I play mostly hardcore/thrash. I need a new amp for shows and I am torn between the Dual rectifier and the Peavey 6505+. Any thoughts on what you prefer?
I play a lot of hardcore, and can say that the Rec will do it, as will the 6506+.

The Rec will have a bit more high-end information going on, and takes a bit more work to settle on a tone. The 6505+ is more 'set and forget' in comparison. IMHO, the DualRec can be used in more situations than the 6505+
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
i have an origional 5150 and i love it. i also have a mesa dual rec tremoverb, and i love it.

if i needed a more diverse range of tone, i would go with the rec. cleans are better, more tweakable.

the 5150 is flat out nasty, but it is undoubtedly a one trick pony. it does what it does and it does it good.

if you are indifferent about which you want, and you have a guitarist using a rec or 5150, get the opposite of him. i much prefer the band to have one of each in the band instead both the same.

just to throw out another line maybe an orange rockerverb.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

if you are indifferent about which you want, and you have a guitarist using a rec or 5150, get the opposite of him. i much prefer the band to have one of each in the band instead both the same.

just to throw out another line maybe an orange rockerverb.

Unless you have Mesa Marks, when you can carve that fatty EQ to sculpt around eachother

Rockerverb is another good choice. Used here to great effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgziBEoiCHY
Quote by Watterboy
Last edited by the chemist at Mar 20, 2016,
Buy an RM100 and you can have both, hell there are Rocker modules out there too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by the chemist
Unless you have Mesa Marks, when you can carve that fatty EQ to sculpt around eachother

Rockerverb is another good choice. Used here to great effect:

I have a mkiv too.

I think my favorite (of what I own) amp overall is my Rockerverb.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have a mkiv too.

I think my favorite (of what I own) amp overall is my Rockerverb.

As good as they sound (and well built), there's something about the Orange sound that doesn't work for me. I respect the sound, and it works great for every player I've seen use them, but I haven't found THE Orange amp for me yet. The RockerVerb was the closest. I find them kinda loose, if that makes sense.

Of course, I think the same all Fenders as well, but actually hate them.
Quote by Watterboy
For hardcore thrash the Peavey is probably better out the box. I'd play thrash with no Tubescreamer on the 5150, but I can't say the same for the Rec. the Rec is an awesome amp, but I would HAVE to have a TS to tighten it up.

Either way it's hard to go wrong, I'd personally use the Peavey for that though.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
You could always go for something like Peavey XXX, Ultra Plus or JSX which would could give you tone that (with the right adjustements) could get pretty close to both the Mesa and the 5150/6505. Not to mention that they're versatile as hell when needed.
Quote by the chemist
As good as they sound (and well built), there's something about the Orange sound that doesn't work for me. I respect the sound, and it works great for every player I've seen use them, but I haven't found THE Orange amp for me yet. The RockerVerb was the closest. I find them kinda loose, if that makes sense.

Of course, I think the same all Fenders as well, but actually hate them.

It might be technique too, I know what you mean, my Orange sounded loose until I tightened up my a style.

About the original question, I'd go Mesa but look into EVH III, Eddie's new amp as well.
Quote by tsc86
You could always go for something like Peavey XXX, Ultra Plus or JSX which would could give you tone that (with the right adjustements) could get pretty close to both the Mesa and the 5150/6505. Not to mention that they're versatile as hell when needed.

I'm going to agree with this. I think the Peavey XXX/3120 or a JSX would be that amp that goes between a Dual Rectifier and a 6505+.

A tubescreamer up front and an EQ in the loop can work even more wonders.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by R-T-P
I play mostly hardcore/thrash. I need a new amp for shows and I am torn between the Dual rectifier and the Peavey 6505+. Any thoughts on what you prefer?

I can't imagine any scenario where I would choose a Peavey over a Mesa.
Quote by reverb66

I guess it goes down to what kind of tone you're expecting from an amp.
Or what suits your playing better.

I could never find a Mesa that I really liked, besides Mk IIC+ maybe.
Quote by R-T-P

It depends on how tight you can play and more importantly what you mean by hardcore/thrash. For slower, less technical (but heavy) thrash you could get by with either amp and have awesome results.

But the faster and more technical you go, the 6505+ is going to be the clear winner, because it is MUCH tighter than a Dual Rec. But...if your right hand and muting techniques are on par with a robot -- you might be okay either way. Dual Recs sound HUGE and have a ton of low-end as well as high end grind -- but they are notoriously loose. Most people NEED a tubescreamer up front to tighten them up and cut some of that bass in order to hear technical , fast riffing. With a 6505+, you barely need an OD pedal, but I still prefer one. You can dial them in to be plenty tight without one. I just like the extra bite and nastiness I get with an OD up front. 6505s have a very strong midrange that cuts through the mix with ease, and still quite a bit of low-end thump.

I would think a regular 6505 or original 5150 would be the right middle ground between a DR and a 6505+. The original Peaveys sound bigger, looser, and more thumpy and angry, but are still a bit tighter than a Dual Rec.

I have my 6505+ modded to 5150 specs on the lead channel. Here's a clip I've been working on mostly to improve my mixing skills. The track kind of starts out thrashy and then goes into more of a black metal style -- but here's what the original 5150/6505 tone sounds like -- pretty tight, yet lots of low-end, grindy nastiness:

https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/mixtestriffsndrums3rdmaster
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by reverb66

Why?

Name one scenario where a Peavey couldn't do it, and very well at that.

Different amps are different. There is a reason many players here have both.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
^^Agreed. And tone is subjective. I love the aggressiveness of my 6505+, especially after modding it. I haven't played an amp yet that sounds as angry; as pissed off and gnarly as mine when I turn it up to "3" or so. Oh yes, I've played Mark Vs, all sorts of Dual Recs, Engls, etc. All of them had good tone, and lots of versatility. But at the end of the day, none of them had the aggression that I need for MY music. It's like beer -- everyone has a favorite. Doesn't mean others aren't good as well.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
^^Agreed. And tone is subjective. I love the aggressiveness of my 6505+, especially after modding it. I haven't played an amp yet that sounds as angry; as pissed off and gnarly as mine when I turn it up to "3" or so. Oh yes, I've played Mark Vs, all sorts of Dual Recs, Engls, etc. All of them had good tone, and lots of versatility. But at the end of the day, none of them had the aggression that I need for MY music. It's like beer -- everyone has a favorite. Doesn't mean others aren't good as well.

Well said, good sir.