Just bought a us Boss BR-8.

I've also got a Tascam DP-02CF which has a broken display (part is on order.

The Boss is more of a temporary unit until I can get my Tascam fixed.
For now, I'm plugging my acoustic (Sigma SF18 CE) straight into it.
he problem I am having s getting the sound I want.U can't really thing of any examples (maybe parts Hearts - Crazy on you, or Zeps Friends maybe).
But the Boss'es EQ setting seem VERY VERY limited.
I've tried different pick thicknesses (.40 - .88).
Am I missing an EQ setting somewhere, or is it my technique?

And tips or is there somewhere on the web that may have some setting suggestions for the Boss I could try out.

Thanks
the COSM effects have some acoustic settings, play with that. My Micro Br has different amp and speaker configurations you can try, there is probably an acoustic patch on there already. Another thing to try at least on mine, I can assign any processor I want on a track, for example it changes from GT (guitar), to MC (mastering - 4 band eq in submenu found there), EX, LN banks of fx which I honestly don't get much use of, I read about them in the manual but don't know what they do, but you can assign in the MC setting 4 band eq. Mine even has an acoustic guitar patch on it.

You could try the acoustic simulator and see if that improves your tone, or one of the clean amps, like Roland JC120. This review also mentions mic simulators which might do the trick if you can find a way to apply it to the input (I think only vocal gets it?):
http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/boss-br-8/31757

So maybe try to treat the acoustic as the vocal as acoustic guitar is closer in processing to a vocal track than el. guitar.
Quote by diabolical
the COSM effects have some acoustic settings, play with that. My Micro Br has different amp and speaker configurations you can try, there is probably an acoustic patch on there already. Another thing to try at least on mine, I can assign any processor I want on a track, for example it changes from GT (guitar), to MC (mastering - 4 band eq in submenu found there), EX, LN banks of fx which I honestly don't get much use of, I read about them in the manual but don't know what they do, but you can assign in the MC setting 4 band eq. Mine even has an acoustic guitar patch on it.

You could try the acoustic simulator and see if that improves your tone, or one of the clean amps, like Roland JC120. This review also mentions mic simulators which might do the trick if you can find a way to apply it to the input (I think only vocal gets it?):
http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/boss-br-8/31757

So maybe try to treat the acoustic as the vocal as acoustic guitar is closer in processing to a vocal track than el. guitar.

Thanks.
I will look more ito COSM anf the acoustic simulator.
I guess being spoiled all these years with my AC30, I was hoping to get a similar
'chime
And it kind of pisses me off that the Bosss doesn;t have an XLR connectiom for s mic.
Although I do have a few XLR to 1/4 cables around here SOMEWHERE. so I could at least plug thea mic into the Boss.
I know I could get a better sond if those Boss didn;t have such shit for EQ adjustment. the Tascam gives you the abiloty to alter ANY EQ range
Plus its got an XLR input

i WANT MY TASCAM BCK.
They do have the part i need in stock (the LCD display).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 16, 2016,
I know what you mean, I've learned maybe 15% of the operating capacity of my Micro Be. I also have a Dr. Rhythm 880 drum machine that is very capable and know about 50% of it, while my old drum machine I knew back and forth (Alexis sr16).
I've been fucking around with the effects and that Scene feature.
I can't seem to get that scene feature to work right.
I take it its like having a bunch of effects presets that you can easily call up.
Had no luck with it so far.

And the Insert effects things isn't going a whole lot better either.
Byt then again, I have only browsed through what appeared to be relevant info.
Guess I should just read the whole fuckign thing cover to cover.

So far its been a bug PITA getting the effects to properly save (I know i'm probably doing something wrong) and that scene thing.

I'm done with it for the night thouhg, been at it for like 8 hours,,,and my back hurts.
Looks like a mod merged my to threads.
Thanks to whoever.
I should have done that myself.
Old age and all that I guess

So I picked up a Boss BR-8 (yeah already made a thread for it but for different reasons.

So anyone with experience that could help, It would be appreciated.

This concerns the "Insert Effect, Scene, and Banks options.

The manual doesn't seem to give enough details on that or I'm just brain dead from family stress.

Anyway, from the sound of it, the Scene option lets you save several presets for various effects in them that you can assign to a song and swap back and forth easily by switching scenes.

Basically what I am trying to do is make the Scene feature and the Insert effect work together.=, but not sure how.

LIke lets say just the JC120 0settingas a theoretical example.
I go into it effect section, disable all the effects, save and write, then asig it to scene #1
Then I enable all the effects and save and write to scene #2
I "Call" scene #1, then check the settings and the are as I set them,
I go back and hen call scene #2 and check the settings and they are fine.
Then I go back to th main screen and play.
Then I check both scene #1 and #2 settings and they are back to default.

Anyone have a step by step instruction for making this work.
Or something, I've checked you tube and came up with what was mostly like it was a sales pitch.

I've worked in electronics as a tech for like 15 years
When I'm on a long trip, I read something like Don Lancasters CMOS Cookbook
(Well, except for the one plane flight when I read Stephen Kings, The Langoliers)

But i doesn't seem to work.

Anyine have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I know its an old model.
I ave a Tascam Portastudio that is awesome, I'me just waiting for a part to fix it (the damd LCD display broke) and Iam using this Boss one in the meantime.

Thanks

Quote by diabolical
8 hours of tweaking...sounds like Boss time

don't know what to say, maybe should've read the manual, or looked up some Youtube videos instead?

