I've always been metal guy and metal setups are all I really know, but I love and play worship and have a passion for it. I use a EVH 5150iii 50w with the matching 212 in a Isolation box. I can get pretty much everything I need from it. From sparkly cleans to high gain shred tone. Usually I see worship guitarist with a Vox AC15, some POD system, or even go strait to the board (yuck). I do love the Vox tone (and sometimes envy the tone when one is pushed into breakup), but my 5150iii 50w does me fine. The only flaw is that it's a pain to haul around because of the isolation box.
So any other worship guitarists use high gain amps?
God bless
Last edited by Westwaffels at Mar 14, 2016,
I've seen the occasional worship guitarist on this forum, but not many. You might not get the advice you're looking for, but I'd say if it sounds good it's good. I'm sure there will be others in your audience who enjoy a high gain tone- it's just up to you to make good music with it.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
A lot of gain into the mic isn't generally as "hi-fi" as a lot of worship seems to aspire to. A lot of the tones are generally sterile, I think. I wish more would use 5150's.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I don't know that I'd consider myself a 'worship' guitarist, but when I was playing at church I used a Mesa Stiletto. Of course, I had it tamed a bit compared to my usual paint-peeling br00tz settings. But it sounded good, except the audience wasn't really ready for electric guitar yet...
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
it sounded good, except the audience wasn't really ready for electric guitar yet...

But their kids are gonna love it.
^ A remarkably applicable reference in this case!
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
It isn't used by anyone at the service I personally attend most often- we have at least 8 between Saturday and Sunday evening- but someone in our church's music ministry uses/used an Orange combo.

My guess is that it belongs to someone in the group that plays for the teen/YA service, which is a pretty large & rocking band.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 15, 2016,
Quote by BCKRedBaron
I don't know that I'd consider myself a 'worship' guitarist, but when I was playing at church I used a Mesa Stiletto. Of course, I had it tamed a bit compared to my usual paint-peeling br00tz settings. But it sounded good, except the audience wasn't really ready for electric guitar yet...

Haha I live pretty far from any music stores and I don't have much musician friends. The only time I have actually seen a Mesa in real life was when I had seen group called GO ministries. They are a traveling christian internship that has dramas, preaching, and worship, ect.. They seemed to be be using a mark five head (not enitrely sure though) running into a doctorZ 212. It sounded friggin sick. Very talented and blessed group.
Usally when I see other local and smalltime worship bands play the guitar rig is always basic or nonexistent(running strait into the board). It's the only time I've seen a worship band using a high gain setup and post reminded me of that. God bless
Last edited by Westwaffels at Mar 15, 2016,
My church (i run sound), uses 65 amps and matchless for the main services. Not near high gain... Haha. Occasionally we will rough it with a brown face bassman. I must say that we have the best worship to e I have ever heard. Lol.

Every once in a while the high school group has a harder rock night, and they used a Rockerverb and not too long ago I let them use my 5150.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
My church (i run sound), uses 65 amps and matchless for the main services. Not near high gain... Haha. Occasionally we will rough it with a brown face bassman. I must say that we have the best worship to e I have ever heard. Lol.

Every once in a while the high school group has a harder rock night, and they used a Rockerverb and not too long ago I let them use my 5150.

Hahaha A Rockerverb and 5150. Sounds like a good time.
Haha I recently got the 6505mh (the thing is a beast!) and I'm working on getting the matching 112 loaded with a greenback. Every once in a while I'll get one my friends who plays at another church to play with us and he usually get stuck with my peavey Vypyr. Once I get the cab we can start making the old folks even more upset.
(Lol I actually have alot of the old folks actually compliment me at my church.)
Quote by Westwaffels
Hahaha A Rockerverb and 5150. Sounds like a good time.
Haha I recently got the 6505mh (the thing is a beast!) and I'm working on getting the matching 112 loaded with a greenback. Every once in a while I'll get one my friends who plays at another church to play with us and he usually get stuck with my peavey Vypyr. Once I get the cab we can start making the old folks even more upset.
(Lol I actually have alot of the old folks actually compliment me at my church.)

i have been offered a position to play. several times. however, i just can't get into playing P&W music. not my thing as far as the music goes , so i run sound.

the highschool kids actually aren't half bad. there are a couple of Christian metal bands out there that they play once in a while.

i have looked at those peavy MH's and i think they are pretty cool. i already have too many amps that don't get used much. besides that i have a 5150 block letter. and my dual terror loves an OD and can nail metal pretty well if i need something small.

i haven't tried it (so don't take my thought as the end all be all), but i am not sure if i would go with a greenback with a 5150/6505+/MH, etc. i would look for a K85/K100 and go with that or a V30. my 5150 likes V30's more than greenbacks. greenbacks are awesome speakers, but not my go to metal speaker. however they do get massive for the doom metal kind of stuff.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hmm...if you're looking for something high-ish gain but more portable, maybe one of those Carvin Vai amps?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmm...if you're looking for something high-ish gain but more portable, maybe one of those Carvin Vai amps?

