Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a second try at a wah pedal. I had a Crybaby Original and didn't like it at all - tone suck even when off, didn't sound like what I was after (it was old as shit and not one of the sought after revs so maybe a bad representation). I did sell it for a $35 profit though.

The main sounds I'm after are Death Angel, Slayer, and Exodus wahs. Here's where I am right now:

Death Angel - Rob - MXR MC404 - has 2 voicings (red and yellow), boost built in and true bypass.

Slayer and Exodus - both are Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wahs. I'd probably modify this for true bypass if it has any tone suck like the original did. If I understand correctly this is basically the Jimi Hendrix wah in a different case, maybe a different resistor value. (Holt uses a Cantrell in Slayer for a different sound from Kerry.)

Budda Budwah - heard great things about this one but never used one or talked to anyone that has for this use case.

Ibanez Wheeping Demon - again heard good things but not sure about this use case.

So basically what I'm after is a wah for thrash leads paired up with a Flashback Delay and a Floyd Rose.

I prefer mid to higher end stuff purchased used (I'm a deal hunter).

I like stuff with a fair amount of knobs and options but still user friendly (pretty hooked on TC Electronic Tone Print idea).

Tone is the most important thing for me right now.

Prefer to buy used online (Reverb, eBay, GC Used) or Craigslist (Norfolk, VA).

Budget: Not too concerned with budget. Like to keep it $100 or under used but can splurge for more if needed.

Other gear for a feel for my tastes: Mesa Roadster Dual Rec combo with V30's, Jacksons and ESP/LTD with EMG 81/60, 81/85 or Duncan Distortions/Jazz, JB/'59. Budda Zenman boost/overdrive, ISP Decimator, MXR 10-Band EQ, TC Electronic Flashback Delay (Vortex Flanger in the mail), Korg PitchBlack+ Tuner (Other pedals that aren't really used at all).

Looking for a wah to be used on the Vintage and Modern modes of the Roadster. Something that also sounds good for a Fender strat and Tweed mode would be awesome (thus the MC404 for the options again).

If I don't get any help I'll probably just buy the MC404 and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
RMC wizzard wah. spend a few more bucks, its worth it.

also have you considered morely?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just use a standard Crybaby. Always been my go-to. While I don't play death metal I do like a lot of saturation and heavy riffs.
No Bad Horsie?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Morley
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thought Kerry king used a Dunlop autowah..... But whatever....

Look at Morley though.
[
There is the Dime wah as well. Very tweakable and it has a 17 db boost as well. Might want to look into it. Getting one from my local store soon.
Bands I like: Acceptance, Ivoryline, Mae, Coheed and Cambria, Breaking Benjamin, Megadeth, Trapt, Staind, Crossfade, and of course Rush!

Guitars: Schecter 2002 Diamond Series C-1
The BBE Ben wah is one of the absolute best I've ever heard in terms of tone.

Personally, I like the Morley Bad Horise because it's switchless - no need to hit a button to turn it on. It's hard for me to use wah pedals now that have a switch, so I'd say go with the Ben Wah (if you don't mind the switch) or Bad Horsie.

Both are great options.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
I have the Ibanez myself and I like the tweak ability of it as well as the fact that you can set it to be used switch less or with a switch.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
So Morley seems to get the group vote so far. Looking at their options I'm considering the Bad Horsie 2 Contour (for the tweakability and canned setting) and the Power Wah Volume (For the volume and wah in one but have to hit a switch for the wah to activate).

Any experiences between these two for this type of music?
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
The PWA is the more vintage sounding of the two, although it isn't actually what I'd call vintage. I have a PWA and a Maverick which is a non-tweakable smaller Bad Horsie. I use quite a bit of gain these days and the Maverick does a better job of dealing with that. Plus of course, it's switchless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Honestly, the whole topic about wahs is about "meh" as far as I am concerned, especially for metal. I've used them all and they've all been okay. I have two Dunlop originals that I don't quite like and use only in recording capacity. I've gotten away with digital wah sims through my Boss GT-10 and no one has said "hey man, horrible wah tone"

I'd have to say before I moved to digital I used the Bad Horsie switchless and that was the best for live work so you won't have to hear the "click" when you activate it:
http://www.amazon.com/Morley-VAI-2-Steve-Horsie-Contour/dp/B0002D0KCS%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-ffab-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0002D0KCS

The Budda gets great reviews so I am sure that'd be very nice as well but to me the switchless is king. The GT-10 also had that property - I programmed my wah to turn on via the expression pedal so there was no click but to me that was probably the most essential feature.
I've got a Bad Horsie 2. It's pretty nice but, there's a bit of a bass cut/loss when it's on.
Quote by Dimarzio45
I've got a Bad Horsie 2. It's pretty nice but, there's a bit of a bass cut/loss when it's on.

Of course there is, a wah is a sweepable band pass filter. Anything outside that band gets cut. That's how they work.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If I didn't have a T-Rex wah, I'd have a Morley.

This is T-Rex's Gull Wah, now discontinued but replaced by the (seemingly) functionally identical but less visually flashy Shafter Wah. These demos both show a little bit of how it sounds with more drive- the first in the last 90seconds or so, the second, @2min in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovWdoIdxur4&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpebs5qPag&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a Weeping Demon I bought used for $40, it's a good wah fairly versatile but honestly I don't use a Wah very often, it does sound better the the original CryBaby I used to have.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I picked up a Morley Bad Horsie 2 off eBay last night. Hopefully this satisfies the need!

With all the recommendations and the price point I figured it would be worth it. Some of the boutique ones looked really cool but they're over budget for what I need right now.

Thanks for all the advice!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Good luck and happy thrashing!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!