Ok so I have just finished audio engineering courses and bought a couple of things off kijiji for super cheap. They work well.

Here are some things I'm wondering about. I would like to set up a Mackie PROFX12 to record on my PC. I have an MBox Mini as well. I understand that the mixer doesn't have any kind of straight input for Pro Tools (works with cubase to record with), so I wanted to run it through the MBox. Do I just take the main out's to the MBox line in's? It sounds like the only real way to do this set up. What I'm most concerned with is the latency because the mixer has some really bad latency issues in cubase.

Also I have a Fender Frontman 212R. What would you guys think of micing the amp and running the preout at the same time? Do you think it would be too muddy? I understand that you would have a completely different tone using the pre out. I just don't want to buy another 1/4 cable just for that if the experiment isn't worth my time.

Lastly, does anyone know if this mixer has any fader control capabilities in PT?

I haven't set anything up yet so I was curious to find out some answers before I start.
Quote by krisis99
Pro Tools
Any reason you use pro tools instead of any other DAW like reaper, studio one, logic, reason and so on apart from the fact that they've probably told you it's the "industry standard" at the audio engineering course you attended?
Quote by krisis99
Do I just take the main out's to the MBox line in's?
Yes.
Quote by krisis99
What I'm most concerned with is the latency because the mixer has some really bad latency issues in cubase.
Latency depends on the computer's processing power, the data interface (usb, firewire, ...) and the drivers.
The main outs on the mixer are analog so that won't introduce any latency.
If the MBox also introduces too much latency, your drivers are up to date, and you have properly set up the i/o buffer size, then you need a more powerful processor.
Quote by krisis99
What would you guys think of micing the amp and running the preout at the same time?
I think you can't do that easily, and the resulting sound won't justify the hassle.
Quote by krisis99
Do you think it would be too muddy? I understand that you would have a completely different tone using the pre out. I just don't want to buy another 1/4 cable just for that if the experiment isn't worth my time.
The amp doesn't sound much good and that wouldn't make it sound any better.
To do what you're planning you also need a 1TS to 2TS cable, or, if you want to do it properly, a splitter box, connecting the pre out to something would cut the sound going to the power amp, so you won't get any sound from the speaker.
Quote by krisis99
Lastly, does anyone know if this mixer has any fader control capabilities in PT?
No, you can't.
You can't control anything with these faders apart from the mixer.
Quote by krisis99
I haven't set anything up yet so I was curious to find out some answers before I start.
Consider switching to something that's not pro fools.
Ahem, pro tools.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you have a working driver for the Mackie in Cubase, then most likely you'll have working driver in Pro Fools.

Sounds to me like this is one of the cheapie mixers with usb out on the 2 bus, so you get stereo out basically. These for the most part are made for bands that want to record a quick rehearsal and that's about it, so I'd probably use it as analog hub for switching and use the Mbox for your audio interface.

Now, it depends what you want to do with the mixer and if it makes any sense at all to use one. Most of the new interfaces would have enough options to route signal, especially for a lone bedroom recording ranger like most of us, so a mixer is usually not needed. In my case I have 3 mixers gathering dust and they get very rare use when say I want to record my amplified or mic signal but don't want to print reverb and delay, so I feed my outboard fx on the mixer aux and track from the mixer insert points. This usually happens when I have large track count and latency becomes an issue, for shorter track count I use the fx in my DAW to monitor in realtime, at about 8ms of latency things fall apart though so that's when the mixer comes in handy for the effects.

As far as you tracking, probably best course of action is to get a DI box, track the clean signal ass "safety track" and then track your mic signal. If the amp is shoddy, maybe just forego the amp and try software amp emulation.