Basically yes. But it's not as easy as selecting a preset for that tone. The guitar and the amp affect the sound. So it can be a job dialing in a tone that is a match.
so if you have a orange crush 35 rt amp and a fender stratocaster starcaster with fat 50's pickups. would any tones from the pod hd500x sound good with that?
No. As previously said you would have to dial the sound in specifically to work with your guitar and amp. I've found with the Line 6 pedals it often sounds bad when you first plug it in, but don't get discouraged it just takes awhile to dial in.
Quote by cocobeanxx13
so if you have a orange crush 35 rt amp and a fender stratocaster starcaster with fat 50's pickups. would any tones from the pod hd500x sound good with that?

Only pretty much the tones that work with that kind of single coil guitar. You might be able to fake some of the higher gain tones with a processor better than not but it still be not optimal.
Quote by cocobeanxx13
Since you are trying to emulate other band's tone, it is important that your amp have some pretty good clean settings. This makes it easier to work with the multifx in dialing in different distortions.
The HD PODs are really meant for FRFR systems not guitar amps and guitar speakers. It will take some serious playing around to adjust for the coloration the amp and speakers will add to the amp/cab simulations already there. I have the HD500 BTW and I use Studio Monitors at home.
Moving on.....
Yeah, it was really meant for plugging directly into a PA. If you want to go into an amp, try the M13 (effects only). Basically, you don't want an amp model then go into a real amp- way too much filtering there, and the HD500 (I owned one for 5 years) hates being in front of an guitar amp. It is much better into an FR system. You have to build the idea of what a guitar rig is from the ground up.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Full Response Flat Range
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
or buy a FRFR self powered speaker to run your Pod HD500X from and skip the whole "guitar amp" deal all together