Oh, and I did read the entire manual, just the stuff that pertained to the issues I mentioned above
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 17, 2016,
Double post here.
Ok, what I did and was succeful, sort of.
I diabled all the effects on the JC120,, saved, then created a scene, #1.
Then I enabled all the effect on the JC120, saved, created scene #2

Then I did a short recording with scene #2. All kinds of noise. Which I expected.

The I check back at the setting for scenes #1, and #2 and they were just as I had set them

Then I played it back, got the sound from the scene #2 setting.
Then I changed the scene to #1. Still sounded like scene #2, not scene which should have been clean since all effects were disabled.

Ok...so what am i doing wrong?

When I'm playing and not recording, switching scenes does what I expected it to do.
Scene #2 is noisy, and scence #1 is clean.
But whichever scene I record with, thats the one thats stuck on there.

Isn't that he point of the Scene feature, like having a bunch of presets on pedal, clean signal in, modified signal out?
Well, I did figure it out. more or less
and believe me, I've read a bit more of the manual.
The Scenes (or presets)................
They have a "feature' called Insert Effecct Connection"
I had to change the default setting to get it to work.
So I set Scene #1 as clean, and Scene #2 with all the effects on.

I can start playing with the Scene #1 setting active.
Bur to change to the #2 scene, I have to stop playing, press a few button, and then I can continue playing.

Thats hardly what I wold call
'Instantly" as stated in the Boss manual.

Basically, you hae to stop playback to change to a different effect
A little bit.
still need to shake some of that rust off my fingers

I wasn't so much as concerned with the sound itself, just getting that particular featire to work. And I did. It just doesn't do it very well.
LIke If I wanted to change from say a Phaser to a Chorus, I would eirher have to record te Phaser on one track and the chorus on another and play with the sliders or set up that "Scene" bullshit, and stop playback to switch effects.

Its got some cool sounds though.
My Tascam (that I am waiting on a part for) has an effects loop.
I may just end up hooked this BR-8 up to it and use it as a multi efects unti...or not

That "Scene" feature is a total pile of shit.

I haven't tried all the other patches yet to search for a better sound, but I wil likely being doing that later tonight or tomorrow.
That sounds like my Micro Br, changing effects one at a time is a nightmare, I did 4 patches in all, or as you'd call scenes in your Boss lingo (mine are called "presets"), so in my case I did one clean with mild chorus and just a touch of medium room reverb as I find reverb to give processors much needed sense of live space. I also have one crunch, Marshall Plexi sim with just a touch of verb, then a high gain one, pretty much same Marshall just more gain, and then again same Marshall but with 350 ms of delay for lead. I switch pretty much through all these and not much else. Oh, the Matchless amp is also pretty cool, I like that sim. I live the effects very much and use it for jamming instead of bringing a rig I just take the walkman sized thing and my buddy has some high end Bose PA speakers that I hook up to and it sounds fantastic.

People say "Boss COSM is old", but I get some great sounds out of it, so who cares?
Here's a little sample:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12958065
Quote by diabolical
That sounds like my Micro Br, changing effects one at a time is a nightmare, I did 4 patches in all, or as you'd call scenes in your Boss lingo (mine are called "presets"), so in my case I did one clean with mild chorus and just a touch of medium room reverb as I find reverb to give processors much needed sense of live space. I also have one crunch, Marshall Plexi sim with just a touch of verb, then a high gain one, pretty much same Marshall just more gain, and then again same Marshall but with 350 ms of delay for lead. I switch pretty much through all these and not much else. Oh, the Matchless amp is also pretty cool, I like that sim. I live the effects very much and use it for jamming instead of bringing a rig I just take the walkman sized thing and my buddy has some high end Bose PA speakers that I hook up to and it sounds fantastic.

People say "Boss COSM is old", but I get some great sounds out of it, so who cares?
Here's a little sample:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12958065

The BR-8 has Patches and it has "Scenes".
Think of the patches as like amp, cab, and effects sims ) Patches are a little different than that but thats kinda how they are) and the scenes as simply effects presets that youc an apply tot he patches.

IT also doesn't really record it in a format that you can just directly transfer via USB or something.
But it does have a Digital output (need some special cord for that I guess) and RCA line out connectors.
So I took a couple of RCA connectors, soldered a headphone jack to them, plug that into my computer and let Audacity capture the sound from the line out connection.

This is the first recordingI made via the Audacity method, a little rough and mu fimers are still rusty:
https://soundcloud.com/codemonk8/pati-beta-003
Quote by diabolical
Looks like the BR-8 has lightpipe digital out, you need an interface that has that, not sure if anyone has it but Boss made one: Edirol/Cakewalk UA-4FX which is still supported. Some desktop PCs came with these as well.

Lightpipe?
That anything like Firewire?

The RCA line out works fine for now.
I can clean stuff up if need be in Audacity.

But once I get my Tascam working again, I probably won't be using the BR-8 to much, except maybe as a multi effects unit if I can figure out how to hook it up for that (haven't really looked into it, but it does have RCA LIne In and RCA LIne Out.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 18, 2016,
No, lightpipe is another digital audio format, it was more popular in the late 90s early 2000s, came on most home audio CD, minidisc players, amplifier/tuners.

I think it was ADAT-lightpipe, developed by Alesis. I still use it sometimes as I have archived minidisc data from when I worked doing soundbit effects for a radio station long long time ago.

This is what it looks like:

Look at the two square items on the left of the RCA jacks (5th and 6th from left to right)
Some older desktop computers still have it on their audio cards.
And now my FUCKING microphone input jack isn't registering.
I get that annoying message that I plugged it in, but from the property dialog it says nothing is plugged in.
IT WAS FUCKING FINE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD I'M FUCKING PISSED.