"Despair" is a headbanger. The guitar phrasing here is very thrashy. I felt the kick was a little too present in the mix and it distracted me a little bit. The riff at 0:35-0:53 is sick! The note choice at 3:20 sounded a bit off to me at first. I listed to that section again and thought it was an interesting contrast. I think this track could benefit from the addition of a vocal track.

Could you check out my track "Mind and body" at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1698654 ?
Hello.

As said above - nice riffs and cool guitar tone to suit it.

I think the area to work is the sound of the drums. The kick definitely sounds weird to me. I dont know whether its the reverb you are using, but it sounds very unnatural. Theres almost like a clacking sound when the kick hits. I dont know it just doesnt sound right to me. The snare rolls also sound very robotic. Maybe try varying the velocity of the hits slightly when you program them.

Anyway, I like the direction its heading in and the riffs are good. So it's generally a win.

If you fancy checking out my stuff - my latest track is here

Cheers
Thank you all for comments!

Yeah I didn't know that one shouldn't send kick to reverb bus. But I don't know what's wrong with snare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjP0Y5A-MkY

Here I made a video demo for marshall jcm 900 where I play this song. There is no reverb on the kick and I pitched the snare little bit down. Does it sound better?
Quote by EY8CC
Thank you all for comments!

Yeah I didn't know that one shouldn't send kick to reverb bus. But I don't know what's wrong with snare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjP0Y5A-MkY

Here I made a video demo for marshall jcm 900 where I play this song. There is no reverb on the kick and I pitched the snare little bit down. Does it sound better?

Hey man.

First off - Kick sounds much better!

As for the snare. I'm not sure. Sound wise - I think it is very focused on the high frequencies. Try adding a little bit of low end to it - maybe a couple of db boost around 150 - 200hz to bring out the low end. You may need to cut a couple of db out of the guitars at the same frequency to get it to stand out in the mix. It's all trial and error really.

For the drums to sound realistic on rolls and fills, you need to programe them with different velocities for each successive hit. In a good sample kit, the different velocities of hit correspond to slightly different samples, so you get a more realistic sound (when a drummer hits with each hand he strikes the drum in a slightly different place with slightly different power so the sound is subtley different).

Hopefully that makes some useful sense.

Cheers
HAHA fucking love that riff you start with. In fact there are some amazing riffs in there and I love the energy of the song.

If it wasn't for the fact I work my ass off too much to have the time, I'd be asking you if I could re-arrange it and record vocals for it!

Good job man
Quote by RabidBadger
Hey man.

First off - Kick sounds much better!

As for the snare. I'm not sure. Sound wise - I think it is very focused on the high frequencies. Try adding a little bit of low end to it - maybe a couple of db boost around 150 - 200hz to bring out the low end. You may need to cut a couple of db out of the guitars at the same frequency to get it to stand out in the mix. It's all trial and error really.

For the drums to sound realistic on rolls and fills, you need to programe them with different velocities for each successive hit. In a good sample kit, the different velocities of hit correspond to slightly different samples, so you get a more realistic sound (when a drummer hits with each hand he strikes the drum in a slightly different place with slightly different power so the sound is subtley different).

Hopefully that makes some useful sense.

Cheers

I didn't know how to eq the snare so I watched Fluff's (Audio engineer in YouTube) video where he uses the same snare as I used in my song and he cut 150-200 hz. I did the same. That's why it is lacking bodom. I don't know why he did it. I will boost these frequencies next time and use different velocities. Thank you! It is very useful!
Last edited by EY8CC at Mar 23, 2016,
Quote by karstaag666
HAHA fucking love that riff you start with. In fact there are some amazing riffs in there and I love the energy of the song.

If it wasn't for the fact I work my ass off too much to have the time, I'd be asking you if I could re-arrange it and record vocals for it!

Good job man

Thank you! I am glad to hear that. I want to add vocals to the song but it is not happening soon because when I sing people cry so I am taking vocal classes hopefully one day I will be ready to do that