Page 1 of 3
Hey guys. I've made a couple posts here, and maybe this isn't the right site to post something like this but whatever...

Want to hear if anyone has experience dealing with mental health issues.

I've been diagnosed with ptsd and depression. I'm a three tour combat veteran of Afghanistan. I came home for the last time in 2010. I was badly wounded in action. I've been rebuilt physically and have mostly recovered from that, or at least have learned how to live with it.

I lost several buddies KIA and had to see and deal with things a lot of you probably haven't, but I'm sure this isn't the right place to discuss that, I'm just asking if anyone has experience dealing with their own issues. I have things that work for me and things that don't.

A lot of my former colleagues aren't really up for discussing our experiences.

Just looking to hear what anyone else is dealing with or if anyone can relate to some of my stuff.

Discuss if wanted
I haven't gone through the degree of trauma or loss that you have (haven't been wounded in seven deployments, knock on wood), but those of my friends and colleagues who have and have subsequently pursued therapy seem to be better for it.

The worst of those I work with do worse by keeping many things inside, self-medicating with alcohol and other drugs. A couple of them blew their heads off because of it.

There's always someone who can relate to your experiences. Despite them being uniquely depressing and having their effect on you, you aren't alone.

There are some people who just want to listen. I would try to find those people.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I haven't gone through the degree of trauma or loss that you have (haven't been wounded in seven deployments, knock on wood), but those of my friends and colleagues who have and have subsequently pursued therapy seem to be better for it.

The worst of those I work with do worse by keeping many things inside, self-medicating with alcohol and other drugs. A couple of them blew their heads off because of it.

Theirs always someone who can relate to your experiences. Despite them being uniquely depressing and having their effect on you, you aren't alone.

There are some people who just want to listen. I would try to find those people.

Thanks for the response. I have known a few guys that went out that way too. I am in therapy and it definitely does help. Just wanted a general discussion I guess, It's tough to talk about but it seems like sometimes it's the only thing I want to talk about.
I'd never ask you to discuss your work on here but it's nice to hear from someone who can relate. Truly appreciated brother. Thanks.
experience is bordering on understatement for some here
There are more than a few people here that have a depression and a few of them (including myself) have made attempts on their lives because of the severity of the depression and their situation.

This place is no stranger to mental health issues
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
experience is bordering on understatement for some here
There are more than a few people here that have a depression and a few of them (including myself) have made attempts on their lives because of the severity of the depression and their situation.

This place is no stranger to mental health issues

Thanks for response man. I didn't mean to understate anything. Hope things have turned around for you.
Sir, I don't really have anything to add on the topic, but if I can just say you seem like a real humble dude and I appreciate that. Bit of a rarity around here.
Quote by robbmgdt
Thanks for response man. I didn't mean to understate anything. Hope things have turned around for you.

They have

Quote by Joshua Garcia
Sir, I don't really have anything to add on the topic, but if I can just say you seem like a real humble dude and I appreciate that. Bit of a rarity around here.

also this, you're probably the most likeable new member we've had for a while imo.
Stick around
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Joshua Garcia

Thanks for response man. I'm just a regular guy, no need for Sir. Appreciate it
Quote by Pastafarian96
They have

also this, you're probably the most likeable new member we've had for a while imo.
Stick around

Thanks man
Quote by stratkat
I used to have extremely bad panic attacks, I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety and adhd. Sucks your buddy's were kia op.

Thanks for the response and the sentiment man.
Good to hear you're in therapy. Voluntary therapy is just about one of the best things you can do. Is your therapy right now just a one on one thing, or have you done group therapy before?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Good to hear you're in therapy. Voluntary therapy is just about one of the best things you can do. Is your therapy right now just a one on one thing, or have you done group therapy before?

