Hi!

I currently play metal via audio software (Logic), but I've found that isn't enough for me as I can't jam with my buddies if I use that, so I'm thinking of actually buying a half stack. I mostly play heavy metal, thrash metal, and some heavier subgenres. I want a half stack that I can comfortably use to play with loud buddies and in large rooms. I particularly like Dimebag's scooped and heavy tone, but at this point I'm not really being picky. My budget is around 500-1000$ but I'd go 2000$ if I had to. I would prefer to stay cheap though.

I currently use a Jackson King V with stock pickups but I'm upgrading the bridge pup to an EMG 81 soon.

I'm not really a Dime wannabe but I was looking at used Randall (warhead and others) combos and heads, as I love the heavy sound, but I'm not sure as to what's good because I've never purchased any kind of amp before. I'm willing to buy used gear. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Scour the used market for Mesa, Engl, HK, Deizels.

The problems I found with Randall amps is that the bass can be hard to focus in (in my experience)

One option is to find a Mesa Nomad or .50 Cal. as they usually go for cheap on the used market. I'd also look for a Coreblade or Switchblade used, they are some of the gnarliest amps I've ever heard.

If you want something that can do a few different tones, Engls and Diezels are also good.

For new, some of the best value is found, IMHO, in the 6506+ Combo:

6505+

650 bones will get you a good amp (that can do that scooped sound) and should leave you enough to get an OD808 or similar drive pedal.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by diabolical
6505 and get it over with

Yup. Best value.
Quote by Watterboy
I think if you are looking for a half stack, spare no expense on a cabinet. Marshall 1960 cabs can be had on the used market for $400 or less, and I have to say that it is worth it. You can get a used 6505 head and a used Marshall cab within your budget range, but if the 6505 is too much, you can get away with a range of heavy tones from a Peavey JSX (XXX II is the post Joe Satriani version of the same amp), XXX, or even a Valveking if you don't mind getting an overdrive pedal and an EQ pedal. The point I'm trying to make is don't stretch your budget for a 6505 if you're going to skimp out on the cabinet. I personally think a JSX sounds better through a nice cab than a 6505 does through a cheap one. I have a Valveking and it sounds tons better through my Marshall cabinet than it does through my Blackstar cabinet.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Just a week ago I picked up a Mesa Mark III for $400. While the 6505 head is great, if you're going to want some cleans/a lot of flexibility, I'd heavily recommend trying to find a cheap mesa in the area (And if you can find a Mark III, that would fit your bill). And as far as cab, definitely go Marshall 1960 or Mesa Rectifier (which is probably in the 500ish range).
Quote by the chemist
Scour the used market for Mesa, Engl, HK, Deizels.

The problems I found with Randall amps is that the bass can be hard to focus in (in my experience)

One option is to find a Mesa Nomad or .50 Cal. as they usually go for cheap on the used market. I'd also look for a Coreblade or Switchblade used, they are some of the gnarliest amps I've ever heard.

If you want something that can do a few different tones, Engls and Diezels are also good.

For new, some of the best value is found, IMHO, in the 6506+ Combo:

6505+

650 bones will get you a good amp (that can do that scooped sound) and should leave you enough to get an OD808 or similar drive pedal.

What's so good about the 6505?
Quote by adexder

They're dependable, rock solid, and have awesome tone for most high gain applications. They have a truckload of mids that cuts through the densest of mixes and more gain available than anyone could possibly ever need (I regularly set my gain on "3" and it's enough for death and black metal.)

They are often touted as a "one trick pony" that does that one trick better than just about everything else. I kinda disagree with that though. At least with the "+" version I can get pretty nice cleans, and the leads and light to mid-gain overdrive can be very tasty on that channel. It can do a lot more than just balls-out aggression.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 19, 2016,
Quote by adexder

you want metal and reasonable price then 6505 is the answer. it is widely used by metal bands and has been for a number of years now.

the ? i have is do you really need a stack. yes they look cool but are hardly needed in most situations these days. if you just want to jam with friends (even loud ones) then a 1x12 or 2x12 combo will do nicely (or a head and bottom)
Get a used Krank Kstien Jr and a Krank Kstein 4x12

or order a new production K-stein
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you have the money and want to be set for a long, long while (versatility from chiming cleans to tweeds to blues to grunge to thrash to death - and all done very well) buy a used Mesa Roadster and 212 or 412 Mesa Rectifier cab.

Also look out for a Mesa Roadster Combo - I got mine for $1,100.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by monwobobbo
the ? i have is do you really need a stack. yes they look cool but are hardly needed in most situations these days. if you just want to jam with friends (even loud ones) then a 1x12 or 2x12 combo will do nicely (or a head and bottom)

Yeah, I understand. The reason I want a half-stack is because I can have more options as to how I can make my overall sound be, and use different heads at different times with the same cab if I need to do so.
Quote by adexder
and use different heads at different times with the same cab if I need to do so.

Some heads sound like turd through certain speakers.

Your best bet is to scour for a used Mesa or Peavey half-stack.
Quote by Watterboy
I've heard some good stuff about Marshall and I was thinking about getting a 1960a cab, is it better to look for a Mesa or a Peavey instead?
1960a is the industry standard for a reason. Some Mesa cabs sound better through certain amps but you can't go with the Marshall. I wouldn't prescribe Peavey cab to anyone.

If you can't afford Marshall there is a certain Harley Benton cab that is loaded with Celestions that is the poor man's Marshall, maybe one of our Commonwealth of Nations (Canada/Britain/Australia, etc.) users can supply a link? You'll have to order it internationally but even with customs it comes out to be a deal.
I think it is this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm
Quote by diabolical
1960a is the industry standard for a reason. Some Mesa cabs sound better through certain amps but you can't go with the Marshall. I wouldn't prescribe Peavey cab to anyone.

If you can't afford Marshall there is a certain Harley Benton cab that is loaded with Celestions that is the poor man's Marshall, maybe one of our Commonwealth of Nations (Canada/Britain/Australia, etc.) users can supply a link? You'll have to order it internationally but even with customs it comes out to be a deal.
I think it is this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm

I have yet to see any in Canada, and scouring the usual places online don't give any results. So Canada is a no-go.
Quote by Watterboy
Long & McQuade carry the 1960a cabs, but they're 1200$ which is literally my entire budget. Too bad they don't have a larger variety of different companies like the one in question and Blackstar (And others)
Quote by adexder
Long & McQuade carry the 1960a cabs, but they're 1200$ which is literally my entire budget. Too bad they don't have a larger variety of different companies like the one in question and Blackstar (And others)

People are importing the HB and even with import tax you'd be getting ahead...might want to think about it.
Quote by adexder

Try Steve's.

https://www.stevesmusic.com/
Quote by Watterboy