So I'm currently bidding on the two guitars on Ebay. I'm trying to snipe them for under $230 and so far it's going well. Does anyone recommend either guitar?

The only reason I'm bidding on the L400 is because it's black, has a pair of EMG GFS Pickups installed, already has a lowered action and is going to be the cheaper of the two. I mainly play pop-punk and some C-B tuning stuff.

The Epiphone that's listed is 100% stock and states that it's probably been played twice. Other than that not much info on it other than it's Starburst colored.
The GFS actives are really cheap, aren't they? Like $50 a set or something, I thought. And lower action is just setup, that's free to do yourself and it's going to shift in shipping anyway. Plus if you're going to downtune it that far, you're going to have to set it up again anyway to deal with the larger strings. I doubt it's set up for B right now.

I haven't played many Stagg guitars but I don't remember being particularly impressed. I feel like a decent used Epi with some smart modifications is going to be a noticeably better guitar here even if it costs a little bit extra.
I would personally go for the Epiphone. I don't like Epiphone very much, but they're a damn sight better than Stagg.

Also those GFS actives are awful. Just letting you know.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Epiphone everytime.

Stagg are cheap guitars built to a low budget. You may get lucky with something decent, but there's probably only a 5% chance of it happening. At least with Epiphone you know you're getting something decent.

I'm talking £s not $s, but I've bought 2 Stagg guitars over the years. Both had issues, and both cost me less than £40. If you're considering paying $230, you're paying too much.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The Epiphone is a better guitar.

Yeah, I like GFS pickups ( I have several different versions in different guitars, but their active pickups are garbage.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Epiphone

Stagg
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge