Firstly I am not going to buy the guitar for a few more months at least (recently bought a US Strat and should let my bank balance get back up) but I am in the planning and dreaming phase.

I have a used Prestige Ibanez 2550Z with evos which is great but is pretty worn down (bought it used and the frets are a bit worn in - no buzzing yet but they are not very rounded, and the trem doesn't quite stay in tune as well as I want, even after filing the knife edges. Basically bought it before learning more about what to look for in a used guitar). I want something similar, but with a few changes. What I'm looking for:

1) New guitar
2) Below $1600 USD
3) 24 jumbo frets
4) quality tremelo
5) if possible, not dimarzio pickups. Quality, warm pickups
6) relatively light. Something like the Ibanez S series seems good. Prefer strat, superstrat shape
7) good quality build, attention to fretwork etc

I write about dimarzios as really I feel there is this dimarzio tone across most of their pickups that just isn't warm enough (organic enough? almost like a synthetic quality is present) for me, even if many of my favorite players use them. I far prefer the sound of a Les Paul as far as hb's go. This makes it hard with Ibanez given they use Dimarzio's, so I could be willing to get the tone zone/air norton combo. Then again I have the evo's so I could install them on a guitar with cheaper pups, if going the dimarzio route.

I am kind of considering PRS SE guitars, another Prestige, wondering what else is out there.

Thank you!
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Mar 19, 2016,
You could get a PRS CE, can find them under US$1500, and are essentially identical to the core line outside of the bolt on neck and no bird inlays (though bird inlay CEs do exist, just rare). But really what's so bad about just getting any good ibanez and swapping the pick-ups? I don't like dimarzios either but that wouldn't stop me from getting a guitar that otherwise fits my needs perfectly. Pups can be changed cheap and quick, but the neck, body and bridge are another story.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Yea I mean it's hard to beat prestige's- I just would like something which already comes with the pups I want. I am trying to sell off some emgs and vintage rails now and the market is so saturated I'd lose quite a bit after swapping pups and selling the dimarzio's
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
In other words, you're looking for a Carvin.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Mar 19, 2016,
I'll check out Carvin. For warmoth I'm a bit scared to do it considering resale value is low and there are more factors involved that could go wrong. Warmoth would be cool otherwise.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you