Basically I just got my Jackson RRMG set up in Drop C with an 11-54 Ernie Ball set of strings. Tension is fantastic. I love it. However the low E (Now a C obviously) has fret buzz on every note that isn't open. (Unless I play crazy gently and don't strike the string like I prefer too.) It'll buzz against the next fret. The guy said I can bring it back and get it handled if it's not my thing but I'm wondering how much fret buzz is too much and if it's worth bringing it back. All of the other strings are at a fantastic height and it's a Floyd so I have to raise all of them or none of them. I think I might be hearing it through the amp. I could be wrong. I can hear it over the amp, but I'm holding the guitar so I might just hear the guitar. What do you guys think?
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
I think if you have to ask, it's probably too much.

Some people say that any is too much, but that's a pretty high bar to clear. Dan Erlewine says that in general if the buzzing is minor and doesn't come through the amp, it's not necessarily a problem. I tend to agree with that.

Your situation, though, doesn't sound minor. Buzzing all the way down the neck makes me think that something is truly not functioning correctly, and it would probably drive me crazy if I tried to play like that. So I'd get it checked out. A good tech should be able to at least minimize the buzzing, although I'm not familiar with such severe dropped tunings so it may be the case that your guitar isn't quite up to the task, and some compromises will have to be made.

Basically, if you just got it set up and it's not doing what you think it should be, take it back.
with a floyd it's always a compromise, you will have to adjust the truss rod or bridge to get it to work so the other 5 strings won't be as perfect any more. The adjustment needed is probably pretty minor though so it won't totally screw up the other strings, just get them a bit further from the fretboard.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Don't know about floyd rose, but how about the saddle? If the string sits lower than the others it is impossible to get it to play without buzz.
But the thing about FR saddles is they aren't even wide enough to fit thicker strings on the bass side. I imagine the lowest/2 lowest strings aren't even sitting in the saddle but riding well above it.
You can adjust individual Floyd saddles for height. Leastways, Gary Brawer can <G>.

You can get individual Floyd saddles that will handle larger strings.

Check the Floyd Rose site or your Really Good Tech. Floyd is putting out trems for eight-string guitars, so you KNOW they've got saddles that are up to the task.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
They make shims for Floyd Rose saddles to fine tune individual saddle height and to help match your fretboard radius better, if needed.

You can make the shims yourself with piece of a coke can. You don't need to buy anything.

Wouldn't surprise me too much if that's where they get their shim stock from.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I have a guitar set in DropC as well, it buzzes on every note as well (excluding open)

In my opinion, too much fret buzz is when you start hearing it through the guitar amp
On the optimistic side . . . y'know, maybe that's your sound now.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You can make the shims yourself with piece of a coke can. You don't need to buy anything.

well you have to buy a can of coke presumably
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have this thing called metal shears and a grinder/belt sander (though not necessary, just makes the job go faster) which allows me to make the shims any shape I want. If I need them to be thinner, I can carefully sand them to the thickness I need.

And if you want steel rather than aluminium, there are plenty of beer cans out there made from steel.

Sure it takes more effort than buying shims, but I'd rather use that money for something else. Like a drink of coke.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Nobody complains about buying a couple of Grolschs to make straplocks, why not shim stock?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 20, 2016,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I have shears grinders and tons of other tools since I'm a huge DIY person (plus worked in several trades and do all my own mechanic work) and very mechanically inclined. But what if a person doesn't have all the stuff you and I have, they will spend more buying the tools and may never need to use them again. I haven't came across a steel beer can in decades.

NOS beer cans, my friend.

Fair enough really though. It isn't hard to make your own if you have the tools lying around. But the option is there if the tools are, there's little reason to not use them.
Quote by TheSennaj
If the buzz can be heard through the amp or if it annoys you then there is too much buzz.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Cashier: "Is Pepsi okay?"
^ coke gives a browner tone

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I have this thing called metal shears and a grinder/belt sander (though not necessary, just makes the job go faster) which allows me to make the shims any shape I want. If I need them to be thinner, I can carefully sand them to the thickness I need.

And if you want steel rather than aluminium, there are plenty of beer cans out there made from steel.

Sure it takes more effort than buying shims, but I'd rather use that money for something else. Like a drink of coke.

Nobody complains about buying a couple of Grolschs to make straplocks, why not shim stock?

lol

i don't have all that other kit, though. i'd have to buy that too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How low is your action? Action lower than 2.5/64" is bound to have buzzing. This is really low playing action. If your action is the standard of around 4/64" or 1/16" then you may need neck relief/saddle adjustments. I doubt that it's because of a fretlevel that is needed, as only SOME would buzz more than others..