret of the high E string, look at where your index finger is. It is most likely above the 3rd fret of the D string.
So I don't think she's playing the 7th in that chord - I just can't hear it. Her finger just happens to be above the 3rd fret of the D string.
OK, so here again, my bad. As I never play a 3 finger G major, (I always finger the D @ B-2 3rd fret), I'm going to claim "honest mistake".

Anyway, I tried to follow along with the song, but realized I wouldn't be likely to buy a CD from this Japanese lass ever. So, my misguided, inept attempts at playing the guitar with those chords quickly morphed into, "All Along the Watchtower"....

CODA: The young lady IS suspending the Am chord to A2, is she not?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 12, 2016,
thankyou guys! i havent disappeared i was playing some dota instead of guitar lol
hopefully i will get this down and record a bit to show you thanks
nice i NAILED it lol

i can hear that open string

so i learnt 2 main things i guess?

1) you can try to listen to the individual notes and see if you can hear them, i could have done that to hear that open string

2) pay attention to the strumming pattern , coz i literally know 1 strumming pattern, it helps to try to do the same strumming pattern as what she is doing coz its pretty different to the beginners up down shit i do and helps to make the notes that are getting played make more sense
Last edited by percydw at Mar 14, 2016,
oops, the video was private...
here

*removed*

edit i make new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0_WFfZ6OGY

also if anyone is curious how fast i am after 1 year practicing that same tune (lol) i just randomly recorded it since my hand was really fast today. obviously it sounds like shit but it looks super cool ... (i barely practice it for ages anyway just doing some chords and trying to keep my hand speed from decreasing since i work a lot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-tVZegOCv8
Last edited by percydw at Mar 14, 2016,
^ You may want to use some kind of an amp. It's pretty hard to hear what you are playing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115