Hey,
My bands gettin a show pretty soon here, figurin' I should start advertising that shit but the venue as far as I know hasn't made a poster and isn't very good at it anyhow, they always choose like viking themes but we play thrash metal.

I'm wondering about the copyright aspect though of using images on a poster, I really have no experience with drawing things so I'm gonna need to rip off from others, kinda worried though about the legality of that.

This is pretty well going to be displayed in a few windows and on the facebook page.
I guess another important piece of info would be that I live in Canada, more specifically British Columbia.

Thanks for your time reading.
..I was watching my death.
Hi dude - if you're unsure about use of other people's images in your poster design, look up "free images" in google and you'll find libraries of images that you can use without breachimg copyright.

As for manipulating pictures that are covered by copyright, it's a complex topic that can only be decided upon completion of the poster. If you think that your poster may mislead people into thinking that you are another band or company, don't use it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
In theory you should only use pictures and graphics that you have license to use, or that are not copyrighted. As far as manipulating images goes, im not sure.

In practice, tho, it doesnt even matter, because nobody is gonna loose their shit if you use a croped version of a random image or a drawing of a viking that some dude put on deviant art. If you are worried you can search for free images like alanHB said. You can also contact the artist of a particular image that you want, and if he isnt a professional artist that makes a living of it, he/she will probably give you permission to use it on a poster. But, as i said, for a few dozen, even a few hundred posters, it doesnt even matter that much. Just dont balantly copy a design and youre good.

Source: i work in a printing shop and i deal with posters every day.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Pretty much agree with everything said above. 99.99% chance no one will care. If you start making big coin as a band then that will become an issue but I would assume that would be far off in the future so not really a concern if the band is just starting out
Quote by badfish_lewis
Pretty much agree with everything said above. 99.99% chance no one will care. If you start making big coin as a band then that will become an issue but I would assume that would be far off in the future so not really a concern if the band is just starting out

This. On the incredible 0.00001% chance someone flips out worst they can actually do is get you either take the poster down or redo it; and to be honest you can probably ignore them until the show is done anyway.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I know this is a long-times-old topic, and a months old thread. But I'll add this.

If people remember your show posters your doing better than most bands. Show posters build brand recognition, in my experience. They wont notice them unless they see a s-ton of them, or they see your band's name over, and over, and over again.

For images - I agree with consensus - Use whatever you feel comfortable with.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
If anyone in your band has the interest in learning this stuff, then get GIMP and practice the shit out of making gig posters. If you can figure out how to do it and can put together something that looks fairly decent, then you'll be set for any future gig posters. It's a good skill to have when you're in a band.

Don't worry too much about copyrighted images if you're just playing small local shows. It's still copyright infringement, but no one's going to care.

You can get some cool copyright free photos on websites like Unsplash, so I'd suggest looking in to that first.
Agree with LlamaShred. GIMP is free and very useful software. You can make very good posters with it. (Example: https://www.facebook.com/Karrakan.ostroleka/photos/gm.983486735104909/1790056214560663/?type=3&theater). About copyright, what I usually do is I use my own band photos and logo for the gig posters (however, the example before is different ;P). This way I am sure I will not have any problems with copyright as this is me on the poster. (Example: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=841518139267585&set=gm.829263910489143&type=3&theater)
Whatever you do, get advertising done. I've played too many gigs where the promoter couldn't be arsed, and we ended up playing to the other bands on the bill.

If no one will do it for you, and they probably won't these day, it's always better to get stuff done DIY.