Hi guys I was in a pawn shop today and stupidly didn't grab a pic or serial so hopefully this description will be enough.

The guitar was a Gibson sg, fairly new (2010+ maybe?), similar in looks to a special faded in ebony but here's where it gets weird, 2 controls, 1 volume, 1 tone, black plastic control plate (half egg shape?) around the control plate, no scratch plate and gold pickup covers, silver tuners, selling for £500/£750

Any ideas?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Sounds like it could be a Gibson SG II with some modifications (mainly the pickup covers and removed pickguard).

Did it look like this?
No had individual Tom bridge and stop bar, humbuckers, don't know if it had the sliders
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Got a better look today, looks a lot older when up close. Serial is 106446, think it's got replaced tuners (no Gibson logo?) And new control dials, only a bridge pickup, gold cover humbucker, egg shaped Control plate, checking all over the body. Dot inlays.

Think it may be a more in error Gibson SG Junior but can't find anything online.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Can you get pics? It's nowhere close to being a 2010 if that is the serial number on the back. I'm guessing it had a Made in USA stamp too? I'm guessing it was a 3 piece neck and voluted in the back? Walnut finish? Serial number would put the guitar between 70-72.

Sounds more like a Gibson SG-1 that has been routed for an ABR-1 + TP and a single HB to replace the mini. They were cheap guitars. It's not unheard of for people to do those kinds of things to them.

IMO if that's what it is, that's probably too much for it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Set neck with the volute, flat black. Could be a refined though? I have a pic of he front of the head stock and a rough pic of the body, will try and upload
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I dont think the cheaper models were made in black very much if it is a 70s era SG. Especially a flat color. If the guitar is an SG-I then it never came in black either.

I bet its a refin.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.

Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
That tailpiece position is all sorts of awful. I dont think it was original to the guitar. TRC looks a bit off/low as well and might even be the wrong shape. Headstock logo looks a bit like a replacement or was poorly done from the get go. Considering the rest of the guitar I would lean towards the former.

If I were to guess... Its probably a butchered SG-1 with the LP guard holes filled and routed for buckers. Could also be a fake. Either way, I would probably pass on that thing. I dont think its worth the stand they display it on.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^^ This !

Just pass on IMHO !
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
JHS Little Black Amp Box
i can only see one of your pics but you can totally see the aftermarket logo decal.

also, the dot of the "i" is attached to the "G". 99.9% of real decal, silkscreen, and inlay Gibson logos have the dot separated from the "G".

lot's of things wrong with that headstock. imo, probable fake.
Last edited by ad_works at Mar 23, 2016,
All I can see is the headstock pic... and that is enough to make me say PASS.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by ad_works at #33891617
i can only see one of your pics but you can totally see the aftermarket logo decal.

also, the dot of the "i" is attached to the "G". 99.9% of real decal, silkscreen, and inlay Gibson logos have the dot separated from the "G".

lot's of things wrong with that headstock. imo, probable fake.

That's not really entirely correct. Aside from the fact that the Gibson logo has changed multiple times, they have had connected dots to the G on quite a few models. A lot of them pre-war, but post war, things like LP juniors, specials etc... (IE ones that don't get the fancy inlay) had logos like that AND 70s lower end guitars had the G and i with the dot connected. Pretty sure you can find connected I dots on 80s studios and lower end models too.

In fact, here's a 2001 studio that has the same logo too:

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster