Hey guys,

I just put new tuning machines on my old cheapo strat because the previous ones pissed me off. Now, the new ones won't sit exactly flush with the headstock, though... see here (image is clickable to enlarge)

I understand this is because of the tiny little clamps on the inside of the tuning machines that need to be pushed into the wood of the headstock, I guess? And I need to use a clamp for that?

I'd like to know if this is a problem and how serious it is. And if I should even bother?
Quote by kabadi.man
a pic of one not installed on the guitar would help us see whats going on

This is not one of the tuners, but you can see the little clamps I'm talking about.
Yes a pic of just the tuner would help. I suspect you need to open the holes a little because the post is a little to big at the bottom. Just a guess. It's not unusual to have to do a little filing or drilling when you install new tuners that are not an exact match to the old ones.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
If those case/housing tabs extend below the bottom of the tuners and prevent them from sitting flush, you bought crappy tuners.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 14, 2016,
They're identical, yeah. And as for the collar you mention, I just left the previous ones on there and pushed the new tuners through. After I made the hole a little bit bigger to fit them through, they fitted through the collar no problem.

//edit: I can live with crappy tuners. But is this something that damages my guitar/headstock/whatever? Do I need to get this fixed ASAP?
Last edited by Silky90 at Mar 14, 2016,
Quote by Silky90
They're identical, yeah. And as for the collar you mention, I just left the previous ones on there and pushed the new tuners through. After I made the hole a little bit bigger to fit them through, they fitted through the collar no problem.

//edit: I can live with crappy tuners. But is this something that damages my guitar/headstock/whatever? Do I need to get this fixed ASAP?

I wouldn't overlook the importance of good tuners. It's one of the cheapest components to change that will have a big result.
Quote by badfish_lewis
I wouldn't overlook the importance of good tuners. It's one of the cheapest components to change that will have a big result.

...Okay, so obviously you guys wouldn't worry about it. That's all I wanted to know
Last edited by Silky90 at Mar 14, 2016,