Hi Guys,

I just got my ENGL Savage plus a fitting 4x12 box. However, I haven't figured out what the best way to go is in terms of effetcts.

Im a simple guy, i need for a show:

1x High Gain Leadsound
1x High Gain Leadsound with Delay/Reverb for the occasional solo
1x Clean with Delay, Reverb and maybe some Chorus

Now I however need these effects all at the command of my foot. So basically, I am just chunking out some rhythm with leads but then want to go into a solo with some delay and reverb. I want this with one footstep. I dont like to do the "pedal dance", if you know what i mean.

I very much like the simplicity and good tone of stomp boxes and it would be my preferred way to go but i also have a multi effect from boss with all the effects inside but, provided i dont need to pedal dance, i would prefer the stomp box method. but is this possible and do i need some of the engl Z boards and if yes how willl it work?

any answeers are much appreciated
From what I see this amp has midi interface port, so you could run GT-10, or GT-8, maybe HD500, or some of the TC units, in 4 cable mode and midi jack, then the multifx will do the switching of channels and provide effects.
You have 2 volume controls, so you can control one as boost, there is also 2 fx loops that you can load and operate with the foot switch, so that's another option.
if you're ok with the 2 loops that's probably the handiest way to do it, at least as long as you have two reverb and delay pedals. when you change channels the different pedals will be on. you'll have a little tap-dancing for the lead high gain sound without delay, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thx guys. so it looks like there is no way around the multi effect and then stomp boxes are not an option as i dont want to do any tap dancing (im playing lead guitar, solos, as well as singing...thats enough for me to cope with already)

i was just wondering, how do guys like Paul Gilbert do it? The guy has an enormous, crazy footboard with tons of pedals but i never saw him doing the dance. maybe i was to floored by the guitarwork though and didnt notice anything else....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFE2YKMjs2U

There are Bradshaw, Voodoolab, Rocktron, etc. midi analog switching systems that you can program your moves. Look up the "Ground Control":
http://www.voodoolab.com/products.htm

Well, when I was singing and playing lead I first went through my whole rig and figured out what I can live without live. So most of my analog pedals that were used in spots were left at home, so I ended up with a midi switchable analog preamp going into tube power amp, switching mainly 4 patches: clean, crunch, high gain rhythm, high gain lead.
Then I decided to use just a delay pedal for leads so that was in the fx loop, and honestly it was a luxury item, in other words I will click it on my longer leads where I did have vocals right before.

After a while I decided that I can do better with more effects and found a way to drop the floorboard midi switch for a multifx processor (Boss GT-10) which also did my preamp midi switching. So at that point everything I needed was one pedal press away. I used the sounds of my preamp and the GT-10 wrapped around it in 4 cable configuration (5 cables with the midi). I created a color coded cable loom with color codes on the back of my flight case and in the back of my processor board so the cables could be connected in less than 2 minutes. So the multifx option is the best for functionality. There was some tone suck but not as nearly as bad as what I had before, plus the GT-10 has two noise gates and I didn't have to carry around noise gate pedals.

In your case you have midi capability on the amp so that is a viable option but you'll have to research further, so the multifx will do midi switching and turn your channels on/off as well as provide fx.

The two fx loops currently on your amp, if you have the pedal switch for it, could do everything since you mention only two effects and a volume boost. One of the fx loops can be jumpered with a mono 1/4 cable from the send to return and just work as a volume boost when you kick it in, or just decide what you want to minimum and play that way.

Most big name players have their guitar techs control their effects, Kirk Hammett, Dimebag, etc. all had their roadies control their rigs and they had maybe an expression pedal or two when they wanted to get a little weird.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 14, 2016,
Meanwhile, i have another problem. When i turned on the amp for the first time, everything sounded great but as soon as i am not playing anything (f.e.x muting the strings and doing nothing) the feedback noise on the amp becomes very loud. loud as in "absolute no go for a live show or even rehearsal", its quite unbearably loud, about the same level as when playing stuff.

do you know why this can be? i plugged the guitar (ibanex xiphos with EMG's) directly into the amp, no effect chains etc. Box is the Engl 4x12 Slanted

i can also stand 5 meters away from the amp, same thing, it definitely has nothing to do with how close my guitar is to the amp. could it be cheap cables? they don't lie on anything else (dont touch like f.e.x a power cable etc.) but then i have no idea about these kind of things.

btw it only happens on the gain channels. i only used a regular instrument cable to connect ampand box (always worked on my old powerball) but there seem to be specially designed cable from amp to box that can bear more load or something like that. could that make such a difference? any other clues?
are you muting the strings? does it happen with the guitar volume turned off
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
it only happens when i f.ex. mute the strings but leave the volume knob on. as soon as i turn the volume know to 0, no feedback anymore. i can actually do volume swells with the feedback this way, which is funny (for the first few times ;-) )

battery might not be very fresh but wouldn't the sound be impacted severely or even dissappear entirely when using active EMG's with a dead battery?

i used to be a passive humbucker guy so i don't have much exp there.

cheers,
Quote by diabolical
Change the battery.

so, i did change the battery. also i replaced the cable from amp to the cab with a proper one but still, its exactly the same problem....massive feedback as soon as i am not playing a note.

any clues what else it could be?

i noticed that if i put the volume knob on my guitar to 0 and dont play anything, the amp generates quite a lot of "static noise",much more than the engl fireball of the other guitarist in comparison.
Last edited by grohm at Apr 28, 2016,
Does it happen with both the Bridge and Neck pickups?

If so I'm guessing a microphonic pre-amp tube or simply too much gain and/or treble.

Have you changed the cable from guitar to amp?

For a good overview of an amp giving feedback go to Mesa's website > Support > Product Manuals > Roadster and search for feedback or microphonic.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Does it happen with both the Bridge and Neck pickups?

If so I'm guessing a microphonic pre-amp tube or simply too much gain and/or treble.

Have you changed the cable from guitar to amp?

For a good overview of an amp giving feedback go to Mesa's website > Support > Product Manuals > Roadster and search for feedback or microphonic.

yes, happens with any pickup. the feedback is still there with less gain, even at 9 o clock. Granted, its a little less present but still way too much. My other guitarists engl fireball is completely silent with the same settings. cable have been changed with ones that certainly work - no difference :-/
the tube cant be microphonic as its brand new and i never dial gain past 12 o clock....
First rule of troubleshooting - new does not equal good.

Bad tube or something else in the amp sounds bad.

Do you have any of the old tubes to try rolling through?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .