Hi all! I wanted to ask what capos you all use and what you think of them?

For full transparency, I work for G7th capos with my Dad who invented the G7th capos. We're a tiny company (only 4 full-time employees) and we're always looking at designing new capos, but we felt it was really important for us to talk to you about it as you're the ones who will use them!!

I’ve met people with all kinds of views on capos; from “I love my capo and never leave home without it!” to “I NEVER use a capo”, and from “I’ll use any old capo” to “I can only use this capo or it ruins my intonation/tone”. I’m sure you all fit into that spectrum somewhere! I’d just like to know about your experiences with capos in general - and please don’t hold back! With so many capos available it’s important that anything “new” we create is something that will be genuinely useful

Thanks in advance everyone!!
I'll use one when I have to but I don't like them at all. If I can transpose the key without one, I will every time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I actually have a G7th capo. One of the first ones. Thought the idea was cool so I picked it up. I use it a lot, but for some reason I was looking at a kyser the other day. I'm not sure why, as far as I'm concerned the G7 is a great little capo. It has the ability to adjust the tension on the strings unlike a standard spring capo which will only have one tension that is unadjustable. Good luck!
I like the capo. I can play music by ear but I haven't figured out to transcribe yet. They are very useful. I've had snobs that ran music stores actually attempt to talk me out of purchasing a capo with the fact that "they" don't need one because they are ultra nifty jedi-esque musicians that can figure it out sans capo.

keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing your company thrive
Quote by leytp
snobs suck.

Edited for brevity.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I use Paige capos after trying a few different ones. I'll always avoid a springy trigger-type capo, they're usually either too tight or too loose. I've also used a Shubb c1 which I quite like. Adjustable tension is the way to go. Never used a G7th, they cost a bit more than I wanted to spend on a capo but I've heard good things about them.
I only ever use a capo on an acoustic. On electric, I find that any bending near the capo makes it go out of tune.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
I don't use them myself. The Church i work with uses them on acoustics. They use Keyser and get along with them. I would be open to finding something better for them if I feel that it is good enough to justify the swap. The main music leader is very much a "if it ain't broken don't fix it" kind of guy. However if i felt strongly enough about something he would give it a shot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by RustedWithin
I've had snobs that ran music stores actually attempt to talk me out of purchasing a capo with the fact that "they" don't need one because they are ultra nifty jedi-esque musicians that can figure it out sans capo.

Ignorant snobs who clearly don't really understand what a capo can be used for, or why one is needed to cover many songs that were originally played with a capo.

If you look at professional (i.e. people that make a living out of playing music) musicians and 1. many of them use a capo and 2. none of them have jobs in a music store.

Next time someone tells you they can play anything without a capo ask them to play this
https://youtu.be/UB7R_Dc-LL8

(PS I have a G7 and its the best one I have used )
Last edited by PSimonR at Mar 16, 2016,
I mostly use a Kyser KG6B.

. . . but I do have a question. Any reviews or opinions on how G7ths perform on 12-string acoustics? I'm considering getting a Performance 2 but I'd like to hear some thoughts on it (for both 6 and 12-string acoustics).
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
It's a tool that is used to produce a musical effect. It was invaluable for me as a beginner. (How the heck are you going to tell someone who barely started learning to play F#m, Bm7, or any barre chord through an entire set?) Even as I passed the need for it, I still like to use them on some songs because frankly a capo'd chord will sound differently than a barred one. Depends on the tonal effect I am looking for.

Ran into plenty of capo snobs. Many didn't even play guitar....how funny.

Honestly, if it wasn't for a capo I wouldn't have survived my first 6 months playing acoustic with a church band. It took my hands a long time to handle barre chords without cramping up.

It's a tool. Use it if you wish to take you where you want to go. But, not using one will not make you a 'superior musician' by default.
I've used lots of different kinds of capos over the years - Kyser springs, Dunlop straps, Shubbs, G7, whatever, and my favourites are the screw type such as the Dunlop Victor and Planet Waves NS. They are small and light, and I think that they are easier to use wrt dragging the string out of tune than most types. The G7 is pretty good in this respect, but I know of at least one that failed mechanically.

A complaint I have about most of them is that the don't come in high viz colours, so easily get mislaid.
I agree that they are a tool, sometimes unnecessary, sometimes invaluable.

