Hi Guys,

I have been practicing on and off for about a year now, my news years resolution was to be more committed and to practice daily.

My daily routine I have started playing scales, which I can do however the wrist on my fretting hand (left hand) really aches after probably 2 minutes of playing I never get it as bad playing chords or just picking.

I think I know the issue as I have relatively small wrists (for a bloke) i`m having to role my wrist forwards so my fingers can reach the top strings, I find when I get to the lower strings its much easier on my wrist. Is this a case of just muscle training or something else. I think my technique is OK i`m not particularly gripping the neck hard (although I am guilty of pressing the strings quite hard)
Quote by bugs789
Hi Guys,

I have been practicing on and off for about a year now, my news years resolution was to be more committed and to practice daily.

My daily routine I have started playing scales, which I can do however the wrist on my fretting hand (left hand) really aches after probably 2 minutes of playing I never get it as bad playing chords or just picking.

I think I know the issue as I have relatively small wrists (for a bloke) i`m having to role my wrist forwards so my fingers can reach the top strings, I find when I get to the lower strings its much easier on my wrist. Is this a case of just muscle training or something else. I think my technique is OK i`m not particularly gripping the neck hard (although I am guilty of pressing the strings quite hard)

I had the same issue. I was pressing harder than realize and did not figure it out till I really focused on that hand with the intention of figuring out the problem. The other issue would be the position. Focus on your technique and see if you can figure it out. The other option is find a good teacher and have them view your style and go from there.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Hi all,

uploaded a vid I think my technique has improved a little since I took this (on Tuesday) but still would appreciate feed back.

I am finding the top string most difficult, I always try and fret the strings with my finger tips so im not hitting other strings but on alot of other video iv noticed people dont fret with ends of their fingers but more with the pads of their finger tips.

apologies for the poor quality I was using my ancient phone

https://youtu.be/5lJgYmseObo
Last edited by bugs789 at Mar 18, 2016,
Looks like your elbow is kinda locked against your ribs. I tend to pull my elbow away from me as my hand moves down the neck to prevent a massive wrist bend.
Flying in a blue dream
Yes I tend to have my thumb flat against the neck, looking at it I think i`m trying to fret the top string with the tips of my fingers and this seems to be a bit of a stretch for me. I could role them slightly flatter to make the reach easier.

Now you have pointed out my elbow i`ll try having it a little looser, I think that comes from I sit on the sofa most of the time while practicing and feel natural to just have my arms close to my body.
Yep, I was playing in my lazy-boy and it was a terrible idea, had me all crunched up, back and neck hurt all the time. I just use a metal folding chair with a cushion so I can spread out a little. The lazy boy or couch, I think causes bad posture when playing, something I didn't give much thought to at first, but being more comfortable allows me to play on and on without any discomfort. There are so many other things about learning to concern myself with, if I'm comfortable and stable I can really lock in.
Flying in a blue dream