Hello all,

Please bare with my extremely newbish questions but i have no knowledge yet about electric guitar stuff.

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special II jump start kit which comes with a small amp (Electar 10).

First problem i am having is that, when i inject my headphone, the guitar doesn't become silent, meaning that others can still hear my strums. Should this be something of a problem or is it normal and expected?

Second question is that i am unable to reach a tone which sounds something like this: https://youtu.be/ToMfs7H3EPc?t=56. It rather sounds like: https://youtu.be/vGpoPLpqc-w?t=144

What do i have to do here? do i get a new amp or new strings?

Please advise.
Pushing the phones plug in the socket should stop the sound coming out of speaker (but OBVIOUSLY you can still here the guitar!). If it doesn't the phones socket is probably wired incorrectly.

I don't know what you mean about the sounds, both sound OK to me, the first one is probably using an fx pedal as well as an amp.
the first one sounds like it might be a better amp (or just a better recording), but other than that I'm with PSimonR, they both sound fine to me. Are you on the bridge pickup? The first bit of the second video is the neck pickup, then he switches to the neck. also do you have your guitar's volume and tone knobs up full?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 21, 2016,
Not all amps mute speakers when headphone is plugged... My Marshall used to do so while my Laney IRT Studio doesn't... However, you should still hear the raw strings sound coming from the guitar in all cases !

For sound comparison, I agree with Dave, sounds like a better amp. Usually amps within starter kit are not that good sounding. They are made to do the job for learning and practicing... Once you have the cash to do an upgrade, do it !
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 LTD MH-1000FR STBLK
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
JHS Little Black Amp Box
Well, the first video sounds like there's some reverb and maybe a distortion pedal to get that kind of smooth distortion. Even if your amp has those effects built in though it will probably sound more raw like the second video. Maybe if you can go to the store and try out some pedals.