Hey, If I wanted to sound like Metallica or Megadeth what would be good choice for guitars, pickups, strings, amps etc all that. Not to expensive though and im not a great player.
thanks.
Well give us a budget, your location and the gear you have now and we can actually help you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I live in Sweden and about 1000-1500$ and so far i only have a starter kit with a fender and a small amp called frontman 10G
It isn't cheap to sound like Metallica, give us this

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Budget is max 2000$ for the moment. (can be upgraded for more later)

I listen mostly to metallica, slayer, SOAD, judas priest, black sabbath , RHCP and nirvana so ya i like clean also.

Id rather want a new but used can also be an option yes.

I play by myself, sadly

and here in my town in sweden there is Musikkanten and 4sound
And also you can suggest stuff over my budget if that is needed thats fine. Im just curious on what a good gear is for it.
You say you play by your self?? Just about any guitar with a humbucker in the bridge will work. On the cheap a Squier 51 is not expensive plays well and can cover a lot of ground with the split bridge pickup and 3 way selector switch.
You say you are playing alone I too do not play with others so if you are looking for something that sounds good at living room levels I would suggest the Yamaha THR10X. It is designed for distorted tones.I have the original THR10 and it covers a lot of ground sounds and plays like a "real"amp.As a bonus you can use it as a interface with a pc to record.
In the end what you want form amplification and volume levels will steer suggestions for an amp.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Another suggestion i'll throw out there is to get a guitar like an LTD 1000 series with Duncans. As for the amp a Peavey 6505 combo. While that amp might not do cleans all that well it will get you a very nice metal tone. Price in total new comes out to around 1500$ but if you go used you can essentially cut that in half. I don't know what the market is like in Sweden so just take this as a guideline and adjust to what you have there.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Go to those stores in your area and try everything. then after you find what you like, come on here and the rest of the web and do a little research on the pricing in your available area and from EU online stores.

The Jet City JCA22h and the Harley benton G212vintage cab would work for what your describing and they are good and cheap at www.thomann.de

I'd probably buy a guitar locally if you have a shop that has something you like. It is always better to try a guitar before you buy if it is possible
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i have heard alot about peavey from various videos on youtube players
Fernandes guitars would also offer some good options in your price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just a quick question, is playing with headset on good? does it take away much of the sound?
Quote by anderssen
Just a quick question, is playing with headset on good? does it take away much of the sound?

If you want to mainly play through headphones, a better option might be a Line 6 POD HD (500x, ProX or Bean depending on your needs) and powered speaker. You'll find thousands of tones people have made for them online for most of the bands you suggested.
It also wouldn't break the bank (just over 500€ at Thomann).

Pair that with a versatile guitar (H/H with splits or H/S/H) (Ibanez RG series, LTD H series, Jackson SL or SLAT series, etc.) and you should be good to go.

I'd suggest running the HD500 into a good pair of monitors (I have M-Audio BX8s) and a good pair of headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50x) and you'll have an amazing sounding home and small gig setup for under 1500€.

That's what I'd do anyway :P
yeah a pod hd and some good headphones/monitors would be a great choice for home practice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would say a 6505 is too modern sounding for the tones OP is chasing.

I vote Jet City and HB212 like Robb mentioned or a Marshall DSL 40C for the amp, maybe get a TubeScreamer to boost.

As for the guitar if you are after Metallica tones you will want EMG pickups, LTD makes a lot of guitars in a lot of shapes and price ranges all with EMG's I would start by looking at those.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by CorrosionMedia
If you want to mainly play through headphones, a better option might be a Line 6 POD HD (500x, ProX or Bean depending on your needs) and powered speaker. You'll find thousands of tones people have made for them online for most of the bands you suggested.
It also wouldn't break the bank (just over 500€ at Thomann).

Pair that with a versatile guitar (H/H with splits or H/S/H) (Ibanez RG series, LTD H series, Jackson SL or SLAT series, etc.) and you should be good to go.

I'd suggest running the HD500 into a good pair of monitors (I have M-Audio BX8s) and a good pair of headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50x) and you'll have an amazing sounding home and small gig setup for under 1500€.

That's what I'd do anyway :P

So your saying I need both headset and a pair of monitors? Why is that necessary? I mean im not that guy that mics up to a amp and play full volume, that wouldnt be so good in the area i live in :P
Last edited by anderssen at Mar 22, 2016,
for what you listen too etc. I would go for an Ibanez Destroyer and a Boss Micro BR 80 or BR 800. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT520BK?adpos=1o2&creative=55280256001&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2sO3BRD49-zdzfb8iLwBEiQAFZgZfGnOMVSbRYU9RuMH-BYxyLVvek4XSY24UKcvyBRFgAAaApIB8P8HAQ

That has great pickups and hardware otu of the box and a great guitarthat can cover a lot of sounds.
My most favorite guitar at this point would be Ibanez and LTD series but im not buying a new one for a while but all these options are giving me more ideas :P.

Thanks
Quote by anderssen
im really digging this Line 6 pod hd

Added in for fun playing at home, the Pod has a 1/8" input to connect a mp3/iphone etc to jam along with songs, and with a good pair of headphones can go as loud as you want (that ringing in my ears is normal, right? ) without having the neighbors call the police! And if you ever do start to play with others or play out, you can easily connect it to a PA, amp or studio monitors.
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
Quote by Guitar137335
Also check out the ENGL ironball
http://englamps.de/index.php?id=36&tx_ddfproducts_pi1%5Buid%5D=122&iPhoneBypass=1

You can also use it with headphones.

When buying those kind of amps do I need another amp for it? Like this one http://www.thomann.de/se/marshall_dsl40c_2012.htm . Sorry im new and I dont know what you call them piece by piece. :P
Last edited by anderssen at Mar 24, 2016,
No you need a cabinet like theirs http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_1x12_guitar_cabinets.html
Or cheaper ones
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

You can get any cabinet Marshall, Orange ,etc

1x12 is the size you can also get 2x12 and 4x14
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_2x12_guitar_cabinets.html
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_4x12_guitar_cabinets.html

A Cabinet is basically the speaker where the sound comes from as the heads don't have one. But you also get combo amps which is basically a cabinet (speaker) with a head bulid in.
Also to connect the head to the cabinet you need a speaker cable not a NORMAL GUITAR JACK as you will blow your amp and maybe your house up.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/speaker_cables.html
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Mar 27, 2016,