Hey, I recently got a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 watt head (https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/jcm2000-dsl-series/jcm2000-dsl50/). Tomorrow i'm picking up a Marshall 1960B 300W straight 4x12 cab (https://marshallamps.com/products/cabinets/1960b/).

This is actually my first cab set up and I just have a few questions. So the head is 50 watts and the cab is 300w, is this okay? I read that it's best to either match the wattage between the two, or get a cab that is higher than the wattage of the head?

I also assume that I set the head at 16 ohms and plug it into the 16ohm input of the cab - with a speaker cable not a guitar jack.

As I said this is my first cab set up and any information would be greatly appreciated!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Match the ohms and you are good to go. As long as the speaker max power rating is greater than the amps power output you won't blow things up.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Match the ohms and you are good to go. As long as the speaker max power rating is greater than the amps power output you won't blow things up.

Thanks man!
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
one quick thing, speaker cables are needed between the head and cab. DO NOT USE instrument cables to run from between the amp and cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by korinaflyingv
Yeah you're good to go. Congrats. I've not played a DSL50 but they've always sounded really nice to me when I've seen bands using them.

Yeah it's some unbelievable cleans and the OD/Ultra Gain has a really 'tight' yet full bodied sound, highly recommended on my end. I'm actually coming from a Vox AC15 and this is much much nicer. Funnily enough my last Marshall was an MG15, A/B'ing is hilarious.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Yeah it's some unbelievable cleans and the OD/Ultra Gain has a really 'tight' yet full bodied sound, highly recommended on my end. I'm actually coming from a Vox AC15 and this is much much nicer. Funnily enough my last Marshall was an MG15, A/B'ing is hilarious.

Even the cleans are much nicer than AC15??
Quote by korinaflyingv
Even the cleans are much nicer than AC15??

I was in the studio this weekend and did an AC30 vs this comparison and to be honest my Marshall destroys it - but that is only my opinion after all. I never 'got along' with the AC range of Vox, I kind of found them frustrating and very limited - but that's just my play style and tone wants I imagine. I know some people find their home in the AC range but it's just not for me.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
So the head is 50 watts and the cab is 300w, is this okay?

Yes.
nice rig, congrats!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nice amp, I have the 100 watter and I have used it for the last few years. it really likes SED EL34's, but they are stupid expensive these days and JJ E34L's (not EL34 I really meant E34L)seem to be one of the better new production EL34's for it.

Believe it or not, I have never played mine through a 1960 cab. I do really like the old Marshal MF280 though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate