Page 1 of 5
I work at a dog daycare and a few nights ago a customer dropped off their dog Zoey to be boarded for 3 or 4 days (can't remember how long) which cost 105 or 140 dollars. Zoey is diabetic and gets insulin shots twice a day. She gets 2.5 units twice a day. I've never given insulin shots before so my coworker quickly taught me how to do it.

The next day I gave the dog it's insulin shots twice. One in the morning and one in the evening. The next morning I get a phone call from one of my bosses (I have two bosses who are also the owners of the dog daycare) saying Zoey is shaking and not doing well and if I gave Zoey her insulin shots. I told him I did and he said okay just wanted to make sure before we take her to the hospital.

I get to work at my scheduled time at two in the afternoon. I spent the whole day worrying about Zoey and if I had given her her shots right. The first thing I do when I get there is ask one of my bosses if Zoey is okay. He tells me no and that Zoey is still in the hospital and might not make it. He then ask me how much insulin I gave Zoey. I said 2.5. Then he says okay can you show me how much you gave her. I said yeah and he got one of Zoey's syringes. I showed him were I filled it up to and he said that's the problem. That's not 2.5 that 25.

TLDR;

Stupid me gave a dog ten times the insulin she needed twice in a day and now she might die. So yeah I'm not feeling too great. I may have killed somebody else's dog and my bosses are stuck with a huge vet bill and are not going to get the 105 or 140 dollars for the boarding. So yeah I feel terrible.
I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given.
Quote by mattedbird
dang, that sucks. is the boss gonna keep it on the low-down?

What do you mean like not tell the owner? If that's what you mean then yeah. He said that they could get sued for that. So we are just going to say that we gave the insulin shots correctly and we don't know why she went into shock but we did everything we could and sent her to the vet right away.
Quote by mr.******
What do you mean like not tell the owner? If that's what you mean then yeah. He said that they could get sued for that. So we are just going to say that we gave the insulin shots correctly and we don't know why she went into shock but we did everything we could and sent her to the vet right away.

that's what I meant

well I guess at least you don't have to deal with the family. that might be rough(er)
I don't know man. I feel like you shouldn't be held responsible. There are different types of syringes and when I was first given my therapy medicine for allergies, the technician gave me the first dose in a larger syringe meanwhile the pharmacy gave me the extra syringes in a different size and I was stuck for a few hours looking at google the difference between mm and units

I'm sure you feel incredibly guilty right now but if you've never administered medication before you shouldn't be held responsible. You're not a vet.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Mar 14, 2016,
Quote by mr.******
Yeah well you probably should be.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
In fact, you should sue your boss for making you do this since you weren't qualified and shouldn't have been the one to ro it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by mattedbird
that's what I meant

well I guess at least you don't have to deal with the family. that might be rough(er)

I don't know. I don't like us not telling the owner the truth but I don't want the business to get shut down. It wasn't my idea to keep things hush hush.
Quote by metaldud536
I don't know man. I feel like you shouldn't be held responsible. There are different types of syringes and when I was first given my therapy medicine for allergies, the technician gave me the first dose in a larger syringe meanwhile the pharmacy gave me the extra syringes in a different size and I was stuck for a few hours looking at google the difference between mm and units

I'm sure you feel incredibly guilty right now but if you've never administered medication before you shouldn't be held responsible. You're not a vet.

At least you were smart enough to take the time to make sure you did it right.
it's not like you did it on purpose. I agree with the not being qualified part. the guilt will pass. sounds like your bosses problem
Your business perhaps shouldn't stay open if their(your) negligence results in the death of other people's pets.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by theogonia777
In fact, you should sue your boss for making you do this since you weren't qualified and shouldn't have been the one to ro it.

My bosses were pretty cool about it. They don't work the weekends and it was over the weekend. But they knew Zoey was coming in because she had reservations but they just forgot she was diabetic. They would of shown me how to do it if they remembered. They say that they take full responsibility for it and when I offered to help pay the vet bill they refused.
Last edited by mr.retard at Mar 14, 2016,
Quote by theogonia777

I voted this route.

I don't know why we keep diabetic humans alive, much less dogs.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Well, I hope it's not a lot of trouble getting through that knowing what you did.
DUDE! That sucks, I'm sorry

You have to realize it was an honest mistake though. Obviously you would never hurt someones dog on purpose. Anyone could have made the same error. Try not to blame yourself. Of course you will feel bad, but don't let it fester in your mind or you will make yourself crazy.
Accidents happen, so don't feel too guilty if it does die...

