Been wanting to buy a neck and body and build an early 80's Charvel clone. However, I realized that I have a 1998 dissassembled RG350 that I sanded down in 2009-2010 and kind of forgot about. I've always bought my guitars and never really done any kind of refinish work. So here is a generic pic of what I started out with 6 years ago.

Last edited by badger6 at Mar 28, 2016,
Here's where I'm at now. I had only the front and back sanded down and I remember sanding it by hand was a bitch. Last weekend I used a heat gun for the sides. That's what the darker burn marks are from.

What I'm planning on doing is a version of the famous and much copied burnt stained blue. However I think that with the ugly and multi colored 5 piece body that I'm going to do more of a distressed light blue and maybe use the heat gun a little. Here's kind of what I'm trying to achieve, except maybe a little darker with more weathered type streaks.

Here's what I'm thinking. Stain black and sand back, then stain brown and sand back. Then maybe a little heat gun treatment. Then start on the light blue. I'm going to do a tru oil finish.

Since I've never done this before, I'm trying to get done for around $100 give or take, and I'm about $25-$30 into my budget. Therefore, I'm going to keep all the original black hardware on it. Got to think of a double or single humbucker pickguard and some cheap pickups also. For that I think that I'll stick with maybe a plain flat black to match the hardware and keep it simple. Any ideas or suggestions? Maybe a different color choice other than blue? Maybe purple, green, or red? Any tips?
awesome.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Goodbye Ibanez. Headstock sanded and holes filled. Body sanded to 220. Almost ready for the first coat of stain. Anyone know where to get Ibanez waterslide decals? Are decals safe to use under tru oil?

Last edited by badger6 at Mar 20, 2016,
Got the 1st coat of black stain on and sanded back. Looks like the headstock has some light flame, not gonna match but that's cool. Have some more sanding to do on the bottom strap button edge, inner horn edges, and bottom of the back. The end grain seems like it soaked up more and it's a bitch to sand back. But I got some pretty good streaking. Looks better in person than on the pics. Anyhow, next I'm gonna stain brown and sand back. But less sand back than the black. Got to figure out how strong to make the brown. Dark, medium, or light? What you think?

Got the rest of the black stain sanded back and hit it with a medium brown.

I sanded it back lightly and used the edge of the sanding block to make lighter streaks going with the grain. Then lightly flat sanded it. Forgot to take pics after sanding back, but it kind of hid the lamination lines to an extent but they were still too visible for my liking. Anyhow, I got creative with the brown stain and I'll let dry overnight and see what we have tomorrow after lunch.

Came back with some more black highlights.

Then sanded back again. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Then hit with the heat gun. Not too happy about the way it came out, but it's my first time doing it. I think it would work better with a small propane torch, would have better control.

Anyhow, I'm mixing the blue up and will post back in a while.....
I liked it better before the last sand back. Looked like tree camo. Now it just looks dirty. The sanding back thing only really works with wood that has grain. That basswood has basically none.
Quote by J_W
I liked it better before the last sand back. Looked like tree camo. Now it just looks dirty. The sanding back thing only really works with wood that has grain. That basswood has basically none.

Yeah, but I already bought the blue stain and decided that I wanted a burnt stained blue/weathered beat up look. I do like your idea though. I could do another like it without the sand back and stain it med/dark green. Then you could go in the woods with it and kill small animals with pinch harmonics, haha. That's a good idea J_W. I may have to try it one day. I think my next project is going to be a holoflash type deal.
Ok, got 2 coats of blue on and I think it looks ok.

I wonder if I need another coat. Some of the edges are kind of light and have some areas with light steaking. But then again it might lend to the character and worn look. Anyone have any suggestions one way or the other?

With pickguard and trem in.

I'm thinking a flat black pickguard in a 2 humbucker configuration and 2 zebra or reverse zebra humbuckers. Any suggestions?
Last edited by badger6 at Mar 22, 2016,
Ok, did the first couple coats of tru oil.

Looks like I burned the bottom side of the headstock at the tip and lower edge a little. I don't think there's much to do to fix that at this point so I won't worry about it.

I've read various forums online to use your fingers to hand rub the tru oil in. But I have one question, how do you get that shit off your hands. My hands were one big sticky mess when I finished. I think that I'll invest in some fast food gloves or something, haha.

Anyhow, tomorrow I'm going out of town until Monday. Will letting the first 2 coats sit until then matter any? Also, it's picking up a little fuzz or lint sticking to the surfaces while it's drying. What's the process for removing that? 0000 steel wool before the next coat? Or would the green scotch brite pads work better?
I like how the blue fades into the wood color on the horn picture. Looks pretty good.
Ok, got 4 coats of tru oil on this thing and noticed a drip by the forearm contour. Can't see it too well but it's there.

Wet sanded it lightly with 400 grit and started with the 5th coat.

I'm not sure if it's grain I'm seeing or light streaking in the tru oil. How long before it levels out?
Last edited by badger6 at Mar 31, 2016,