when you bend it a whole tone up ? I am trying to and I know I could but the string is so thin and tight (in standard tuning though).
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

If you can't bend the high e string up a whole tone without it snapping, your strings must either be like 6 years old, or you're using like 13 gauge strings or something absurd. With 10's I can usually get away with a 2 tone bend if I'm playing higher up, even 11s can get a tone and a half easy.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Quote by Stuck_nomore
when you bend it a whole tone up ? I am trying to and I know I could but the string is so thin and tight (in standard tuning though).

Depends on the gauge. The thinner the string, the higher pitch you can bend it.

That notwithstanding, you should be able to get a full tone out of pretty much anything you slap on. Although, only the real bad-asses can get a full tone out of .013s. (These are the e-1's which come with medium acoustic sets).

FWIW, and so you'll know where you're starting, .010 is the e-1 on "electric regular sets". While most acoustics ship with "acoustic lights". These carry an .012 e-1

As has been stated, if your strings are decrepit, you stand a better chance at breaking them.

Another thing to consider is, if the same string breaks in the same place every time, there could be a mechanical issue with the guitar.

Since you don't sound terribly experienced, I'd suggest having a tech look over the guitar, if the case of the latter.

CODA: Again FYI, the G-3 octave string shipped with 12 string guitar "lights". is only .008, (from most makers). These are allegedly supposed to be tuned to G4. (3rd fret e-1 string). At that pitch, their life expectancy is quite short. I tune down, and use .009's. But at full G4 pitch, you're lucky if you get a week out of the .008's.

You can refer to this Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation if you have any questions about the terms I'm using with regadr to "C4, E4, and such.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 16, 2016,
Quote by Stuck_nomore

In my experience, if a string breaks it's almost always that one.

Having said that, your odds of breaking one just from bending are pretty slim. One thing to be careful of is that you're not tuning too high (higher than standard).

I've done that without realizing it (guessing a "close enough" pitch) and snapped the high E string pretty easily.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
I have had problems with some string brands (10-42 gauge) where the high e snaps a lot. I use EB reg slinky at the moment and don't have that problem with them. Nowadays you also have a choice to get strings that are guaranteed not to break, though I've never tried them.