I'm straight and I think straight people should feel welcome in gay bars
49 75%
I'm gay and I think straight people should avoid gay bars
2 3%
I'm gay and I think straight people should feel welcome in gay bars
3 5%
Voters: 65.
Page 1 of 3
A (gay) friend of mine just shared this piece, and I have to admit, I'd never really given the issue much thought.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/08/why-do-straight-women-behave-so-horribly-in-gay-bars/

(best to watch the video)

His comment on the article was:

I don't like this one. We as a LGBTQ community want to be welcomed into this world but want to ask the straight ppl not to come to our world.

What do you think? Should straight people avoid gay bars?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
I went to a gay bar once. Got drinks bought for me, realized what it was, apologized and walked out. I didn't want to seem like I was there to try and get free drinks with no possibility of anything happening later. That's what vapid chicks do.
I don't like this poll's choices and abstain.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Quote by tateandlyle
as long as you rip it off at the door i guess idk

but that's a very important thing to have at a gay bar
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
I went to a gay tapas bar in Madrid once. I didn't realise what it was until the waiter asked me if I had a boyfriend. That was awkward.
I don't really get why any straight person would even want to go in a gay bar, so they should avoid them

And the gays should avoid regular bars hahahaha
I have nothing important to say
Not even read the article yet. My gut response is fuck no. Stop supplementing the divide between straight and gay. The LGBT community has suffered quite a bit, and I'm absolutely sympathetic to this kind of resentment towards straight people (even if I disagree with it, I still experience it), but the idea that my straight lady friends wouldn't come with me to a gay bar out of solidarity or some shit is convoluted garbage.
It's a bar. They serve drinks. The common makeup of the clientele isn't material to whether I want a drink or not. It's not like there's a sign on the door advertising the sexual preferences of the majority of the customers...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
It's a bar. They serve drinks. The common makeup of the clientele isn't material to whether I want a drink or not. It's not like there's a sign on the door advertising the sexual preferences of the majority of the customers...

Over here in Perth we have gay bar called The Court and they make it fairly clear as to what the sexual preference of it's clientele is.
I'm straight and I go to a gay club all the time and I never felt uncomfortable with it and I don't think the gay community felt uncomfortable by a group of 4 straight people in there.

Also, treating other people equally is the way to go and so on and so forth.
Quote by DardySon
Over here in Perth we have gay bar called The Court and they make it fairly clear as to what the sexual preference of it's clientele is.

How do they "make it clear"? Would a person not from the area know if they drove by?

I know of a few bars in the area that are allegedly "gay bars" but I'm damned if I could tell how anyone would know that from looking at the front door.
Charles Darwin
Alright I watched the video and yeah I agree. The idea of a straight person frequenting a gay bar alone is just odd. It's not that they're unwelcome, it's about your motives and how easy it is for you to do this. Don't kick people out, but a sign like that Pony one or whatever: know that it's a gay bar, and a lot of your reservations shouldn't reflect on the place (which from your presence alone is unavoidable).
Quote by Arby911
How do they "make it clear"? Would a person not from the area know if they drove by?

I know of a few bars in the area that are allegedly "gay bars" but I'm damned if I could tell how anyone would know that from looking at the front door.

I asked directions at a gay bar once. It was uh, pretty obvious.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by seanlang01
I asked directions at a gay bar once. It was uh, pretty obvious.

Before or after you went inside?

FWIW, I've been told that during off-peak hours gay bars are almost exactly like straight bars, just a few sad drunk guys sitting around.
Charles Darwin
My first time at a gay bar was great. Makes you realise how lame straight people are
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
as a nonstraight person, I think straight people should not avoid queer bars UNLESS:

- there is an event with limited space left (should prioritize queer attendees)
- they bring a giant posse (10+) of straight folk (giant groups are already obnoxious in a bar setting in the first place)

it's great that we live in a setting where some straight people prefer gay bars - it's the mark of an interesting cultural shift, and if there is space for them, I don't see the problem.

