Hi People.

I have only been playing a few weeks in this time I had a few problems with chords but worked on them. But in this time I been getting a buzzing I have been told the guitar needs a set up as you can not just play from out the box ?? .. My music shop said it will be £35 - £40 to put right I only paid £54.99 Falcon F300 also was told you need this every few months. I don't have a lot of money to spend ... Thanks
well if a setup is over half the cost of the instrument, I'd say you under-invested in the instrument. New guitars will pretty much always need to be set up. Ideally a shop will do this for you if you purchase an instrument, but you might have had better luck asking right away than a few weeks later.

But have you tried putting new strings on? Are you keeping it in tune? Being new also means you're just going to get buzzy noises until your technique is more precise. I'd put on new strings before anything else.

You can also take a picture looking straight up or down the neck and someone here can tell you if it's warped. Acoustic guitars are particularly vulnerable to temperature/humidity, being big hollow wooden boxes.
Not likely. You should replace your acoustic's strings every couple months to keep it sounding its best, but I wouldn't bother getting it set up again until you're actually getting problems. Buzzing, dead notes, uneven action (string height), poor intonation (higher frets not in tune with lower frets).
Last edited by cdgraves at Mar 14, 2016,
Youtube might serve you well. Should be able to google that instrument and get a step by step of whatever you need. I think its a good thing to be able to do some things on the guitar yourself.
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by malinios
Hi People.

I have only been playing a few weeks in this time I had a few problems with chords but worked on them. But in this time I been getting a buzzing I have been told the guitar needs a set up as you can not just play from out the box ?? .. My music shop said it will be £35 - £40 to put right I only paid £54.99 Falcon F300 also was told you need this every few months. I don't have a lot of money to spend ... Thanks

Well the price of a guitar speaks volumes on it's quality. The less it costs the more problems or lack of quality you will experience.

NOT all guitars need a setup out of the box but many do. Which is sad considering they are new.

The buzzing noise could be one of 3 things or a combination:
Guitar issues
Strings
Technique

If you been only playing for a few weeks it very well could be you. I would say for now just ignore the buzzing and focus on technique. Finger close the fret as possible or make some distance. Finger position can effect the sound a great deal and if you are not pushing down hard enough or touching other strings. It all can come down to technique.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Find a good local luthier (someone who specializes in this type of stuff) they normally charge a lot less than big guitar stores. Or if you have a friend that played guitar a while you could get them to have a look.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
I'm a technician at a music store. I can tell you that almost every guitar I've ever seen come in new needs a setup. It's amazing what a few tweaks can do. In my opinion though, people shouldn't invest money in cheap guitars, it's seriously a waste of wood. Unfortunately, your guitar will need a lot of work, and 100% sure some of the frets are uneven. That's the bad thing about buying cheap guitars man. Take this thing in for a setup and then start saving money for a much better guitar and be happy!
From my experience buzzing is pretty synonymous with guitars of that quality as well as if your finger isn't hitting the fret exactly right utilizing proper technique. I would suggest practicing more and not getting discouraged if it doesnt sound perfect or if it sounds off.

If you feel you are going to be playing guitar for a long time, ie you are falling in love with it, I would definitely suggest getting a new guitar and invest some money into it. You may not notice the difference right now between a really nice guitar and a guitar you have right now but as you progress you will definitely know the difference and be glad you invested in a good guitar. Also if the guitar sounds good then it might be a good reason to pick it up and practice more!
Guitar player, singer/songwriter and live music junkie!

Check out my blog www.theleadguitar.com . Love talking gear!