Poll: What do you think about the new rating system?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think about the new rating system?
It's fucking great!
1 33%
It really sucks
2 67%
I don't care
0 0%
Voters: 3.
Hey, everyone!

We want all tab ratings to be as honest and objective as possible — that’s why we are launching the new rating system. But before the actual launch, we would like to tell you what you can expect from it.

Read the full article in UG blog

Long story short:
1. More objective rating
2. Authors' levels won't be affected
3. No more fraud, trolling and rigging
4. Greater chance for new tabs to become popular

What do you think about this? Comments and suggestions are very welcomed.
Interesting reading - I can't see the graphics for some reason so the new formula is still a mystery to me.

I don't understand the example given though, you seem to be using 4.8 as the average tab rating but using 4.5 elsewhere or am I missing something??

Would also question the 4.5 average, if that's been derived from the current tabs and ratings it includes the dodgy 'family and friends ratings' you're trying to counteract.
Last edited by xxxxChrisTxxxx at Mar 12, 2016,
Can't see pictures/formulae
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Quote by xxxxChrisTxxxx

I don't understand the example given though, you seem to be using 4.8 as the average tab rating but using 4.5 elsewhere or am I missing something??

Sorry, we just mistyped it. Now it's fixed. The average rating of all UG tabs is currently 4.5.

Quote by xxxxChrisTxxxx

Would also question the 4.5 average, if that's been derived from the current tabs and ratings it includes the dodgy 'family and friends ratings' you're trying to counteract.

Didn't catch this part. Would you, please, explain what do you mean?
The minimum of 5 votes does not make sense to me, and definitely hurts me. I have 75 tab contributions, currently all 5 star except one of them, and as you can see the majority of these still don’t have 5 votes even though they were posted 3,4,5 years ago! https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/contribution/submit/my

I believe most of my less than 5 star ratings recently have been from users who are using TabPro to look at my GuitarPro6 tabs, because the TabPro version often doesn’t do justice to a GuitarPro tab, and sometimes have been completely wrong. It looks like some of the TabPro problems have since gotten fixed, but unfortunately not before someone had given me an inferior score. See my forum posts that got almost no attention:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1688677
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1690192

Although your new system will ameliorate this effect, I still wish you would find a way to prevent TabPro only users from rating GuitarPro tabs.
Last edited by garykob at Mar 12, 2016,
Quote by tigermetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxChrisTxxxx

Didn't catch this part. Would you, please, explain what do you mean?

I think he means that 4.5 as an average rating for the tabs on this site is too high. As that includes people ('family and friends') giving 5 star ratings to tabs just because they know the person making them, not necessarily because they are good tabs. Then you get tabs with high ratings just because they're the first tab of that song, when they may not be so accurate.
Personally I think the average rating should be closer to 3 stars, considering the amount of bad or average at best tabs I've seen with 5 star ratings.
^^^^That was what I was getting at and agree about the average tab rating.

I would also argue that perhaps there are more higher rated tabs since the introduction of having to explain a low rating, I know it stops 'trolls' just down voting for the sake of it but I've seen some truly awful tabs but couldn't be bothered to give them a low vote because it requires a 25 word explanation.

Still struggling to understand the new system though - are you saying all tabs will be given 4.5 rating to start with now and until it gets 5 votes it won't change?
I frankly don't like the system because it deflates good, if lesser-known, tabs at the expense of others. The system works better for tabs with a lot of ratings, as there is much less deviance between the current scheme and this plan. However, the planned system inflates bad tabs with low rating numbers (a tab with a rating of 1 star in the current system, 6 votes, would have 2.59 stars in the new system), while it also deflates good tabs that are either less viewed or less voted on (rating of 5 stars/6 votes/current system -> 4.77 in new system).

I've attached a simple Python 2.7 program for anyone who wants to mess with the numbers. It assumes that the voting threshold (number of votes needed for a rating to show up) is 5 (4 votes is not okay, 5 votes is), and that the rating is between 1 and 5.

Edit: Other assumptions made via blog post
C = 4.5 (average site-wide rating)

and I think C is definitely inflated more than deflated. It takes less time to rate 5 stars unfairly than to give spam ratings (which are most likely reported in other places).

Edit 2: incorrect syntax. I made a place to input more information as well.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Mar 16, 2016,
Quote by NSpen1
I think he means that 4.5 as an average rating for the tabs on this site is too high. . .

No, I am not referring to the 4.5 average.

I have 75 tab contributions on the site. All but 1 of them are currently 5-star. The new system says it will no longer show a rating unless a tab has a minimum of 5 votes, which means 41 of my 74 5-star tabs will no longer show any rating, and may never show a rating since these tabs were posted 2,3,4 and 5 years ago and still have less than 5 votes.
Quote by garykob
No, I am not referring to the 4.5 average.

I have 75 tab contributions on the site. All but 1 of them are currently 5-star. The new system says it will no longer show a rating unless a tab has a minimum of 5 votes, which means 41 of my 74 5-star tabs will no longer show any rating, and may never show a rating since these tabs were posted 2,3,4 and 5 years ago and still have less than 5 votes.

My reply was not directed at your post.

But I agree with you, I'm in the same position, having several tabs with 5-star ratings but less than 5 votes.
I'm not sure the minimum number of votes requirement is going to work so well - for one thing you (u-g) say you want to increase the chances for newer tabs, but that's not gonna happen. You'll get a tab with e.g. 8 5-star votes (or a mixture of 4 and 5-stars which will be rounded up to 5) which is not that accurate, then another tab is posted later which is better but won't get any votes because people see the first, high-rated tab and automatically look at that.
That's a problem with human nature I guess I mean, I'll check all versions of a tab I'm interested in, but most people seem not to.
Well I think any members' Guitar Pro or Powertab file that Ultimate Guitar converts to Tab Pro should receive bonus points added to their UG score since the site is making money off those.
I think an additional 3 or 4 points per file would be fair. I'm not 100% positive on this but doesn't a bad vote on a Tab Pro file cross over to the members Guitar Pro file? If true' there are other factors to consider other than accuracy the could affect the rating like the fact Tab Pro sounds bad and it doesn't work on Firefox. (Bad when compared to the sound as played in GPro.)

It would be a nice offset to the members with +1000 half page guitar/ ukulele tabs.
Everyone ought to know how easy it is to create a guitar/bass/ukulele txt. file from a guitar pro file. In one weekend I could quadruple my submissions by doing this to just my files. I don't because it really wouldn't add anything to the site.
Last edited by amx360 at Mar 27, 2016,
Quote by amx360
I'm not 100% positive on this but doesn't a bad vote on a Tab Pro file cross over to the members Guitar Pro file?
I'm pretty sure it is users who don't have GuitarPro, who are only using the TabPro are the ones who are recently giving my 5-star GuitarPro tabs a lot of 3's and 4's ratings.

The TabPro version typically doesn’t do justice to an excellent GuitarPro tab, all the work we put into instrument choices and effects, equalization, bend and whammy bar shape and duration, etc and sometimes the TabPro translations have been horribly wrong. Like saxophone solos getting assigned to bass guitar. Synthesizers getting assigned to guitar. Piano not in grand staff and never in the right octave, etc. Even a TabPro without major errors still palse in comparison to the actual GuitarPro tab. I don't mind this website using my GuitarPro tabs for their TabPro. I just don't want users judging me by how TabPro sounds, that is flat out wrong.

See my forum posts about this that have gotten almost no attention:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1690192
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1688677