As of now I have a Marshall mg30cfx and I see a guy advertising a peavey vypyr 100 online. Would this be a good upgrade? For metal? I do practice in my bedroom a lot but I'd like to start gigging soon (mainly why I want a high wattage) would I be able to get away with this on low volume? Or atleast not too loud? I'm used to annoying neighbours with noise XD. But yeah I mainly play metal and that's my main concern.
Well it is a decent enough amp and an upgrade over an MG but the only problem is I have the 30 watt version and I have to have the post gain pretty low on all amp models and the volume at no more than 2 or 3 before it starts blasting things off the walls and that.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
The Vypyr 100 would wipe the floor with any MG and then some. It would literally be 100X better than your MG. Do it now and don't look back.

I had a Vypyr 30 head for a while and even that head could get pretty loud, especially pushing a 412 cab. Loud enough to gig with for sure. I think what you'll find with the 100 is that if you push it to gig volumes, you'll find that the low-end is a lot stronger and clearer at those volumes than a 30 watt amp. The 6505, Rectifier, and Diezel models will be your go-to models for metal. They all do a very respectable job modeling their real counterparts (especially for the price).

Don't worry about it sounding good at low volumes. It pretty much sounds the same even at whisper volumes. Almost all amps can sound good at low volumes. I play my real 6505 through a 412 cab at bedroom volumes all the time and it sounds even better than the Vypyr did. Of course, it sounds better cranked -- but most amps do.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
It's a fine budget amp provided you don't use the clean channel, like, ever.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It's not the worst clean, it just isn't very.... lively. The distortion models more than make up for it though.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I do own the 30w version. For that budget, it is one of the best amps. The distortions sounds great without any pedals and it's loud as hell.

However, I guess, it's not that durable. Some of the knobs wore out and don't react that well after 4 years in use (1 year with gigs).
Quote by JustRooster
Pedals don't fix bad cleans.

What are you talking about? The cleans aren't bad at all. Not as good as a Fender Twin, but FAR from terrible.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
id try to find a tube 60.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by KailM
What are you talking about? The cleans aren't bad at all. Not as good as a Fender Twin, but FAR from terrible.

The side of me that understands good manners would want to agree to disagree, but the side of me that's not deaf knows you're wrong. Not that it matters much, it's for metal. The genre isn't a haven for glassy cleans for the most part.
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 14, 2016,
Ok ok.. I'm still getting it though I'd rather one that's kickass for metal and just "okay-not very good" on clean than not good at all-- my MG
^^You'll be happy with the cleans; they're better than your MG's cleans by a fair bit.

I don't know what JustRooster is going on about. Maybe he's comparing a $150 amp to a vintage Fender Twin or Blackface. Of course it's not going to compare with the best cleans ever; against amps that cost 5X the price.

It's all subjective anyway -- there's no "right" or "wrong" way to interpret tone. Suffice it to say though, I own a Classic 30 which is generally regarded to have beautiful cleans; have played various Fenders, Mesas, Marshalls, Engls, known for their excellent cleans and it would never occur to me to tell someone not to buy a Peavey Vypyr because of its cleans.

For what it's worth, I actually sold mine because, while its high-gain tones were great for a $100-200 modeling amp -- at the end of the day I also have a 6505+ and there is a clear difference between the real thing and the modeler. I just wasn't playing the Vypyr and needed the money for pedals...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 15, 2016,
This guy is no longer selling the 100w so I think I may just have to go for the vip 2 instead. I'll have to sell my mg and Ibanez rg350dx floyd rose for this. Actually I'd probably be able to get the vip 3. Would this be still worth it? I'll still have my ESP ec 331
Quote by Guitar_Noob325
Ok ok.. I'm still getting it though I'd rather one that's kickass for metal and just "okay-not very good" on clean than not good at all-- my MG

Then the Vyper is more than fine!
Try to find a used peavey vypyr tube 60 it will blow the 100 and VIP away easily. They go for 200-250 used online.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A