Hey guys, I've been considering buying an electric 7-string baritone guitar, but I have a few questions first before I slap down the money for it. I searched the forum for a topic like this and didn't find it, so if these questions have been answered before a link to the thread would be nice.

First, would you say the fret size on a baritone is comparable or bigger than that of a guitar with jumbo frets or a bass guitar's frets? I have small-ish hands, and since I'm stuck in a place where I can't play a baritone in person, I want to ask opinions on fret size before finding out the hard way. I've played jumbo frets and bass guitars pretty easily, so if it's anything like that I won't have a problem.

Second, what kind of strings would you recommend for a 7-string baritone? I did some noodling around and found strings specifically for 7-string guitars, or for baritone guitars. I didn't find any for both, but I may have missed something. Would large gauge 7-strings work?

Third, I'm going to replace the pickups in it when/if I get it. It is currently set up with factory-stock humbuckers(2), and a single coil in the middle. I don't care too much about the single coil, but I do want to put some new humbuckers in it. Would something like an EMG 60-7 work okay for a baritone? Does the fact that it's a baritone matter at all when choosing pickups?

And fourth, just out of curiosity, what do you most commonly use your baritones for, genre-wise? My intention is just to experiment with a new sound and range, and probably use it for some metal and classical guitar pieces.

Thanks!
Quote by guitargirlsings

First, would you say the fret size on a baritone is comparable or bigger than that of a guitar with jumbo frets or a bass guitar's frets? I have small-ish hands, and since I'm stuck in a place where I can't play a baritone in person, I want to ask opinions on fret size before finding out the hard way. I've played jumbo frets and bass guitars pretty easily, so if it's anything like that I won't have a problem.

It depends on what brand you're talking about.

Of course, if a particular size of fretwire was going to be used that wasn't just the typical size for that brand, they would've said so. It would be in their best interest otherwise that would be a marketing bullet point out of the window.

The names for fret sizes that are thrown around such as 'vintage', medium-jumbo, extra jumbo etc. are pretty arbitrary names. There are different sizes of each kind and different brands call different sizes of fret the same name. Do some research yourself on what size of fretwire you'd expect to find on an Ibanez, Jackson etc. and compare that to the size of a standard Dunlop size. I think for example Jacksons typically used Dunlop 6100 wire, but I'm not too sure.
Second, what kind of strings would you recommend for a 7-string baritone? I did some noodling around and found strings specifically for 7-string guitars, or for baritone guitars. I didn't find any for both, but I may have missed something. Would large gauge 7-strings work?

It depends on what tuning you're going to use.

The point of extending the scale length of an instrument is to not require such heavy strings for any given tuning. Strings are cheap so I'd experiment with different gauges and find the size you like through trial and error.

Third, I'm going to replace the pickups in it when/if I get it. It is currently set up with factory-stock humbuckers(2), and a single coil in the middle. I don't care too much about the single coil, but I do want to put some new humbuckers in it. Would something like an EMG 60-7 work okay for a baritone? Does the fact that it's a baritone matter at all when choosing pickups?

Buying a set of pickups right after buying a new guitar is a really poor idea. You don't even know if you're going to like the stock ones yet!

Not to mention the amp you're using is going to make a far greater difference in the grander scheme of things. I'd suggest playing with the guitar stock for a good while and consider what you like and don't like about your particular setup. You're not going to know that if you buy new pickups straight away.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend