I have a Blues JR. III. five tubes, three preamp V1, V2, V3 and two output tubes V4, V5

Current V1-V3 are stock Fender Groove Tubes, 12SX7's. V4-V5 are Stock EL84-s Groove Tubes

My V5 EL84 crapped out and i need to replace them. I know i need to get a matched pair so I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations before i order these this morning.

I know Fender uses Groove Tubes which i believe are Sovtek tubes rebranded. I was thinking of replacing them with either JJ's or Electro Harmonix?

I play classic rock (AC/DC, Neil Young, Tom Petty etc)

I believe most of the tone comes from the preamp tubes, especially V1 so im not sure how big a difference the EL84's would make anyway.

Any preferences, recommendations or bad experiences? Thanks!!
JJ EL84's. For new production Preamps, I like: Tungsol V1, JJ V2, Sovtek 12AX7LPS V3. I would not recommend anything EHX, GT, Ruby, or Sovtek, except for the LPS. Most of that is not from experience, though, just word of mouth. But I have played on a good amount of amps with those tubes stock, always thought "meh okay", and the amps I have are upgraded from those brands.

Not sure how well the Blues Jr. is doing AC/DC. You may have some magic settings, magic fingers, and/or magic pedals but I definitely think Marshall for those kind of tones.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 22, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
JJ EL84's. For new production Preamps, I like: Tungsol V1, JJ V2, Sovtek 12AX7LPS V3. I would not recommend anything EHX, GT, Ruby, or Sovtek, except for the LPS. Most of that is not from experience, though, just word of mouth. But I have played on a good amount of amps with those tubes stock, always thought "meh okay", and the amps I have are upgraded from those brands.

Not sure how well the Blues Jr. is doing AC/DC. You may have some magic settings, magic fingers, and/or magic pedals but I definitely think Marshall for those kind of tones.

Thanks Will!

I have settled i think on the JJ's for the power tubes. Still thinking about preamp tubes. But i think i will have to have it re-biased now won't i?

For playing AC/DC i use the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret foundation pedal. It gives that early Marshall Plexi sound. Run that pedal through a clean Fender and its the next nest thing to a Marshall stack. You can get that sound even at low volumes, just an awesome pedal.
The Blues Jr. is cathode biased, non-adjustable. So you just put the tubes in and that is it. Some people have modded their amps so that you can adjust the bias but I would not worry about that.
Thanks boys, ended up putting in JJ's and very happy with them. Going to drop off blues jr to a tech next week and he is going to put in some BillM type mods and will attempt to adjust the bias.

Thanks again for the recommendations!