Hi,

Our band play mostly Metalcore/Djent genre and this sunday I'll play into a marshall MG100HCFX venue amp but I know nothing about this amp, does it give a good heavy distortion? or do I need a pedal/modeler to complement/bypass it? (I only need a heavy overdriven crunchy effect).

I don't have pedal board nor modeler but I own a HT - 5R Blackstar amp, it is small but has a great sound. Nonetheless I don't know how well would it sound live in a mediam sized bar.

Any suggestions? Playing directly in the venue amp? Complement the venue amp with an overdrive pedal? take my amp to the event?

Thanks in advance!
It's a shit amp.

It'll work fine for your genre...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
It's a shit amp.

It'll work fine for your genre...

A little rough man, you having a bad day or something?

In all seriousness TS, you are not going to be able to pull much of anything useful out of that amp. Let me ask: will the venue have a PA? It may be best to bring your HT-5 and have it micced up through the PA if you can.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
It may be able to pull off "Djent" tone -- because it is a very thin, abrasive, and cold sounding amp. For metalcore it will sound terrible though. There is literally no thickness or balls to the distortion. It just sounds like a hornet's nest placed in a metal garbage can and shaken.

I had one for a while. Worst amp I've ever owned. I would try to make something work with your Blackstar mic'd up. It will sound better.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Yeah just get him to mic up your current amp, you're more comfortable with it and know its ins and outs. To be honest stay away from any and all Marshall MG's, you /can/ get them to sound decent with the inbuilt distortion but honestly you need some seriously high gain/output pick ups to get something usable for a metal tone.

All the guy has to do is move the mic from the Marshall to yours, it should be no big deal unless he has a fit for moving the mic stand a whole 50cm to the left.

To be honest these days a small combo with a good speaker in it goes a long way, and that's for both venues and smaller gigs. At venues they're going to mic your amp up without question so size pretty much doesn't go into the equation*, and for smaller gigs you can get away with using small amps there so long has they have enough output to fight with the drums and you place it in a position that's off the floor and has no one stood immediately in front of it.

*size does go into the equation, but to be honest most people in venues won't be able to tell the difference between a cab, a combo, or a small speaker 5 watt amp. You will, and any experienced guitarist/musician will, but to be honest we all start somewhere so if any drops hate on the Blackstar just tell them to grow up.

I would start thinking about building a small pedal board though, a cheap tuner, a nice crunchy overdrive and a heavy distortion pedal would suit you nicely as a start.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
While everyone on UG hates the MG series, and yeah they're not very good, You will get a reasonable sound from it. And unless your audience is full of guitar/musician gear snobs, nobody cares what you're playing through. You could always hook your HT-5 into the MG's cab if you can't stand playing through it. Assuming the cab will have a microphone in front of it.
Use your amp, or rent something sensible. Seriously, its like less then $20 to rent a really nice amp for a week. I've owned a MG250 in the days before I developed my ears, and yes, its a horrible amp.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by dementiacaptain
A little rough man, you having a bad day or something?

In all seriousness TS, you are not going to be able to pull much of anything useful out of that amp. Let me ask: will the venue have a PA? It may be best to bring your HT-5 and have it micced up through the PA if you can.

Sorry for this question but, what does PA mean?. I only know it is a cab, head combo.

Quote by Anthony1991
I would start thinking about building a small pedal board though, a cheap tuner, a nice crunchy overdrive and a heavy distortion pedal would suit you nicely as a start.

A lot of people have told me to buy a good modeler instead a pedal board since there is always a possibility of playing in a shitty venue amp, then you'd have no control over your sound.

Quote by gurg06

While everyone on UG hates the MG series, and yeah they're not very good, You will get a reasonable sound from it. And unless your audience is full of guitar/musician gear snobs, nobody cares what you're playing through. You could always hook your HT-5 into the MG's cab if you can't stand playing through it. Assuming the cab will have a microphone in front of it.

And what if the cab has no mic on it? I'll ask for the rider in order to know that. Still hooking my amp through the MG's cab would be the way to go. Right?
PA = Public Address. You know, the thing that the vocals go through.

If it's an actual MG cab, you'd be better off miking the HT5 itself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gurg06
While everyone on UG hates the MG series, and yeah they're not very good, You will get a reasonable sound from it. And unless your audience is full of guitar/musician gear snobs, nobody cares what you're playing through.

Not really true. I've seen plenty of metal bands use MGs and you really just can't hear what they're playing. You're right that people won't care what he plays through - they will blame it on the band being shit instead. TS use the Blackstar, as long as you can mic it up. Even if you can't I'd be tempted to run them in stereo or something so there's at least some nice sound coming from your guitar.
Quote by Revocation89

A lot of people have told me to buy a good modeler instead a pedal board since there is always a possibility of playing in a shitty venue amp, then you'd have no control over your sound.

And what if the cab has no mic on it? I'll ask for the rider in order to know that. Still hooking my amp through the MG's cab would be the way to go. Right?

If you think that some sound guy will mess your amp tone up when miked, most sound guys have no idea how to deal with a modelling amp/pedal, and always screw those up. Besides, the tone of a modelling amp/pedal are really dependent on what the system you use to create the models sounds like. What sounds good on your system could very well sound like pure shit when going through another system. It takes a special kind of stupid to mess up an amp sound.

I would recommend hooking your HT5 up to the MG cab and adjusting from there. Use what you're comfortable with.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by Revocation89
Sorry for this question but, what does PA mean?. I only know it is a cab, head combo.

PA are public address systems, basically it's just the big room speakers that the sound guy will channel your sound through. At gigs you'll typically see them hoisted at the top corners of the stage and angled kind of downwards, that's the PA system.

Modelers are only good if you go super crazy expensive, but for more than a 1/4 of that price you can get a really nice second hand Marshall head+cab that isn't MG, or even a Blackstar stack if you wanted. If you don't want to play through a shitty venue amp... don't? I've honestly never done a gig where there has been a venue guitar amp, bass sure, but not for guitar.

I recently picked up a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50w head for 350 and a 1960B Marshall 4x12 cab for 275 (UK pounds), brand new you'd pay double that. And honestly they're amazing (and in mind condition). Sure that might be a bit steep, so just stick with your Blackstar for now. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay better to keep using a small amp and then jump several leagues and getting a stack like I did, you save a lot of money doing that.

A legitimate pedal board is the way to go. Even expensive amps might not have the overdrive/distortion tone you're looking for, typically pedals are designed to give you want you want because it couldn't be in the amp. As long as you have a great sounding clean channel, pedals can give you whatever else you're looking for - nothing is as important as an outstanding clean channel on an amp. It's also worth noting that amp overdrive/distortion will not sound anywhere near as good as pedals unless you have a really nice (and ultimately, expensive) amp.

Pedals also give you a lot of tonal variety that an amp just won't, pedals also allow you do change tones mid song. Get a small pedal train board, get a cheap tuner on it, a nice overdrive and a distortion you like, and you'll suddenly find that you're tone is a lot rounder, fuller, and basically just better.

Personally I'd ditch the Marshall MG cab all together and just use the Blackstar, the speakers in those MG cabs are just plain bad. It's a cheap cab for a reason
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.