I think I've brought up Japanese punk in the punk forum before, with poor results. Anyway, G.I.S.M. is close enough to metal as was 80s Japanese hardcore, and as I know at least one person here loves this stuff, this is where I'm putting the discussion thread.

G.I.S.M. are legendary for a few reasons. Firstly, frontman Sakevi is a famed lunatic, known for his violence on stage and off it, rumored to have once attacked his audience with a flamethrower, and rumored to have once beaten up a fan on the street for wearing a bootleg GISM shirt. He intentionally kept the band obscure, helping them to build an unparalleled reputation in their time as a sort of hardcore holy grail. And, incredibly, GISM's music not only matched but exceeded their mystical reputation. With Sakevi's depraved vocals, and the Maiden-esque lead work of the legendary Randy Uchida (RIP), GISM crafted a sound on Detestation that serves as the perfect halfway point between hardcore punk and NWOBHM, but far more evil - balancing raw and primitive punk rock fury with facemelting fretwork that would not have been out of place on a power metal album.

As far as I'm concerned, the 80s Japanese punk scene was the strongest in the world, then and now. We have bands like Gastunk and Death Side bridging the gap between hardcore and metal, similarly to GISM; bands like Confuse and Gauze making their own distinctive flavours of hardcore; bands like Outo and S.O.B. crossing over into thrashcore/grind territory. And of course, the mighty Zouo who have, to my knowledge, only released a single demo and a split with G.A.I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHQkO4S_XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BMh4uR-wGc

Now, discuss.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
As far as I'm concerned, the 80s Japanese punk scene was the strongest in the world, then and now.

How on earth could anyone deny this? Countless examples. It's raw and primal, truly masterful in its art.

A personal favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDbOPls2ts4

Been scouting for this on the cheap for a few years. I am determined to own it. It got me into hardcore instantly.

Also, obligatory Sakevi video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0YS9WcAMtc
Awesome posts, both of you. It's very difficult to come into possession of non-bootlegged material from this scene in my experience lol but good luck to you. You guys should check out the link I posted in the chat thread, it's got a lot of Japanese stuff in there.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by MHDrunk
Awesome posts, both of you. It's very difficult to come into possession of non-bootlegged material from this scene in my experience lol but good luck to you. You guys should check out the link I posted in the chat thread, it's got a lot of Japanese stuff in there.

Signed up but haven't gotten around to it yet. Busy with stuff.

Anyways, been on a Jap hardcore binge so I have been mostly been finding stuff relating to that, really digging Rose Rose and Poison Arts, thoughts on those two?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wam7is4S2SI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE852rZNrpw

Also, Good As It Is from Detestation is the king of leads. Those intro melodies are ace. Might be my favourite G.I.S.M. song.
Good As It Is is from M.A.N. :p That albums awesome too, a completely different beast to Detestation and waaaay more on the metal side of things, lacking in a lot of the rawness, anger and disgust that made Detestation so good, but steeped in its own thick atmosphere. I'll check out those bands you posted as I find time at work

I really dig GISM, some Japanese Heavy/Speed/Black stuff, but I am admittedly a neonate when it comes to the punk/hardcore side. Enlighten me with this thread more if you can.

It rarely strikes true with me, but when it does, wa-ow!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by MHDrunk
Good As It Is is from M.A.N. :p That albums awesome too, a completely different beast to Detestation and waaaay more on the metal side of things, lacking in a lot of the rawness, anger and disgust that made Detestation so good, but steeped in its own thick atmosphere. I'll check out those bands you posted as I find time at work

Oh man, serves me right for listening to it on youtube instead of from my music library. Sorry I'm a dunce. Still have some killer leads and I definitely hear that metal influence, it's more polished like you said.

did you get a chance to listen to Rose Rose and Poison Arts? They're both primal as they come. Rose Rose is basically a wall of noise with some obvious punk influence (think backing vocals like "hey hey!" where the singer says them and the backing vocals do the same thing...rambling but hopefully you get the idea)
VG - Death Side, Zouo, Gastunk will all go down very well with you if you like GISM

severed - haven't got the chance yet, need to hop on soulseek when I get home tonight and see what I can find by them

Gonna dig into that shit this week. Will be back later with some feedback.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Gonna dig into that shit this week. Will be back later with some feedback.

Please do. Japan hardcore is fairly well-known, but it's a nice alternative to tough guy vocals from the us scene.
Quote by severed-metal
words

Man, last night I stumbled across a guy with an epic hardcore collection on soulseek, saw Rose Rose, and grabbed it (he had a TON of stuff by them - I uploaded it to the link above). Will listen shortly

edit - Rose Rose is pretty good, nice and fast, good riffs, great leads, and i swear i hear a bit of death metal in there

Last edited by MHDrunk at Apr 8, 2016,