Hi everyone.

I have a Engl E530 tube preamp and I discovered, that the Lead channel is extremely noisy, it produces enormous hum, or I don´t know how to better describe it (English is not my 1st language).... it sounds like an extremely overdriven extreme-gain tube amp - even when engaging two noise gates - one in front and one in the loop. Imagine the intensity of the noise/hum of a high-gain amp with dimed gain, but no noise gate. And my Engl sounds approximately like that - but even with thouse two gates engaged. This shit happens only on the lead channel - the clean channel works perfectly. The maximum usable gain on the lead channel is around 12:00 on the lower gain setting - to be able to quiet down the noise with the gates. But nothing above. And absolutely nothing after engaging the "hi" gain setting on the preamp. I don´t know when this gone wrong, I haven´t used the dirty channel for a while and I haven´t used the preamp itself for some time. I am pretty sure that the problem is in the Lead channel of the preamp. I have ruled out everything else (bad pedals, bad cables, bad connections....).

So please, can you imagine what could cause this problem? Or should I just take it straight to my tech?
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Mar 13, 2016,
might be a dodgy tube?

from your post it sounds like it was working before you stopped using it for a while?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
might be a dodgy tube?

from your post it sounds like it was working before you stopped using it for a while?

Exactly. It was working before that.... OK, I´ll try to change the tubes, but that´s about all I have the courage to try myself....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
yeah pretty much. if it's not the tubes then take it to your tech. (also check they're seated properly before forking out for new ones)

i think. maybe some of the other more electronics-types might know of some other easy trouble-shooting tips.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah pretty much. if it's not the tubes then take it to your tech. (also check they're seated properly before forking out for new ones)

i think. maybe some of the other more electronics-types might know of some other easy trouble-shooting tips.

....properly seated? Not a bad idea, thanks, I will check it. In fact they are in a horizontal position in that preamp, as it´s very thin, I mean low, just 1U in a rack.... so maybe they got loose....

But I will wait a bit more and hope for some other tips, before I take the preamp out of my rig - my rack box is a bit complicated one, not easy to pull things out or pop them in....

So anyone else, any other ideas, please?
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That sounds exactly like a preamp tube issue to me. That's probably your best bet.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Might be the preamp tube as ppl suggested, but be sure that you're powering your pedals with individually isolated outlets. I once got a terrible hum when I had two pedals daisy-chained and the ther one was in front of the amp and other one in the fx loop. After investing into good power supplys (ciocks, voodoo lab etc) I've had zero noise issues. Really, if the amp sounds otherwise normal, that would always be the first place to check for me at least.
^ that's worth looking into too, good idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Puuaivo
Might be the preamp tube as ppl suggested, but be sure that you're powering your pedals with individually isolated outlets. I once got a terrible hum when I had two pedals daisy-chained and the ther one was in front of the amp and other one in the fx loop. After investing into good power supplys (ciocks, voodoo lab etc) I've had zero noise issues. Really, if the amp sounds otherwise normal, that would always be the first place to check for me at least.

Thanx, but I have checked that already. I disconnected the complete pedalboard (6 pedals in front, 6 in the loop) and only connected a single noise gate in front and a single noise gate in the loop - with high quality cables, golden Neutrik plugs.... I even tried to disconnect the power supply and only powered those two noise gates with (fresh) batteries - and no change whatsoever - still the same damn f*cking noise in the Lead channel and goddamn motherf*cking noise in the "Hi" mode of the Lead channel....
Gonna have to check those preamp tubes, just haven´t had the time yet....
tubes are cheap. tube depot has JJECC83's for $10ish a pop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
tubes are cheap. tube depot has JJECC83's for $10ish a pop.

I don´t have to buy any, I have a lot of spares: quite a few different JJs (83s, 803s, normal and gold pin), some TungSols, one or two Sovteks.... I just need to dig up the preamp, deeply burried in my complicated rack box....
Last edited by Airfish at Mar 17, 2016,