I don't get the snobbery thing. If you need one, use one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The reason that I don't like them has nothing to do with snobbery. I don't like having to shift between one key for chords another for the scales. It does my head in. Like I said, I'll use one when I have to but I don't like them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use the g7 capos. couldn't be happier with them. I only use capos when I really wanna stick to full chords and avoid barre chords because I would prefer an open or variation of a chord. Like a barre G chord sounds very similar to playing it open, but I prefer the way the open sounds and the way i can change it around to play around it. And I use capos when I need to cover certain keys or when I used to play for a worship band. just show up and go.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2aW03pwL0

Wait, capos?

They're pretty much vital for certain things (assuming you prefer sounding decent over demonstrating your dexterity with movable shapes); I hardly use mind because it's cheap and doesn't work all that well, and is not really necessary for what I play.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by bass.desires
It's a tool that is used to produce a musical effect. It was invaluable for me as a beginner. (How the heck are you going to tell someone who barely started learning to play F#m, Bm7, or any barre chord through an entire set?) Even as I passed the need for it, I still like to use them on some songs because frankly a capo'd chord will sound differently than a barred one. Depends on the tonal effect I am looking for.

Ran into plenty of capo snobs. Many didn't even play guitar....how funny.

Honestly, if it wasn't for a capo I wouldn't have survived my first 6 months playing acoustic with a church band. It took my hands a long time to handle barre chords without cramping up.

It's a tool. Use it if you wish to take you where you want to go. But, not using one will not make you a 'superior musician' by default.

Y'know, in all my years I've never once heard someone disparage the use of capos. Pure chance, of course.

Some of the best guitarists in the world use them. Paul Simon, Gordon Lightfoot, Bob Dylan, Bruce Cockburn; you never see those guys without one, either in use or clipped to a headstock.

And consider female singer/songwriters. Artists like Shawn Colvin or Sarah McLachlan use one on pretty much every song they play. One's voice often dictates whether or not to use a capo. Some simply have to.

Playing well and singing well at the same time can be difficult enough. I can't imagine being stuck without a capo trying to sing certain songs while fashioning finger-contorting up-the-neck chords for an entire song. If there was no such thing as capos, we'd have to invent them. Them, or really short guitars.
Quote by Standard_A440

. . . but I do have a question. Any reviews or opinions on how G7ths perform on 12-string acoustics? I'm considering getting a Performance 2 but I'd like to hear some thoughts on it (for both 6 and 12-string acoustics).

We tend to recommend our 12-string Newport capo for 12-string guitars over the Performance 2. We have found that it can be difficult to press down hard enough to fret all of the strings using a Performance or Performance 2, whereas the Newport model has a knob to adjust the tension AND you can adjust it when it's on the neck. You just put it on and tweak it until you've got it just right, then use the flip-lever release so you have the same tension for the next time you use it.

It works fine on a 6-string too, the barre length is just a bit longer than the standard Newport.
Quote by Tony Done
A complaint I have about most of them is that the don't come in high viz colours, so easily get mislaid.

It's funny, I think that as well which is why I always use one of the white ones we made!! A lot of people want them to either be virtually invisible, high viz colours, or look like the wood of the guitar. It's tricky to do all 3...!!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I agree that they are a tool, sometimes unnecessary, sometimes invaluable.

I don't get the snobbery thing. If you need one, use one.

^^ This!
It's just like a pedal on your board that serves a purpose. When I studied jazz guitar it was a "no capo zone" because we were specifically learning to transpose and modulate on the fly.

Using a capo to allow open strings to ring is a sonic effect. Use em if it serves your purpose. I don't use one with my rock band but often do on an acoustic gig.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
That's excellent. Thank you for the response.

Quote by MonkeyFunk
We tend to recommend our 12-string Newport capo for 12-string guitars over the Performance 2. We have found that it can be difficult to press down hard enough to fret all of the strings using a Performance or Performance 2, whereas the Newport model has a knob to adjust the tension AND you can adjust it when it's on the neck. You just put it on and tweak it until you've got it just right, then use the flip-lever release so you have the same tension for the next time you use it.

It works fine on a 6-string too, the barre length is just a bit longer than the standard Newport.
Quote by Standard_A440

I use a G7th Nashville capo on my Taylor 12 string and it works fine.
all normal capo is fine for me as long as it can grip my strings very good.
the only problem for me is how to use it , because sometimes i dont know how to use it LOL
Anyway , I use normal capo (DD Brand)
I rock a Morpheus capo. Boom mic drop
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I've never really used one. I have a crappy cheapo one around somewhere(you know the sort, you put it on and it puts your guitar out of tune), which may well have put me off using them.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'