Yeah thanks man. I'm doing both group and solo. Group is good especially in our cases, it's a little difficult sometimes to find guys with similar experiences (meaning combat, battle stress, all that shit that comes with it.) Lots of the guys aren't super willing to discuss or remember though, can't say that i blame them. Thanks for response
Quote by The_Blode
^ my consellor is suggesting that instead of thinking negatively...try and think positively...and if you struggle to think positively...use like affirmation cards...like positive affirmation cards...my brother does it with inspirational quotes and that stuff...but yeah, not sure if that will work for you..but it works for me...and also, I'm into karma and what not so that gives me some peace...

Hey thanks for response man. Not sure i can totally relate to what you're saying but appreciate it
I know nothing about ptsd and not too much about depression.

However, I can't stress how good this book is:
http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meaning-Viktor-Frankl/dp/080701429X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458653254&sr=8-1&keywords=frankl

It was written by a psychologist as he was stuck in nazi concentration camps. It's about finding meaning to life even in a traumatic and hellish situation (he uses concentration camps as an example but everyone has their own trauma and it's applicable to everything.

It's a very easy read, it's short and it's 7$. I strongly suggest you get your hands on it
Quote by flexiblemile
I know nothing about ptsd and not too much about depression.

However, I can't stress how good this book is:
http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meaning-Viktor-Frankl/dp/080701429X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458653254&sr=8-1&keywords=frankl

It was written by a psychologist as he was stuck in nazi concentration camps. It's about finding meaning to life even in a traumatic and hellish situation (he uses concentration camps as an example but everyone has their own trauma and it's applicable to everything.

It's a very easy read, it's short and it's 7$. I strongly suggest you get your hands on it

Hey man thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.
Never had something as severe as getting personally injured or losing people very close to me, but I do understand. I tend not to talk about specifics, others have gone through worse and achieved better.

Eh, I don't know how to deal with it. I'm still trying to quit drinking and I've stopped using drugs. My hope lies with a therapist. You already have that.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Never had something as severe as getting personally injured or losing people very close to me, but I do understand. I tend not to talk about specifics, others have gone through worse and achieved better.

Eh, I don't know how to deal with it. I'm still trying to quit drinking and I've stopped using drugs. My hope lies with a therapist. You already have that.

Thanks for the comment. I hear you on specifics, it can be tough to discuss especially with those who can't relate to your experiences.

And for sure, others have gone through, and are going through worse.
Glad to hear you're getting help. Like others, I knew a few that didn't, and still worry about a few more.
Quote by Rossenrot
Glad to hear you're getting help. Like others, I knew a few that didn't, and still worry about a few more.

thanks man
Quote by The_Blode
^ I mean yeah...I read a lot of depression stories on here...a lot of depressed guys on here...it's kinda sad reading tbh...but don't feel depressed...just found something that makes you happy....a hobby, a lover, the guitar...music a certain job whatever

Hmm, yeah I kinda get you. Mines not really a case of just feeling sad though. Mines more to do with trying to come to terms with things I've seen, things that I've had to do. It was my job to see and do these things though so it's something that I accept and to be honest, if needed i would go through again. Its not really as simple as "don't feel depressed". I hear you though man.
Quote by robbmgdt
Thanks for the comment. I hear you on specifics, it can be tough to discuss especially with those who can't relate to your experiences.

And for sure, others have gone through, and are going through worse.

Yeah, and it either results in pity or that kinda sympathy where you just suddenly feel alien. I imagine it'd be more fruitful to discuss it with someone who's an equal, like a spouse or someone who's gone through the same.

But again, you have a therapist and there's no advice I could give that'll trump their expert opinion haha
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah, and it either results in pity or that kinda sympathy where you just suddenly feel alien. I imagine it'd be more fruitful to discuss it with someone who's an equal, like a spouse or someone who's gone through the same.

But again, you have a therapist and there's no advice I could give that'll trump their expert opinion haha

For real, and discussing combat experience with a dude that works in an office would typically illicit a call of duty reference or some shit. Nothing wrong with office jobs, not what i mean, i work one now, and I am hesitant to discuss that stuff with anyone, anyway.