I was actually gonna buy the legacy 3, but I just went ahead and got the 6505mh.
I almost got it purely off of the specs, but it seemed a little too dark and it didn't really click with me on a tonal level. But I love their guitars though!
God bless
Last edited by Westwaffels at Mar 15, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have been offered a position to play. several times. however, i just can't get into playing P&W music. not my thing as far as the music goes , so i run sound.

the highschool kids actually aren't half bad. there are a couple of Christian metal bands out there that they play once in a while.
i have looked at those peavy MH's and i think they are pretty cool. i already have too many amps that don't get used much. besides that i have a 5150 block letter. and my dual terror loves an OD and can nail metal pretty well if i need something small.

i haven't tried it (so don't take my thought as the end all be all), but i am not sure if i would go with a greenback with a 5150/6505+/MH, etc. i would look for a K85/K100 and go with that or a V30. my 5150 likes V30's more than greenbacks. greenbacks are awesome speakers, but not my go to metal speaker. however they do get massive for the doom metal kind of stuff.

I'm leaning towards the greenback mostly because from my understading of its eq. I ran the 6505mh tnru my EVH 5150iii 212 loaded with G12h's and didn't dig the results. From my understanding the V30's along with the G12h's seem to have like a scoop in thier eq and the highs are a little sizzlely for me. The greenback seems to have a little flatter eq. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. God bless
Regardless of whether it's worship music or any other kind of music, the gear should match the style of music you're playing. But particularly in worship music it's not about YOU, it's about connecting with the audience in a very specific way. And that's not really up to you. That's up to the worship leader or the pastor. You're only there to help achieve it.

That being said, not all worship bands are the same. So depending on the direction of that band a high gain amp could be a potential fit. This is one of the reasons you see a lot of people using PODs in worship bands so they can easily adapt to the different styles of worship music.

Asking what other people use isn't really going to be that useful I don't think, because worship environments are vastly different. The question for you is what would a high gain metal amp add to the worship environment, and is it in line with what your church wants for worship?
Last edited by dunedindragon at Mar 15, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Can confirm, these are awesome.
I wish. Our main guitarist used a Fender Superchamp XD with a line out to the board. First it was no more modern Marshall setting, then no distortion whatsoever, then no electric guitar at all. At that point, he split and I took over and played only acoustic. After a few months, it was back to organ only and the whole P&W crew was disbanded. A real shame - we had a great group that played well together and had a great time.
If you have the ability to mic the amp, or it's a small venue, check out the Fender Super Sonic 22. Low wattage, portable combo. The distortion on it is voiced to be more Marshall, and the cleans are, well, a tube Fender.
We have used Mesa, Orange, Bogner, Matchless, and Fender amps for most of our P&W music. We are a large church with several different venues featuring Christian Rock, Jazz, Soul Celebration, Latin, and acoustic worship music. Over 100 musicians including Les Carlson "Bloodgood", Oz Fox "Stryper", and several members of EWF serve as part of our worship team.

Earn the trust of your pastor and worship leader, And get permission to introduce new ideas that will open doors for heavier guitar-driven youth worship music. Running a hi gain amp at full song in a main worship service with mixed families of young and old has never worked for us.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Bloodgood? Man, haven't heard THAT name in a while.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Bloodgood? Man, haven't heard THAT name in a while.

Yep, they were pretty big in the 80s and took 20 yrs off to raise their families. Back together in 2006 with tours and a recent album release. Their music is not my thing but they do still open a lot of hearts and minds. Good guys.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodgood
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hard for me to say. There are fewer pure Christian rock bands getting my attention these days...well, TBH, ever. I'm far more likely to get into rock bands with strong Christian themes, like U2 or King's X, as opposed to actual, straight up Christian rock bands.

For instance, one of the last ones I remember getting into was POD, but they're much more secular than bands like Bloodgood or Stryper ever were.

And it isn't about their themes, obviously, but about their style and songcraft. Most of the pure Christian rock bands of today like Jars of Clay and Third Day just sound...weak. Bland? Whatever it is their doing, it isn't grabbing me musically, so their message isn't really reaching me.