Quote by mr.******
but I am very not alright with this. Your boss SHOULD get sued.

If that means the company gets shut down, that's purely on him, not you.
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 15, 2016,
How hard is it to measure 2.5 units? Not trying to be mean, just wondering how easy/difficult a mistake it was to make.

Hope the dog pulls through.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by mr.******
They say that they take full responsibility for it

As in lying to the family so they don't get sued?

Accidents happen, don't beat yourself up too bad. On the other hand, that business sounds like it needs to get shut down.

And really, how is lying to them going to help, anyway? They're gonna say she got the proper amount of insulin, then suddenly died at the vet? The family will just call the vet, who will tell them it died of a massive insulin overdose. Even if they don't tell the vet, the vet is obviously going to know what happened. A diabetic dog started shaking violently after getting it's shot; it's not exactly a mystery. Then the business is DEFINITELY getting sued.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Last edited by BledGhostWhite at Mar 15, 2016,
I feel like you probably should've gotten some proper training on that sort of thing before doing it. Pretty unfortunate.

Given my understanding of diabetes, I feel like all you'd need to do is give it some glucose? If it can't take anything by mouth, then maybe intravenously. And maybe some glucagon too, to help its body release some glucose.

Quote by toateridax2010
It was unintentional, that's okay.

But...how the hell does a DOG get Diabetes?

It's probably Type I, same kinda thing as humans who are born with diabetes (pancreas is fukt and can't make/secrete insulin). Some breeds are at a higher risk for it.
Quote by BledGhostWhite
And really, how is lying to them going to help, anyway? They're gonna say she got the proper amount of insulin, then suddenly died at the vet? The family will just call the vet, who will tell them it died of a massive insulin overdose. Even if they don't tell the vet, the vet is obviously going to know what happened. A diabetic dog started shaking violently after getting it's shot; it's not exactly a mystery. Then the business is DEFINITELY getting sued.
Actually was going to mention this too.

Whether it pulls through or not, the vets will know what happened.
Quote by mattedbird
how old is the dog?

Don't know. I think pretty old though because she said she has vision problems but I never noticed anything. She seemed to get around fine.
yeah I don't know, this is tricky. If the dog was having problems, maybe the news wont be as harsh to the owners. offer them a new dog if this one doesn't pull through.

they don't need to know how much extra you gave
Last edited by mattedbird at Mar 15, 2016,
And try to pass it off as Zoey
Quote by Cardbored
How hard is it to measure 2.5 units? Not trying to be mean, just wondering how easy/difficult a mistake it was to make.

Hope the dog pulls through.

Basically 3rd grade math, so in other words, mr. ****** is an apt name for OP.

But yeah, you probably shouldn't have done it if you weren't comfortable. I'd be pretty fucking pissed if some dipshit killed my dog due to incompetence. It's your boss's responsibility to ensure you're trained, but it's still on you to make the call. I know you didn't do it on purpose and you probably feel like shit about it, but I hope you at least take something away from it.

Lying to the customer is also pretty shitty, business sounds mega scummy. Hope it gets sued to fuck.
Your boss is an ass for trying to cover this up, and while you probably did cause the dog's eventual death, you really shouldn't be that heavily reprimanded because you were shown the basics and not shown how to give a correct dosage, so you can't really be told you were incompetent because to the best of your knowledge and 'training,' you were doing everything right.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
The unfortunate shittiness of the situation aside, surely a dog daycare has some kind of procedure prepared for when a dog dies? One that doesn't come down to "Whaaaat? How did that happen? I'm just as confused as you are sir!"

At the very least you should have some kind of documentation outlining responsibilities and liability. You know, one that you make available to customers so you don't get sued for everything.
Yeah it's great your bosses aren't throwing you under the bus and all but trying to sweep it under the rug as a tragic sudden death is dodgy as fuck and not the sort of people I'd want to be looking after my pets.

My dog had diabetes a few years ago and the insulin injections were a big struggle. He'd developed cataracts as a result of the diabetes and was really on edge as a result but more than that having to give them at the same times each day was a massive pain. But every time I'd double check how much I was giving him. I don't understand why you wouldn't do the same or ask someone if you weren't sure.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

25 is visibly a much greater amount that 2.5. I'm sorry for the dog, hypoglycemia is a horrible fucking way to die.

Why do some of you care about preserving this dude's feelings? He's not the one dying. It's not his dog that's dying. Does the owner even know her dog is dying alone, confused, and in pain?
Page 1 of 5