Hello,

My amp seems to be on it's last legs, so i'm looking to purchase a new one. I play metal for the most part. Specifically black and death metal, although i'm not really looking to emulate any particular band. I also like playing more ambient and shoegazey type music, but i have an ME-50 for effects and things. I'd just like a versatile amp that can work well with the extremes of metal.

My previous amp was a Laney LX35D in case you were wondering. My guitar is also a Schecter Hellraiser C-1. I only intend to play at home. No band or live aspirations or anything.

Any suggestions on brands or specific amps would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by SomberSun at Mar 17, 2016,
Maybe try and find a used Ashdown Fallen Angel? They were always the go to cheap amps for extreme metal, don't think they make them anymore though. My Laney AOR boosted with a Rat clone does extreme metal but it's pretty old school sounding. It won't do that modern metal sound. Maybe you could find a used Peavey 6505 combo for that much as well if you're lucky. Also does it need to be loud enough to gig/rehearse or are you just playing in your bedroom?

Also there's a Laney VC50 on ebay at the moment for cheap (don't know if you're allowed to post links on here so I'll leave you to search for it). That would probably do death/black with a boost.

Or a JCM 900 would probably work. I remember them sounding pretty fucking powerful (albeit at extreme volume levels) when local bands used them.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Mar 17, 2016,
"Ashdown Fallen Angel" sounds perfect going by the name alone. Can only find one on ebay but it's for collect. Same with the Laney VC50 and the 6505s close to my price range are collect as well. Would the Ashdown and Peavey brands in general be something to look into, though?

I only play at home. I doubt i'll ever be in a band or play live or anything like that. I'll add this to the OP.
I don't think Ashdown does any other amps geared towards metal. If you can find a Peavey XXX or JSX in budget they're supposed to be good for metal as well. Laney Ironheart is apparently good too if you can find one in budget.

At this price point and considering you're playing at home it might be better to go for a Peavey Vypyr or similar. I've only heard good things but I've not played one so don't take this as a recommendation exactly. Also completely forgot, Bugera is the cheap brand for decent sounding metal amps nowadays. They are notorious for reliability issues though so might not be a good idea. But they might be better nowadays anyway.
The 6505 combo will do the br00tz easily but for the clean shoe-gazy stuff it will not be anything special. It would work for you well enough though I think. I know Laney has plenty of good tube models so check them out.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Also there's a Laney VC50 on ebay at the moment for cheap (don't know if you're allowed to post links on here so I'll leave you to search for it). That would probably do death/black with a boost.
Why wouldn't we?
Quote by korinaflyingv
Bugera is the cheap brand for decent sounding metal amps nowadays. They are notorious for reliability issues though so might not be a good idea. But they might be better nowadays anyway.

From what I've seen, they have gotten better reliability wise. Personally, I've had one for close to 7 years now and have never had any major issues with it.

On an unrelated note, if you want something solid state, I'd recommend looking into some of the older Peavey Transtube stuff (i.e. the Supreme, Bandit, Revolution etc.). The onboard gain channels aren't too bad and they take pedals REALLY well (I have a Peavey Revolution 112 as a backup for my Bugera).
^ it is if you're deliberately advertising, but as far as i know it's fine (in fact actively encouraged) if you're just trying to help someone else in a thread.

would a jet city get br00tal enough?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Though out of your price range new, at £375, a vox ac10c1 might be right for you; it has an extra speaker output and great versatility, and I'm sure you get get it for far less used.
Quote by choonoo.lunn
Though out of your price range new, at £375, a vox ac10c1 might be right for you; it has an extra speaker output and great versatility, and I'm sure you get get it for far less used.
Not for metal at all.
^ aye. i mean i haven't tried it (the vox), but i was concerned a jet city might not be brootal enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+3 on the Ashdown Fallen Angel, I have the head and with a quick mod you can make it sound like a boosted Marshall for 1/4 of the price.

Laney AOR might also do it, just bypass the preamp or dial it in with an overdrive patch, I played in a thrash band where I loaned mine to the other guitarist, he put a TS in front of it and it sounded very good.

Maybe these used:
Laney VC15
Marshall DSL40C
Peavey Valveking (maybe new as well?)
Tech21 TM30 or TM60
Traynor YCV50B

Since you have the multifx, if you like what you're dialing in that you can probably just go into powered PA speaker or clean tube amp like say Kustom Avenger 15 and call it a day.