Page 1 of 2
ITT discuss the degradation of discourse

Ad hominem is an argumentative fallacy, but could 'received ad hominem' also be one? Like: "oh call me such-and-such name? okay this argument is over maybe when ur mature you'll see how wrong you are "

Quote by guitarxo
"Well of course you would think that, you've been brainwashed"

This one's my go-to. If it's sourced by the media consolidate, it's wrong
I love the one where they go jrcsgtpeppers, you dont know what youre talking about because youve do too many drugs (:
Quote by guitarxo
"Well of course you would think that, you've been brainwashed"

This has come up in my life quite a few times because of my military experience. It's pretty frustrating. Regardless of your actual personality, it's hard to shake the stereotype if that's their first impression of you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
This has come up in my life quite a few times because of my military experience. It's pretty frustrating. Regardless of your actual personality, it's hard to shake the stereotype if that's their first impression of you.

Well of course you'd think that...

Also mine is when you make an argument and then insult someone and they typify your entire argument as ad hom. You're an asshole beside my argument, that's just a by-the-by. I'm not forming my argumentbased on you being an asshole.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Mar 17, 2016,
I contend that I'd probably agree with anything said by the owner of this butt, so that's kind of cheating.

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I love the one where they go jrcsgtpeppers, you dont know what youre talking about because youve do too many drugs (:

you've do too many drugs indeed.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
you've do too many drugs indeed.

Dammit I was gonna get that one
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Fat Lard
ITT discuss the degradation of discourse

Ad hominem is an argumentative fallacy, but could 'received ad hominem' also be one? Like: "oh call me such-and-such name? okay this argument is over maybe when ur mature you'll see how wrong you are

There is an informal fallacy that involves rejecting a persons whole argument or ending the discussion because they've committed a logical fallacy. I can't think of what it's called though but I'm sure wiki has a list of them.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
You can't get a girlfriend joke + ur mom joke

Unless ur female, then go make a sammich.
Quote by seanlang01
There is an informal fallacy that involves rejecting a persons whole argument or ending the discussion because they've committed a logical fallacy. I can't think of what it's called though but I'm sure wiki has a list of them.

fallacy fallacy
"You disagree with me? Clearly you didn't study the subject in equal detail and reach a different conclusion based on your own perspective and additional information related to the subject, you're just ignorant and know less than me. I mean it's not like it's possible for people to reach different conclusions regarding a subject, or for something to have multiple valid interpretations, right?"

Edit: Also, "I get to call you whatever I want and characterize you as a monster and a terrible person, but the second you're anything but respectful and polite with me, you're the bad guy."
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 17, 2016,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I think your alleged excessive drug use is overshadowed by your ridiculous histrionic behaviour tbh
You're comments were sexist, racist, AND homophobic.
Oh, and you spelled something wrong.
I WIN!!!
When people move goalposts and strawman I tend to switch of pretty sharpish. Adhom I care less about.

Arguments from emotion/nature/science are an immediate end to conversations.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Another interesting one is "poisoning the well". By preemptively drawing attention to personal characteristics (undesirable or otherwise) of your opponent, you set the stage so that any subsequent argument that comes out of your opponents mouth cannot be trusted.

E.g. "Donald Trump is a republican, so anything he says can't possibly be true".
Quote by Fat Lard
This one's my go-to. If it's sourced by the media consolidate, it's wrong

This is how Donald Trump can say whatever the hell he wants.

I'm a very logical, linear thinker, so this sort of stuff drives me nuts unless I'm just trying to be a total shit. In that case, a belittling, shit-eating grin and condescending tone goes a long way.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Banjocal

Am I missing something here?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Banjocal
When people move goalposts and strawman I tend to switch of pretty sharpish. Adhom I care less about.

Specifically the form that goes: "Science says... "

Not that I'm some kind of weirdo science denier, but science as an endeavor is rarely one homogeneous perspective. Especially behavioral/human sciences.
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at Mar 17, 2016,
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Specifically the form that goes: "Science says... "

Not that I'm some kind of weirdo science denier, but science as an endeavor is rarely one homogeneous perspective. Especially behavioral/human sciences.

Makes sense, thanks for the perspective.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Scientism is what I mean yeah. Those who attempt to reduce complex experiences and concepts to formulae, and then treat that as though it is privileged. If it's "science demonstrates that chemical reaction X happens 99.9% of the time" I can dig that because it's working with non-conscious, easily controllable substances. It's when it's used to assert objective positions within psychology, philosophy, art, sociology etc. that I take issue.

The empirical method all told is a strong one, but many STEM and humanities folks forget where it came from, and what its faults are.

I feel similarly about hard rationalism, but that's another discussion...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Mar 17, 2016,
I always thought that the "97% of scientists say......" was a pretty bullshit argument for so many reasons.
Quote by JustRooster

I can imagine how annoying that must be. The times I've had it happen were because of where I grew up and my cultural background. It's pretty amazing how influential first impressions and stereotypes can be, even after you have known someone for a while.
cat
Quote by Banjocal
Scientism is what I mean yeah. Those who attempt to reduce complex experiences and concepts to formulae, and then treat that as though it is privileged. If it's "science demonstrates that chemical reaction X happens 99.9% of the time" I can dig that because it's working with non-conscious, easily controllable substances. It's when it's used to assert objective positions within psychology, philosophy, art, sociology etc. that I take issue.

The empirical method all told is a strong one, but many STEM and humanities folks forget where it came from, and what its faults are.

I feel similarly about hard rationalism, but that's another discussion...

Da. Science is fucking awesome but people forget its place.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by EyeNon15
I always thought that the "97% of scientists say......" was a pretty bullshit argument for so many reasons.

Four out of five dentists agree!

But what about the fifth dentist...
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz

But what about the fifth dentist...

Aqua Fresh didn't give him a check I guess
Quote by Banjocal

Oh yeah, ends to conversation. Real flowery shit that purposely attempts to communicate good intent while offering nothing of value.
"agree to disagree"

so then we were arguing just for some egotistical shit getting off on our own words.

change your position or die you asshole.

(i don't like debates/arguments because I end up wanting to beat up unreasonable sorts)

like i think debates where no one has budged should end with both sides telling each other to get fucked and wishing death on each other.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Arby911
Makes sense, thanks for the perspective.

hehe one small-time poorly developed of many
Quote by theguitarist at #33883803
like i think debates where no one has budged should end with both sides telling each other to get fucked and wishing death on each other.

That's usually when I like to request a trial by combat.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by theguitarist at #33883803

I don't like the sound of that, but let's agree to disagree
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I don't like the sound of that, but let's agree to disagree

I don't want to agree to disagree.

So let's agree to disagree
are you agreeing to disagree

or are you disagreeing to agree

makes u think
Page 1 of 2