Sometimes the best therapy is just a beer with buddies anyway.
Quote by robbmgdt
For real, and discussing combat experience with a dude that works in an office would typically illicit a call of duty reference or some shit. Nothing wrong with office jobs, not what i mean, i work one now, and I am hesitant to discuss that stuff with anyone, anyway.

Jeez. I've never been in your situation and likely never will be, but even as a gamer I can say that I would straight up punch someone who compared military service I've done to Call of Duty. Fucking hell.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

I was lucky enough to never have to struggle with it. I never knew anyone that I worked on, which were entirely third party nationals. Left a few uniforms overseas to be burned, but then again, many medics do. They do a good job training medics and giving them realistic expectations.
Quote by JustRooster
I was lucky enough to never have to struggle with it. I never knew anyone that I worked on, which were entirely third party nationals. Left a few uniforms overseas to be burned, but then again, many medics do. They do a good job training medics and giving them realistic expectations.

Brother I can't thank you enough for what you do/did. Not to get specific with it but the day i was hit, we were short in squad and rotated a combat medic in who actually stacked on with us. Would normally be a big no-no for us, but that guy literally saved my life. Nothing but respect for you man.
Quote by robbmgdt

I've gotten that exact reference and I've never even been a soldier. Although to be fair, this was an 18 y/o teenager.

Word.
I'm a bit fucked in the head too

Being emotionally unstable hmu

That sounds a little insincere, I'm sorry. A few of us here in the pit struggle with mental issues, you're in good company here mate, if you ever need to talk about stuff anonymously then this is a pretty good place to do so. The "can't say it" thread is good if you need to vent, people here are generally pretty cool when they're not shit posting
Last edited by Bladez22 at Mar 22, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I've gotten that exact reference and I've never even been a soldier. Although to be fair, this was an 18 y/o teenager.

Word.

The world is full of interesting characters man. For real I had a guy ask me if i knew any of the guys in the movie The Hurt Locker.
Quote by Bladez22
I'm a bit fucked in the head too

Being emotionally unstable hmu

That sounds a little insincere, I'm sorry. A few of us here in the pit struggle with mental issues, you're in good company here mate, if you ever need to talk about stuff anonymously then this is a pretty good place to do so. The "can't say it" thread is good if you need to vent, people here are generally pretty cool when they're not shit posting

No worries man, all good. Thanks for the tip.
Thanks for all the comments guys. Appreciated. Seems to me to be a bit tactless on my part to keep discussing my issues and what caused them in the wake of what has happened in Brussels today. No more responses needed. Thanks guys
Don't have much to say but I genuinely hope you're doing well
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by The_Blode
^ how ate you basing mental issues on a forum? Taking about openly taking about it or what they write? I know several who don't Arby slaps Orson, Seventh Angel, Dreadnought, Blade Slinger, Chris m etc

Sorry bud but I don't understand what you're saying
Quote by robbmgdt

he rambles sometimes, don't think too much of it
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by robbmgdt

Yeah, that was a bit cryptic. My translation is as follows: "How are you determining who has mental issues on a forum? Is it from them openly talking about it or by what they write? I know several who don't appear to have these issues, such as Arby, slaps, Orson, Seventh Angel, Dreadnought, Blade Slinger, Chris m, etc."

Of course there is the potential that I'm not even close, so take it for what it's worth.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have had problems with major depressive disorder for as long as I can remember. Going back as far as when I was 5 years old, I was extremely angry and self-critical with my inability to articulate my speech properly. And since then the self-criticism has simply moved on to other areas of my ineptitude. I sometimes wonder if all people feel exactly the same way, but just somehow cope with it better in some mysterious way. It's hard to know because this is all I've ever known. Anything different seems abstract.

UG is full of people with mental health issues. With a community of pretty devout music fans, most of which being in their 20's and are therefore undergoing stages in their lives that are full of uncertainty, it just comes with the territory.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 22, 2016,
Page 1 of 3