Hello all.

Been a little while for me (again) but I finally managed to get something to a complete sort of stage.

Sooooo.......... Ten-thumb-musical-productions proudly presents .....

Inivisible (Tweaked Mix)

As always, not entirely happy with the end result. The vocal performance is pretty iffy in places (had a bit of a cold when I was doing them). I apologise to all and sundry for my attempts to sing - I wont be giving up my day job! Not sure about the snare sound either (again) but I thought it would be a change from my usual way of treating/mixing it.

Anyway, as always I appreciate hearing any critique or suggestions people have. I'm always keen to try and improve (it's a painful process at times). And of course anyway who takes the time to listen can leave a link to their track and I'll happily return the favour.

Hope somebody enjoys it.

Cheers
Last edited by RabidBadger at Mar 19, 2016,
Thanks for reviewing my track.
Strong points: tight guitars, tight bass, tight drumming, song seems constructed well (flow between verse and chorus etc.)

Weak points: vocals.

All the instruments alone sound pretty good. The mix itself is overall pretty good but not perfect. Nothing bad in particular sticks out which is good, it is just lacking something in terms of the audio production. Hard to tell what it is that it needs though. I go through this same process with my tracks, I know they aren't perfect but I don't know what they need. What I have done in the past (specifically on the death metal song you heard) is compare my track to reference tracks. this guy's video can do a better job explaining that process than I can.
Keep it up man.
heres the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFbBJFmF2-g
Xevious - thanks for the crit. I do generally try listening to properly mixed/mastered tracks on my monitors to try and get a handle on where to improve - although I dont normally try and specifically pick a track with similar instrumental make up (sounds stupid I know).

Anyway I tried tweaking it a little based on some referencing and have uploaded a new version. It's not a wow type difference but I think it is a little better.

Mr Aardvark - will check out your track soon.

Cheers
Haha I really like this, yes the instrumental and all is well done, well mixed with what it has, but man, without paying too much attention to what the vocals are saying, the only thing that keeps me from headbanging to this is that it lacks the power that makes music like this brutal.

I'd love to hear this with huge hi-gain guitars, more bass in the mix overall, maybe some of the vocal parts fixed, bigger sounding drums, and this song would be violent as f*ck.

Right now it sounds well mixed, but too clean for the genre in my opinion, the guitar sounds like it's going through a distorsion pedal, for a huge sound I'd prefer to use an overdriven amp without the "fuzz" that a distorsion pedal gives you, combine that with a bass tone that sounds big and fits the guitar tone well and you're good.

It should sound more modern like that, a dist pedal gives it a more old school feeling when well used.

Musically I like it, the only thing that keeps me from headbanging to this, like I said, is the lack of power in the mix.

But well done man!
Last edited by VStratto Music at Mar 20, 2016,
The vocals were my favourite bit, you need to record with a cold more often mate. I think you should have a more 'industrial' sounding beat, more electronic or programmed and a more crushing hi-gain guitar sound, abrasive and unforgiving. I would have liked some samples thrown in as well. It's made me want to listen to 'Streetcleaner'...
I love the main riff, production is pretty good. I'm not a fan of growl vocals but they were decent enough as you said you're unhappy with them but they sound quite solid. The breakdown is sweet around 3:20, the fade out at the end is really cool too. Overall I enjoyed it more than I thought it would, thanks for the crit and keep up the good work!
Thanks for the comments people.

VStratto - I agree totally about the sound. In my head, a massive agressive production was the idea. Sadly I still lack the skills to translate such lofty ideas into actual sounds. And guitar tone is something I still struggle with. I dont have a big stack to play with (and it would be impractical in the house anyway) so I'm using a Boss GT6 straight into my preamps. The amp/cab simulation on the gt6 isnt bad - but I suck at setting it up - so the sound isnt great.

Carbin Monoxide + Poisonouspot - Thanks a lot for the kind words. I'm pretty stoked that some people liked the music, in spite of the flaws.

Cheers.
Quote by RabidBadger
Thanks for the comments people.

VStratto - I agree totally about the sound. In my head, a massive agressive production was the idea. Sadly I still lack the skills to translate such lofty ideas into actual sounds. And guitar tone is something I still struggle with. I dont have a big stack to play with (and it would be impractical in the house anyway) so I'm using a Boss GT6 straight into my preamps. The amp/cab simulation on the gt6 isnt bad - but I suck at setting it up - so the sound isnt great.

Carbin Monoxide + Poisonouspot - Thanks a lot for the kind words. I'm pretty stoked that some people liked the music, in spite of the flaws.

Cheers.

Dude check out amp VST's, I have tried nearly all of them except the more expensive units like the axe fx, actually my tone is a free vst amp + custom impulses, the ones you gotta pay for suck (at least for me), because you're locked to using their impulses most of the time

You can get it to sound HUGE

Look up LePou Plugins, they're free, download the amp heads, download the cab sim, get some impulses, find a good tone for the mix, then mess around with eq/volume, pair with a good bass tone and you're set

75% of it is to find a good impulse
Lotta solid riffs in this track, really digging it!
Vocals really add to everything for sure, don't think I'd Change them at all dope dude!
Guitar tone is solid, very thrashy, specifically like Slayer, if that's what you're going for. I enjoy the play on the variation of the original riff for the verse.

Drums are simple but very well synchronized with the guitar. They reinforce the song.

I feel like the vocals is the place for the most improvement in the song. I think the notes and lyrics are fine, but the performance can have more force behind it. The vocals sound whispered and muffled at times. I do like some of the "rawness" the vocals have during the chorus, this also sounds like Slayer. So I wouldn't change how you sing them, just sing them on a day without a cold.

Interlude around 3:10 is solid.

C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1699339
Man,

Thanks for the crit!

This song I had already liked on SC when I opened this up! Definitely like the vocals! Don't change a thing to them! Also like the rawness of the track and the thrashy guitars. The mix sounds alright to me! Cool song overall - got me nodding!