So I have this crazy idea right now that i want to try swirl painting the pick up covers for 2 of my basses. Was wondering if anyone has tried this or anything similar? Will it affect the tone at all?
It won't affect tone IMO but make sure you are using the right paint for whatever you are painting (I.E. metal or plastic)
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
probably rough up the surface with some sandpaper too. assuming the whole thing is covered in paint and gonna hide the scratches. might wanna look into spraying some kind of varnish or lacquer on it after painting. I don't know which would work best.
Last edited by mattedbird at Mar 17, 2016,
I've heard that your tone will improve by 10% for every different colour you use
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
I've heard that your tone will improve by 10% for every different colour you use
I knew tone wasn't in your fingers
i thought this would be about actual painting

u suk ts

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Joshua Garcia
But what you're REALLY going to want to use is a new amp.

What colour should I paint my new amp?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Sorry about the misleading title, wasn't sure what to call the thread
Quote by JamSessionFreak

u suk ts
Quote by JamSessionFreak

u suk ts

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by beyondcreation
Sorry about the misleading title, wasn't sure what to call the thread

nah it's okay im just shittalking for the hell of it

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by slapsymcdougal
bob ross

Every string tree needs a friend.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually would argue that it affects the tone.
I'm still trying to figure out the truth of different bridges making your tone better. it depends on who you ask

not to change the subject
Last edited by mattedbird at Mar 18, 2016,
Quote by MeTallIcA313
I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually would argue that it affects the tone.

My Yamaha 12-string is painted (there's a pic in my profile); the whole body. It didn't affect the tone in the least. Not remotely. Honestly, "it affects the tone" is kinda absurd.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
probably gesso it first or prime it so it doesn't peal off, i would not use acrylic
Quote by Stirups
probably gesso it first or prime it so it doesn't peal off, i would not use acrylic

Echo that. Don't use acrylic.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Quote by Stirups

I planned on using enamel paint. I did a test run with some covers off an old cheap strat copy i had laying around. If i can figure out how to downsize the pics I'll post them.
Make sure you swirl counter-clockwise, otherwise the paint will interact with the magnetic field from the pickups and reduce your tone.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
also use ur dick as a brush

Already did, my gf was a bit surprised by the blue and gold swirl. Good news is the paint dries and works as a condom.