One that I DO like, however, is the guy who is the music minister at our church, Curtis Stephen. He's a pretty complex artist; he's a multi-instrumentalist who has a masters in jazz. I've heard his secular stuff at the occasional dance gig, and of course, I hear the stuff he has written for actual Catholic service music every week.

But he also does record Christian rock albums every once in a while- sometimes with Andy Timmons playing lead electric. IMHO, his album Through the Storm was a tour de force. It ranges from high energy stuff that wouldn't sound musically out of place on a secular classic rock station to a n acoustic song he wrote for his deceased youngest sister. That one reminded me immediately of Clapton's Tears in Heaven, not so much in terms of style, but in terms of it being among the most beautiful rock eulogies I've heard.

http://www.amazon.com/Through-Storm-Curtis-Stephan/dp/B000A7DYK6

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 15, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster
If you have the ability to mic the amp, or it's a small venue, check out the Fender Super Sonic 22. Low wattage, portable combo. The distortion on it is voiced to be more Marshall, and the cleans are, well, a tube Fender.

Haha That one was a contender when I was buying the 5150iii 50w. I had heard about those because I had watched a rig rundown of Primus (I friggin love Primus!) and their guitarist Larry LaLonde was using the heads run thru the EVH 5150iii 412s. I would still like to get one of those one of these days, but right now money is short and I got a cab, pickups for my seven string, and Toontrack EZdrummer2 to buy. God bless
Quote by dunedindragon
Regardless of whether it's worship music or any other kind of music, the gear should match the style of music you're playing. But particularly in worship music it's not about YOU, it's about connecting with the audience in a very specific way. And that's not really up to you. That's up to the worship leader or the pastor. You're only there to help achieve it.

That being said, not all worship bands are the same. So depending on the direction of that band a high gain amp could be a potential fit. This is one of the reasons you see a lot of people using PODs in worship bands so they can easily adapt to the different styles of worship music.

Asking what other people use isn't really going to be that useful I don't think, because worship environments are vastly different. The question for you is what would a high gain metal amp add to the worship environment, and is it in line with what your church wants for worship?

Haha I understand. I'm asking more out of curiosity. I'm not really looking for alternatives, but more just asking who else is out there that uses high gains amps in a worship setting. The worship leader at my church is very lenient and lets me use what I feel needs to be used as far as tone goes. That being said I don't go crazy with the gain. Haha I try my best to make the song as good as I can get it, and having 3 channels with different gain structures helps me a lot. I like what you said in the beginning paragraph in that regardless what gear you use, it should match the style of your playing. There are no rules to this. If it helps you get the job done then it's the right amp. (I also didn't mean to dog on the POD system so I apologize if I came of as off as rude. ) God bless
So do you play a 7-string in worship music? I did! No regrets.

It looks like my congregation is working on another service geared more towards young adults/youth. I think this could be a setting where I have a bit more freedom to branch out (within tasteful limits of course) than in the main service. In preparation for hopefully getting more opportunities to play I'm working on my rig; new pedalboard and getting my Peavey Classic 50 fixed. I feel like that amp might be better for a worship setting. We'll see how it goes.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
So do you play a 7-string in worship music? I did! No regrets.

It looks like my congregation is working on another service geared more towards young adults/youth. I think this could be a setting where I have a bit more freedom to branch out (within tasteful limits of course) than in the main service. In preparation for hopefully getting more opportunities to play I'm working on my rig; new pedalboard and getting my Peavey Classic 50 fixed. I feel like that amp might be better for a worship setting. We'll see how it goes.

Haha yup! I use a cheapy Jackson Dx7. Yes I know it's cheap and some would set fire to it, but I got it at a pawn shop for 99$. Lol It had 2 big gashes and the electronics were out of commission. I decided to get it because I've never played a 7 string and I though it would make a fun project. I took it home and rewired it and surprisingly it played great. It has zero fret buzz and keeps tune like a champ. The only problem is the pickups are really flubby and muddy. Ive grown to love the guitar and I've covered it with stickers since it's cheap and I really don't care about it's appearance. It's my ugly guitar
I wanna put dimarzio titans in her. Maybe some weird color like yellow or green just to make her look even wilder.

And good luck with your setup. Hope the repairs on the peavey classic 50 go well!
God bless
As long as you can get the tone that you want out of the amp I don't see a problem with it being hi-gain. I also play metal and P&W but decided to go with an amp that had a good clean channel and use pedals for my church setup.