we had a similar dilemma at my university once.
a friend of mine was performing the natl anthem at the school's annual drag show and I offered to ask my friend in our military corps of cadets color guard if they would be interested in participating in a flag ceremony before the performance. the guys were excited to participate and got permissions from their superiors. right before the show, my performer friend gets an email from the event coordinator saying that bringing in the corps into the event would go against keeping the show a safe space. both my friend and I thought that was total bullshit, considering that no one was forcing these guys to participate and they had put a lot of effort into showing support by performing in the opening act, they should not have been threatening in any way: it is discriminatory to turn away supporters merely because of their military participation.
it is not as if a bunch of loud, heckling cadets stormed into the show, and that's how they were being treated. eventually, the situation was resolved and the color guard did their thing and stayed through the whole show and the audience loved it. so that coordinator person can go stuff it.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
as a nonstraight person, I think straight people should not avoid queer bars UNLESS:

- they bring a giant posse (10+) of straight folk (giant groups are already obnoxious in a bar setting in the first place)

it's great that we live in a setting where some straight people prefer gay bars - it's the mark of an interesting cultural shift, and if there is space for them, I don't see the problem.

a friend of mine was performing the natl anthem at the school's annual drag show and I offered to ask my friend in our military corps of cadets color guard if they would be interested in participating in a flag ceremony before the performance. the guys were excited to participate and got permissions from their superiors. right before the show, my performer friend gets an email from the event coordinator saying that bringing in the corps into the event would go against keeping the show a safe space. both my friend and I thought that was total bullshit, considering that no one was forcing these guys to participate and they had put a lot of effort into showing support by performing in the opening act, they should not have been threatening in any way: it is discriminatory to turn away supporters merely because of their military participation.
it is not as if a bunch of loud, heckling cadets stormed into the show, and that's how they were being treated. eventually, the situation was resolved and the color guard did their thing and stayed through the whole show and the audience loved it. so that coordinator person can go stuff it.

I always wear the top half of an Abraham Lincoln costume at the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I tried to get into gay bar once but i couldnt find the door. Nobody told me the entrance was in the back
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
I've been in gay bars around here loads of times (one quite frequently because its open until like 6am when everywhere else closes at 3-3:30), and it's never been a problem for anyone. The people there are always spot on and if they happen to ask whether or not I'm gay, I tell them no and theres no issue.

Asking straight people to avoid gay bars while demanding that gay people be accepted is just a silly double standard.

Quote by vintage x metal

But I do also agree with this
yea it's fine if they enter

just don't flood the place because you like the novelty of hanging around gay people (pretty much looking at straight women in male bars here, I've never got the impression that it is a big deal in primarily female bars)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by SMH07
I've been in gay bars around here loads of times (one quite frequently because its open until like 6am when everywhere else closes at 3-3:30), and it's never been a problem for anyone. The people there are always spot on and if they happen to ask whether or not I'm gay, I tell them no and theres no issue.

yeah straight people go to gay bars all the time in manchester. sometimes if you're not gay looking they don't let you in though
Quote by Arby911

The LGBT flag that they have flying above the door and the rainbow lighting they shine onto the front of the building.
So how does one get caught for going to the bar of incorrect sexual preference??
I've been to several gay on hetero bars and none of them forced me to have sex to prove my sexuality.

What like if u get caught u have to leave??

"Bartender! I saw that guy licking a vag! Kick him out he's not one of us!"
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Mar 22, 2016,
Sort of like "urban campers," waltzing in and treating someone's life as entertainment and novelty. I say it depends on motives.
Quote by Arby911
Before or after you went inside?

FWIW, I've been told that during off-peak hours gay bars are almost exactly like straight bars, just a few sad drunk guys sitting around.
After but I should have known before haha, and yes they are.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
i've been to gay bars in toronto with my cousin a few times. i enjoyed myself tbh and i see no reason why straight people shouldn't be allowed there. it's a plainly ridiculous idea.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by DardySon
The LGBT flag that they have flying above the door and the rainbow lighting they shine onto the front of the building.

That'll do it!
Charles Darwin
Quote by vintage x metal

I agree. Gays should also not avoid straight bars unless they bring a giant posse (10+ gays). We don't need all those gays mucking up the straight vibes in there.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
I agree. Gays should also not avoid straight bars unless they bring a giant posse (10+ gays). We don't need all those gays mucking up the straight vibes in there.

that would be fair if there weren't ~50x as many straight bars as gay bars (~1400 out of 66,600 in the US)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I don't think they should be like banned from them, but I would say it's pretty stupid for straight people to go to gay bars, unless it's with a gay friend.
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
Page 1 of 3