Hey all. I have a guy that is wanting to trade me this USA Strat that is customized to be like a SRV strat. Looks like it's got scalloped frets and burn mark up on the top of the headstock. Has an extra pickguard with pickups. Was wondering what you guys might value this instrument at? Trying to get a ball park on value.

You mean YJM? That thing has basically no resemblence to an SRV strat. Scalloping on a blonde/maple strat sounds like Malmsteen to me.

Can't value the pickups without knowing what they are, but I'd knock a few hundred bucks off for the "modifications." Value I'd say maybe $500, 600 if the pickups are nice and you actually want a scalloped board. TBH I wouldn't touch that thing unless you really like the scalloping. It's going to be hard to unload if you ever want to sell it. Probably why you're getting the trade offer in the first place, guy is most likely trying to swap it for something he can sell.
Quote by Roc8995
You mean YJM? That thing has basically no resemblence to an SRV strat. Scalloping on a blonde/maple strat sounds like Malmsteen to me.

Ditto that. YJM, all day, every day.

Quote by Roc8995
Can't value the pickups without knowing what they are, but I'd knock a few hundred bucks off for the "modifications." Value I'd say maybe $500, 600 if the pickups are nice and you actually want a scalloped board. TBH I wouldn't touch that thing unless you really like the scalloping. It's going to be hard to unload if you ever want to sell it. Probably why you're getting the trade offer in the first place, guy is most likely trying to swap it for something he can sell.

And more agreement.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Roc8995

Exactly.

The cigarette burn on the headstock is particularly unattractive to me as well. Buying a guitar with a cigarette burn if you're not a smoker yourself looks stupid.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
...unless you can get a major discount on the price because of it...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

A thought: is this a customized Strat, or could this be one of the actual YJM production Strats? If it is the latter, it will be worth much more than if it is the former.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/yngwie-malmsteen-stratocaster

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 14, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
...unless you can get a major discount on the price because of it...

Knowing the logic of most people who allow their guitars to get cigarette burns on them, (heck, the vast majority of said people do it deliberately) the guitar has more likely quadrupled in value.

Even if the guitar is substantially cheaper, its just too unsightly as a non-smoker for me to trade it. I'd at the very least pay someone to remove the mark. Not to mention the smell a smoker's guitar inherits as well.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 14, 2016,
That Strat has nothing in common with SRV's Strats. As mentioned above, scalloped frets are a Malmsteen signature and really are not popular, making a re-sale down the road very difficult. I wouldn't pay more than $ 400 for that guitar, assuming you like how the scalloped frets feel.
22 frets not a YJM neck. looks like someone tried to darken where truss rod adjust is as well it's not a walnut plug. 2 point trem. i kinda doubt this is an actual fender to begin with and as far as SRV it's about as far off as you can get so jut not happening.
i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/