Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe I've seen any threads about fretless guitars. Anywho, let's talk about fretless guitars. Anybody played one, own one, or built one? I'm dying to play one and possibly buy one, but not willing to pay an expensive price tag. They are very rare to find, I've only seen acoustics and these Hadean fretless guitars. They're cheap and have painted fretboards, which make me kind of skeptical of them. Anyone try a Hadean guitar?
I have my eyes on a Vigier Surfreter or a custom axe. Maybe a Godin Glissentar. Haven't seen Hadeans. A painted fingerboard isn't necessarily a sing of a bad guitar: I know of som nice MiJ Stratclones with painted fingerboards, as well as Fernandes limited editions and some others.

But on a budget? I know at one time, Agile made a fretless guitar for well under $1000. Worth checking out.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd only get one if I could easily get a Sustainer in it, because that stuff is fun.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by JustRooster

Interesting.

Previous incarnations used Delta Metal, which is a brass alloy. I can only assume that iMetal gives some kind of advantage over Delta Metal- better sustain, less expensive, or some such.

For comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrN-UQ_1c6w&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 13, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have my eyes on a Vigier Surfreter or a custom axe. Maybe a Godin Glissentar. Haven't seen Hadeans. A painted fingerboard isn't necessarily a sing of a bad guitar: I know of som nice MiJ Stratclones with painted fingerboards, as well as Fernandes limited editions and some others.

But on a budget? I know at one time, Agile made a fretless guitar for well under $1000. Worth checking out.

Yeah it wasn't necessarily the painted fretboard, it was more so the price tag. They're super cheap like around a little over $100 some may be cheaper, which let me know they're definitely not high quality and I might have issues with it if I were to purchase it. I might still get it just because it's cheap and at least I'll get to play one.
Quote by the chemist
I'd only get one if I could easily get a Sustainer in it, because that stuff is fun.

Sustainers are super fun. I see a lot of people getting ebows and Schecters with sustainiac pickups just to play ambient music.
Quote by paramore418
Oh I forgot about that. I had seen that a while back, beautiful playing and awesome guitar. I assume it's quite expensive but I'll definitely have to look it up.

Yeah, they're pricey- as I recall, $3k+.

As for sustainers, etc., I have a Fernandes Ravelle that came with one. Great toy, no question! EBows are also cool, in that you can get similar effects, but with any guitar you own. Got to see Andy Timmons using one up close & personal.

In both cases, there is definitely some new technique to learn. And if your playstyle doesn't support holding notes for a while, a sustainer is pretty pointless.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

In both cases, there is definitely some new technique to learn. And if your playstyle doesn't support holding notes for a while, a sustainer is pretty pointless.

Not quite. Sustainers also do a great job of simulating the sounds that you get via loud volume feedback, as you can set it up to add the octave harmonic to the note or substitute the octave harmonic over time. There are three pots on the Fernandes Sustainer that allow you to set all kinds of additional parameters in this regard, and if you really want fun, run one or two of those pots out to an external pot for control as you play. I've run the Sustainer Intensity pot out to one of what used to be a "tone" pot and it's highly useful.

Note, too, that an eBow will only sustain a single string and only while you have the eBow on the string. You're essentially "picking" with the eBow. The sustainer will sustain more than one note and it will also sustain that note while you pick other notes (advanced technique).
Quote by dspellman
Not quite. Sustainers also do a great job of simulating the sounds that you get via loud volume feedback, as you can set it up to add the octave harmonic to the note or substitute the octave harmonic over time. There are three pots on the Fernandes Sustainer that allow you to set all kinds of additional parameters in this regard, and if you really want fun, run one or two of those pots out to an external pot for control as you play. I've run the Sustainer Intensity pot out to one of what used to be a "tone" pot and it's highly useful.

Note, too, that an eBow will only sustain a single string and only while you have the eBow on the string. You're essentially "picking" with the eBow. The sustainer will sustain more than one note and it will also sustain that note while you pick other notes (advanced technique).

What if you duct tape 6 eBows onto the strings?
Not quite. Sustainers also do a great job of simulating the sounds that you get via loud volume feedback, as you can set it up to add the octave harmonic to the note or substitute the octave harmonic over time.

...which still requires you hold the note for a bit. If your playstyle is very percussive, long on staccato notes and short on the sustain in the first place, the sustainer won't get enough time to generate those octaves.

Don't get me wrong- I love mine- but it doesn't fit all genres equally.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
What if you duct tape 6 eBows onto the strings?

Then they'll all be going all the time. Your right hand will be muting individual strings as part of the technique.

But what if you've got a 12-string?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
...which still requires you hold the note for a bit. If your playstyle is very percussive, long on staccato notes and short on the sustain in the first place, the sustainer won't get enough time to generate those octaves.

Don't get me wrong- I love mine- but it doesn't fit all genres equally.

Yup.
But since you have one, try tweeking those three pots and see what happens.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 14, 2016,
Not much of a one for modding things away from factory unless they actually NEED it.

I'm officially playing Vigier guitars. I got one fretless Surfreter custom and one DoubleBfoot guitar with one fretted neck and one fretless.
Playing fretless offers so much freedom, it's almost like playing a completly diffrent instrument. I highly suggest that you try one out if you get the chance.

Lucky bastard!