Thinking about picking up a Charvel SoCal MIJ or Ibanez RG655 Prestige.

The Prestige is going to run me $200-$300 more than the Charvel.

I like the idea of versatility but it's not super crucial (Rock, Blues, Technical Shredding stuff, a bit of Jazz).

From what I read the Ibanez has more versatility but the Charvel has a wicked neck.

I like the idea of 24 frets but again it's not essential.

Considering maybe even just buying an american Strat... I like opinions and any information would be appreciated.

Feel free to suggest other guitars!

Thanks, george.
Prestige.

But I'm biased.

Play both? Really fucking hard to go wrong with a Prestige.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
i have four prestiges, they are some of the best affordable guitars out there now.

but i am biased too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Looks like you're going to get a whole host of biased opinions - I'm a Jackson/Charvel guy, so I'd go with the SoCal.

Either one will be a quality instrument, so you can't really go wrong. Pick the one with the features you like best.
for me charvel. been playing a charvel since the early 80's and still have it. besides, ibanez's are everywhere.

the charvel neck and the wizard neck on the ibanez are both good just different. for me i find the wizard to be a little sharp and shallow.

pick what plays and sounds best for you.
I'm also biased towards Jackson/Charvel, but in all seriousness you can't go wrong with either of them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
If I was in the market for a new prestige I would look at the RG652AHM. That's by far the best looking Prestige I've seen in years. It's HH though.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat

Either one will be a quality instrument, so you can't really go wrong. Pick the one with the features you like best.

Pretty much. they feel a bit different, but both great guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat

Yep.

Though, if you want a guitar that'll do a lot I might suggest an ESP Horizon NT-II.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm a Charvel/Jackson guy and have several MIJs spanning from 89 to 2010, I would probably get the Ibanez just to change up a bit, I've been wanting a Prestige but they are never around when I have the money to buy them.

That said you can't go wrong with either, decide which features you like the best, I do have an Ibanez and prefer the Jackson necks but that may be because I have been playing Jackson/Charvel for over 20 years and I am used to them. No complaints about the Wizard neck though!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 23, 2016,
That Prestige sadly isn't for sale anymore

My indecisiveness is causing me to miss out on some sweet deals (passed up an american strat for $750cad) - if only money weren't an issue.

I think I'm going to with the SoCal partially because they're less common and also that in the future I will probably pick up a strat anyways to diversify my sound.

Also while we're all here, I am in the market for a new distortion pedal! Trying to get something for leads or playing some Joe Satriani stuff. Thinking the DS-1 only because I don't really know a lot about what else is out there.

Opinions?
Last edited by bigeorgepetrov at Mar 23, 2016,
Quote by bigeorgepetrov
That Prestige sadly isn't for sale anymore

My indecisiveness is causing me to miss out on some sweet deals (passed up an american strat for $750cad) - if only money weren't an issue.

I think I'm going to with the SoCal partially because they're less common and also that in the future I will probably pick up a strat anyways to diversify my sound.

Also while we're all here, I am in the market for a new distortion pedal! Trying to get something for leads or playing some Joe Satriani stuff. Thinking the DS-1 only because I don't really know a lot about what else is out there.

Opinions?

What kind of amp do you have? 'Cause that a key factor when choosing the right dirt pedal.
^ Yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?