Poll: Do you struggle with maintaining eye contact?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you struggle with maintaining eye contact?
Yes
18 43%
No
24 57%
Voters: 42.
Page 1 of 2
With it still being many, many years before virtual reality is more than just hot garbage, I am forced to continue adhering to the shittiness of IRL interactions. For those who are unfamiliar with the acronym I just used, IRL stands for 'in real life', as in events that take place within the god forsaken 'real world'. You know, outside of the love, comfort, and safety of the internet.

One of the grievances of this supposed IRL is interacting with fellow humans. As you all know I'm a bit of a hermit when it comes to the IRL. Something as simple as trying to hold a conversation is hard for me, and attempting to do so usually results in me stuttering like a nervous little school girl.

Speaking of conversations, what's with the eye contact? Here I am, arduously trying to arrange words in my mind in an attempt to make a modicum of sense, you know, trying to SPEAK properly, while the other person simply stands there, grinning daftly as they stare bullets into your eyes. I know its's good courtesy to, you know, LOOK at people you're talking to, but goodness even the thought of returning eye contact seems awkward as hell. I'd probably lose my jumbled train of thought doing so, and through my sudden silence and sweating, give off the impression that I've fallen in love with this person or something.

Am I the only one who struggles with this nonsense? Why must the IRL be so hard
ggg1 ggg3

The more eye contact you do, the less you have to talk because you can intimidate the other person with it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134 at #33885254
The more eye contact you do, the less you have to talk because you can intimidate the other person with it.
Not everyone is as dashing as you. My visage resembles that of a beaten potato.

One day in middle school, a bunch of girls went around and starting rating the guys appearances out of 10. I was given a 4.

I will hold that 4 with me to my grave.
ggg1 ggg3

Eye contact is contextual

It's important at some parts of the conversation / interaction I feel - like when you first meet someone, or when you're addressing them among other people, but it's not something you maintain all the time, that's quite creepy. Look around at the room and don't just stare into them, but every few moments make sure to reassert eye contact.
No no ins, looks have nothing to do with it and I'm not attractive.

Also happy birthday.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Eastwinn
you got problems bud

didnt read the OP but with a tread titled 'eye contact' this is probably true

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
No I'm good at eye contact because the eyes are the windows to the soul and my soul is pure and I want everyone to know that
cat
Eye contact's fine.

There's social and mental disorders which make people unable to maintain eye contact, autism being the most prominent. I don't hold it against people if they're shifty or unable to maintain it during conversation, but I'd make an assumption they at the very least have social anxiety, or don't like me.

Also after breaking eye contact, I couldn't tell you what your eye color is, I'm not looking that hard at your face, I'm just talking to you, not making an inventory of your looks.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 18, 2016,
i can maintain eye contact but breaking eye contact is an important social cue

like if i ask someone a question, and they spend ten seconds thinking about it, and they're just staring at me, that's pretty unnerving. the way we make and break eye contact is a huge part of communicating

i used to hate eye contact, but that's because it's harder to avoid questions and everything when you maintain eye contact, and i used to want to avoid everything
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Victory2134 at #33885270
No no ins, looks have nothing to do with it and I'm not attractive.

Also happy birthday.
What are you talking about, looks have everything to do with it. I imagine it's much easier to hold a conversation when the other person is too busy swooning to pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paE3xuoamD4
ggg1 ggg3

Have to make eye contact to maintain it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
There's no option for "sometimes"
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Sometimes it feels like I dont make enough eye contact but I honestly think I'm perfectly fine. I don't think about it much. The only weird thing that I sometimes think about when Im talking to people is my posture and body language
Quote by RCA1186 at #33885426
There's no option for "sometimes"
I ain't giving you a fence to perch your indecisive ass on. You're either normal or you ain't.
ggg1 ggg3

No. I used to struggle with it, but I developed the ability to do it non-awkwardly.

And I would liken it to a skill that is learned.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
when you are about to kiss a qt for the first time and she's looking at you and you make eye contact and she looks down to your lips and you look down to your lips and you look up to her eyes and she looks up to your eyes and then she closes her eyes and leans forward and so do u and you both kiss
I like holding eye contact. Until the other person looks away first and I win.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Baby Joel
i can maintain eye contact but breaking eye contact is an important social cue

like if i ask someone a question, and they spend ten seconds thinking about it, and they're just staring at me, that's pretty unnerving. the way we make and break eye contact is a huge part of communicating

Quote by Victory2134

works even better if the person you are speaking to I'd smaller than you

I am by no means a giant but I am bigger than a lot of people I interact with on a daily basis
Quote by soundgarden1986
works even better if the person you are speaking to I'd smaller than you

I am by no means a giant but I am bigger than a lot of people I interact with on a daily basis

Just one of the advantages to being a kiddie fiddler, right?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Only ETR could make kissing a girl sound so gay.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's only awkward if the other person is explaining something and I have to stare at them. If it's a conversation then it's okay because of the back and forth dialogue.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by behind_you
I ain't giving you a fence to perch your indecisive ass on. You're either normal or you ain't.

Then I choose not to vote
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
when you are about to kiss a qt for the first time and she's looking at you and you make eye contact and she looks down to your lips and you look down to your lips and you look up to her eyes and she looks up to your eyes and then she closes her eyes and leans forward and u flop you peen out

Dude, slow down.
Quote by guitarxo
No I'm good at eye contact because the eyes are the windows to the soul and my soul is pure and I want everyone to know that

Quote by guitarxo at #33885337

nice

I look people in the eye so they can appreciate the perfection of my eyes
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by behind_you
With it still being many, many years before virtual reality is more than just hot garbage, I am forced to continue adhering to the shittiness of IRL interactions. For those who are unfamiliar with the acronym I just used, IRL stands for 'in real life', as in events that take place within the god forsaken 'real world'. You know, outside of the love, comfort, and safety of the internet.

One of the grievances of this supposed IRL is interacting with fellow humans. As you all know I'm a bit of a hermit when it comes to the IRL. Something as simple as trying to hold a conversation is hard for me, and attempting to do so usually results in me stuttering like a nervous little school girl.

Speaking of conversations, what's with the eye contact? Here I am, arduously trying to arrange words in my mind in an attempt to make a modicum of sense, you know, trying to SPEAK properly, while the other person simply stands there, grinning daftly as they stare bullets into your eyes. I know its's good courtesy to, you know, LOOK at people you're talking to, but goodness even the thought of returning eye contact seems awkward as hell. I'd probably lose my jumbled train of thought doing so, and through my sudden silence and sweating, give off the impression that I've fallen in love with this person or something.

Am I the only one who struggles with this nonsense? Why must the IRL be so hard

Dude, you just need to learn not to give a fuck about what people think of you.
Quote by The_Blode
^ I mean I don't think anybody's soul is pure...not to discount your efforts there...but I don't think humans are pure animals...we've collectively done unspeakable things...or allowed those things to happen...and we've all ignored the cries of some suffering somewhere...or use a product that may have been used on animal testing...or eating that chicken dipper...knowing that a chicken died so you could enjoy a tasty snack...purity is a myth...imo....

jfc
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by korinaflyingv
naa. caring what people think of you can be a pretty good trait.

Yeah, sure, with the people that you actually interact with on a more regular basis. I mean more along the lines of don't worry what a random stranger thinks of you.
Page 1 of 2