Hello everyone,

I've been saving up some money to buy me a new killer amp
Mostly i play death metal / melodic death metal.

after reading and searching i've come across peavey, i've heard the 6505 amp head in action with a mesa boogie 4x12 cabinet and it sounds absolutley brutal.
gets the oldschool sound i'm looking for.

but...
i think its way too loud to use just in my bedroom so i've been considering a few options:
-Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo 60w
-Peavey 6505+ MH (micro head) 20w
-Peavey 6505 amp head 120w But with a sound limiter (forgot the name of those things)

i've been searching youtube a lot to hear the diffrent sounds of these amps but i dont really know for sure if the sound i hear is the sound i will get becouse a lot of people use post processing etc.

so my question here;
is the micro head any good? can it get the really brutal bassy and mid scooped sound of the normal 6505?
As far as the combo goes i'm just not very impressed with the sound quality, but people have said that replacing the speaker with a celestion vintage 30 will do the trick.
or should i just go for the normal 6505 with a sound limiter?

Can somebody give me some more info on these matters? share experience?

Thanks guys!
Last edited by martin.ouwehand at Mar 16, 2016,
All of them can get ear-bleed loud, and also can sound great at low volumes (especially when boosted by a TS type pedal.) If you've got the cash, just get the full 120 watt version.

I would steer away from the mini-head, as it looks like a recall is about to take place with them. (Their onboard power-tube monitoring apparently is set to shut the amp down a little too easily -- and a lot of players are finding that the amp will shut down if it gets even slightly hot. The amp is fine, but it's an annoying problem).

I ended up buying a 112 combo about 5 years ago and have modded it into a head and did a bunch of other mods as well. After everything I've done to it, it slays. ***And I play it through a 412 cab with super-loud speakers. Works fine at low volumes -- sounds terrifying (in a good way) at high volumes.

Smaller amp =/= better tone at low volumes. That's a myth that needs to die in a fire.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I have a 6505+ 120w head running through a 4X12 cab with Eminence speakers it is brutally powerful! I was looking into an attenuator for bedroom levels but have since purchase a Mesa Roadster 2X12 combo it has switching for 100/50watts and sounds great even at low levels to be fair the Peavey sounds good at low volumes as well!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I don't associate 5150s (6505s etc) with scooped mids.

I would go for the 6505 combo and a V30.

You could be set for $500 with the combo, an OD, and a speaker. Not bad.

A Peavey 5150 2x12 combo may be a good compromise, but they are a little harder to find.

You could get the head and a 2x12 for another option.

I run my block letter 5150 head through mesa, orange, or another half dozen cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Okay thanks people i think i'll buy the 120w version, but which speaker cabinet will go with this amp?
Besides the mesa boogie 4x12 which is crazy expensive where i'm from
Quote by martin.ouwehand
Okay thanks people i think i'll buy the 120w version, but which speaker cabinet will go with this amp?
Besides the mesa boogie 4x12 which is crazy expensive where i'm from

http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g412s_vintage.htm.

I've heard great things.

Another option is:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

I prefer the tighter 2x12 sound.

Plus, the Nederlans term for amp is just way better than the english version.

Versterker sounds way more metal than Amp.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by the chemist
http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g412s_vintage.htm.

I've heard great things.

Another option is:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

I prefer the tighter 2x12 sound.

Plus, the Nederlans term for amp is just way better than the english version.

Versterker sounds way more metal than Amp.

You're right, dutch sounds more metal
i think i'll be going for a 2x12 then, but to be honest i have no idea what makes a cabinet a good cabinet. i'll trust you on your word that the harley benton will be good, but i'd also like to understand why the harley is 222euros and the mesa boogie almost a thousand, when it has the same speakers.
1st, Mesa is imported from the US.

2nd, Mesa cabs are built like Shermans

3rd, there's some 'Pay for the name' going on there
Quote by Watterboy
Quote by the chemist
1st, Mesa is imported from the US.

2nd, Mesa cabs are built like Shermans

3rd, there's some 'Pay for the name' going on there

Allright, but the tone / sounds quality would be about the same for what i understand?
Should be from what I've heard of them.
Quote by Watterboy