I have a basic line 6 spider amp. When I plug it in, it turns on fine and all the lights light up. However, it makes no sound. My chords all work with other equipment and I tried multiple guitars. It recently sat unused for about a year, not sure if that is a factor. Anyone have any ideas of something I can try before paying someone? Thank you
Quote by dslghasljk
I have a basic line 6 spider amp. When I plug it in, it turns on fine and all the lights light up. However, it makes no sound. My chords all work with other equipment and I tried multiple guitars. It recently sat unused for about a year, not sure if that is a factor. Anyone have any ideas of something I can try before paying someone? Thank you

What amp, specifically, do you have?

Do you know how to do a factory reset?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Line 6 Spider 2. I looked up factory reset and tried but it still doesn't work. It does now make a little bit random static noise. Maybe speaker connection?
Quote by dslghasljk
Line 6 Spider 2. I looked up factory reset and tried but it still doesn't work. It does now make a little bit random static noise. Maybe speaker connection?

Possible but unlikely. Easy to check though.

TBH, when you wrote that it made no sound my first instinct was to post "Thank your lucky stars!". Few people think highly of those amps.

There's not a lot of non-technical-user serviceable items in that amp though, so if it's not connections and a factory reset won't cure it, it's probably time for the junkpile.

The good news is that it won't take a lot of money to get a much better amp!
Charles Darwin
ah crap. Its just a home practice amp but I still hate to replace it. would a new speaker be reasonable option?
Quote by dslghasljk
ah crap. Its just a home practice amp but I still hate to replace it. would a new speaker be reasonable option?

Again, while that's possible, it's extremely unlikely (bordering on impossible), since you are hearing some sounds through it.

It's also likely that any replacement speaker you might get would cost more than the amp is worth.
Charles Darwin
Try tweaking all the knobs from end to end
Pushing the input lead in and out many times
Push a headphone plug in and out many times
With the volume on low, connect another speaker across the terminals of the one in it (could still be a speaker issue if the connections to the coil are no good or the coil is trapped in a rusted gap)

On this amp, you have a line in/CD in or something like that, in the one I posted it is next to the headphone output, in others it is next to the guitar input. I think depending on the model they are either a 1/8 stereo input or 2 RCA input. You can stick an mp3 player/phone/CD player/guitar in there to test the speaker.

I don't think speaker failure is likely, it is more probably ther eis something with the circuit. The good news is that you can use the line in/CD in I described and bypass the whole shoddy Line6 preamp circuit and just plug in a distortion pedal in that if you don't want to throw it away. Most likely repair will be more expensive on this amp, so I won't suggest it.