Hi guys and gals. Just after a bit of direction. I have been playing guitar on and off for the last 15 years. Just lately I have this desire to get back into it full time, and learn everything I can. I have taught myself over the years from tab and a bit by ear, and as a result am lacking a lot of the fundamental skills and also don't have a great grip on the theory side. Going to a teacher is not an option where I live and I honestly cant afford it. Can anyone suggest any book series or internet sites that I cant start at the basics and work my way through to be an advanced player that can not only just play but also understand what I am playing. My long term goal would actually to be able to pass this information onto others through lessons. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest a number of things.

A good video is Howard Goodall's series titled How Music Works.

Learn about scale construction, chord construction and harmonizing scales.

Read The Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles by Dominic Pedler. Digest it slowly. Any theory ideas that you don't understand then google them or come and ask here.

There are a lot of sites and there are errors all over the place even though the rest of the info on the site might be fantastic. To avoid this then make sure you cast a wide net. Cross reference your sources. Read about something in once place, and then another, discuss it with friends, look for those ideas in songs and most importantly play it on your instrument.

Also take ear training seriously.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
Learn about scale construction, chord construction and harmonizing scales.

I think TS should also learn about intervals and how all of that is pretty much based on intervals.

Quote by 20Tigers
Also take ear training seriously.

Yes, this absolutely. Learn a bunch of songs by ear. If that's too difficult, learn a bunch of songs anyway. It's the best way to get a grasp on techniques and songwriting ideas you're likely to use.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by dganley1982
Hi guys and gals. Just after a bit of direction. I have been playing guitar on and off for the last 15 years. Just lately I have this desire to get back into it full time, and learn everything I can. I have taught myself over the years from tab and a bit by ear, and as a result am lacking a lot of the fundamental skills and also don't have a great grip on the theory side. Going to a teacher is not an option where I live and I honestly cant afford it. Can anyone suggest any book series or internet sites that I cant start at the basics and work my way through to be an advanced player that can not only just play but also understand what I am playing. My long term goal would actually to be able to pass this information onto others through lessons. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know there are a ton of guys teaching on You Tube for free. Pebber Brown, and a guy Wasserman I think, come to mind. You just have to dig in with them and understand it.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Kevätuhri
I think TS should also learn about intervals and how all of that is pretty much based on intervals.
Yes, intervals are where it all starts!
A note is not music.
Put it with another note, and you have the beginnings of music.

Interval terminology is where scale and chord terminology comes from
Quote by Kevätuhri

Learn a bunch of songs by ear. If that's too difficult, learn a bunch of songs anyway. It's the best way to get a grasp on techniques and songwriting ideas you're likely to use.
I agree with this too.
Ear training and theory are all very well, but you learn both best by learning songs.
You hear intervals in meaningful contexts, and you hear theory in practice.
Quote by dganley1982
Notwithstanding the practical angle I mentioned above, there are some great theory sites out there. These are my favourites:
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm
http://www.teoria.com/en/tutorials/
Go through them systematically in order, and try all of them - what's not clear on one might be clearer on another. (When sources agree on something, you can be reasonably sure that's correct info.)

If you want something more guitar-friendly (and still reliable and easy to follow) it will probably have to be a book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEONARD-GUITAR-METHOD-MUSIC-THEORY/dp/063406651X
I'm sure there are good youtube lessons, but the ones I've seen are fragmentary (addressing narrow topics), or poorly presented. Hard to find a complete structured course from the basics on up, and well taught. (If anyone knows of such a series on youtube let me know .)

There is also this series of stickies on (ahem) a rival site (written by a guitarist):
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/music-theory-made-simple-0-index-toc.1371119/

Don't forget to play it all on the guitar as you go! Theory makes no sense unless you know how it sounds.
Last edited by jongtr at Mar 24, 2016,