Hello everyone. I'm trying to learn Pantera - Domination. I bought premium at this website and been playing this song for about two weeks right now.

I can play most of the parts but that intro part is too much for me. I attached a screenshot of that part where 3 open strings should be played.

I kind of mess up, don't get the rhythm anymore. I know that when I can't play it at full speed, I slow it down, for about 80percent, at that speed I can play pretty well, but when I move on the original speed again, the same problem occurs. I heard about chunking technique, but not sure how to apply it properly.

Maybe someone can suggest something? I know that practising is the most important thing, but it really demotivates when you feel hopeless. I thought that maybe some more experienced guitar players can give some useful advices.
Attachments:
Untitled.png
Don't go from super slow to original speed.

Up the speed by 5%-10% increments until you can play it at the original speed.
When I play fast I'm not accurate, I kind a lost the rhythm, even tough at 80percent this part is OK. It seems like there is a barrier at one speed where I cant make it.
Quote by DanyFS
Up the speed by 5%-10% increments until you can play it at the original speed.

+1

Increase it even slower if you need to.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by dudeperfect13
When I play fast I'm not accurate, I kind a lost the rhythm, even tough at 80percent this part is OK. It seems like there is a barrier at one speed where I cant make it.

Yeah, that's a sign you're going too fast. Slow down, sometimes playing slower than needed for a bit can help too.

Don't rush it and you'll be fine
Do it at the slower speed and repeat, repeat, repeat, until it becomes muscle memory. The fret movements don't look that demanding at all, but your picking hand and technique needs to be accurate. You'll know when you get to the muscle memory stage because both hands will be relaxed and all the tension will be gone from both arms.
Quote by dudeperfect13
Hello everyone. I'm trying to learn Pantera - Domination. I bought premium at this website and been playing this song for about two weeks right now.

I can play most of the parts but that intro part is too much for me. I attached a screenshot of that part where 3 open strings should be played.

I kind of mess up, don't get the rhythm anymore. I know that when I can't play it at full speed, I slow it down, for about 80percent, at that speed I can play pretty well, but when I move on the original speed again, the same problem occurs. I heard about chunking technique, but not sure how to apply it properly.

Maybe someone can suggest something? I know that practising is the most important thing, but it really demotivates when you feel hopeless. I thought that maybe some more experienced guitar players can give some useful advices.

This looks deceptively simple. Are you missing chords when you speed up or just messing up the timing?
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
Quote by robertwilliam9
This looks deceptively simple. Are you missing chords when you speed up or just messing up the timing?

That part where I showed you.

I don't know if you know this song, but that part is played really fast (in my standards), so when I need to hit three open strings and then three other ones, I kind a mess up. Sometimes It feels like my pick stucks on a string, sometimes I can't count to three(to see if I hit that string correct amount of times). That is how I can describe my problem. For example on the other partI attached the picture of it). I need to hit 4 open strings and then second fret 5th string. And I can make this easily even on the original speed. I don't know where is the actual problem, maybe that three open strings is odd number

I listened to your advices, started at 50percent of original speed yesterday and went up by +5 when I felt comfortable, now I am at 70 and can't make that part. At 65 everything were OK.
Attachments:
Untitled.png
Last edited by dudeperfect13 at Mar 17, 2016,
Quote by dudeperfect13

I listened to your advices, started at 50percent of original speed yesterday and went up by +5 when I felt comfortable, now I am at 70 and can't make that part. At 65 everything were OK.

Keep up at it, use 1-2% increments if needed.

I also struggle to get out of a certain percentage in some songs, but when muscle memory starts kicking in after some days, I finally can go up again. And sometimes your brain just needs to settle down what it learnt, sometimes in one day I can't play a certain part of the song, but the next day I grab the guitar and nail it at the first try.

What do you mean hitting 4 open strings?

Edit: Just saw it. I guess the tab is a bit wrong. I bet that the 0-0-0-0 is palm muted, and then you play the E power chord non palm muted. I would play it this way: Keep my index finger on the 2nd fret of the 5th string without hitting the 5th string with the pick obviously, palm mute the 0-0-0-0 part, lift up my hand so I don't palm mute and strum the E power chord.
Last edited by DanyFS at Mar 17, 2016,
Quote by DanyFS
Keep up at it, use 1-2% increments if needed.

I also struggle to get out of a certain percentage in some songs, but when muscle memory starts kicking in after some days, I finally can go up again. And sometimes your brain just needs to settle down what it learnt, sometimes in one day I can't play a certain part of the song, but the next day I grab the guitar and nail it at the first try.

What do you mean hitting 4 open strings?

Edit: Just saw it. I guess the tab is a bit wrong. I bet that the 0-0-0-0 is palm muted, and then you play the E power chord non palm muted. I would play it this way: Keep my index finger on the 2nd fret of the 5th string without hitting the 5th string with the pick obviously, palm mute the 0-0-0-0 part, lift up my hand so I don't palm mute and strum the E power chord.

About that part, I know that. I just mentioned it, because where 4 strings, everything is fine, when 3 I struggle. How can that be?
Quote by dudeperfect13
About that part, I know that. I just mentioned it, because where 4 strings, everything is fine, when 3 I struggle. How can that be?

Are you downpicking everything? Or are you using alternate picking too?

However, your problem sounds a bit odd. Just don't rush it and you'll eventually nail it. There's nothing else you can do except practicing
I think I finally overcome this barrier. I think what helped me is that when I need to hit three open, I hit first with more power, the everything flows well, of course practicing also played a huge role.