Hello there,

Fairly new to the forum, I am looking for some help with my pedal-board setup and amp configuration.

In the Front of the Amp:
Epiphone w/ Seymor Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker --> DigiTech Mosaic --> EHX Soul Food Overdrive --> Mooer Compressor --> Amp

In the FX Loop:
Send --> Keeley 30ms Double Tracker --> EHX Electric Mistress Deluxe --> EHX Super Pulsar Tremelo --> Alter Ego x4 Delay --> DigiTech Polara Reverb --> Receive

Amp Info:

Marshall DSL100H w/ Marshall MX412A Cabinet
Head has 4 JJ EL34 Power Tubes and 4 Tung Sol 12AX7 Pre-Amp Tubes

My Questions are...

1) For my pedals going into the FX Loop, other than the Keeley 30ms all of the pedals are stereo. I would really like to use each of these to their full stereo potential, but I don't have the means or the justification right now to buy another head and cabinet. Would the following setup running stereo patches throughout, but a mono input and output in the chain for the fx loop give an improved/different sound to the effects?

Send --(1 cable)--> Keeley 30ms Double Tracker --(1 cable)--> EHX Electric Mistress Deluxe --(2 cables)--> EHX Super Pulsar Tremelo --(2 cables)--> Alter Ego x4 Delay --(2 cables)--> DigiTech Polara Reverb --(1 cable)--> Receive

2) My Marshall I bought a while ago when I first joined a band that was more alternative and hard indie rock, which sounded great at the time, but the band I started more recently is more progressive and light rock with influence from jazz, so I really want what I play to shine alongside the other guitarists Fender Blues Deluxe Amp. What are all the options for making my Marshall sound as clean as possible? I am open to really any suggestions I am pretty handy and if I couldn't do something I know guitar techs that would for cheap.

Thanks for the help!
Nice rig!

1) Adding a second set of patch cables with a mono amp isn't going to add anything. You might consider buying a cheap high headroom solid state combo amp to run the 'wet' stereo signal out to (i.e., run the "B" output from the Polara to the input or effects return of the SS amp). Doing this, you'd get the preamp sound from your Marshall and all the effects, just amplified for stereo effect through the other amp. Generally works pretty well, especially if you keep it clean.

The 30ms is also stereo capable with a TRS cable. Definitely use this feature if you get a second amp.

2) Try changing out the preamp tubes (V1 and probably V2, check schematics for the ones used by the clean channel) for something with less gain, probably a 12AT7. If the power tubes are old I'd think about new ones, and get 'high headroom' tested tubes (Tubedepot and other good online dealers offer such options). Biasing may help too, if you're in the very cold or very hot range. Really though there isn't a ton you're going to be able to do, I wouldn't expect miracles from any of those steps. If your amp isn't clean enough for you, it usually means you need a different amp. On the other hand you should have plenty of headroom so I assume it's more of a tonal issue than actual clean volume.
have you tried those analogue EHX pedals in front of your amp? I only say because some analogue pedals don't like being in loops, weird things can happen like volume drops etc.. would be worth trying them in front of your amp just to be sure they sound as good in your loop.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@Roc8995 thanks a lot for the input that all really helped in my decision making process. For now I'm going to go without stereo for a while until I can do as you suggested and find a solid state that fits the budget. I switched out the tubes in the pre-amp to try and gain some clarity but of course whatever comes out of a Marshall is just going to sound like it's coming out of a Marshall. Always regretted buying this amp since I was pretty much forced into it due to my own ignorance and willingness to trust an old band member who's ignorance was ignorant of itself, I am going to try and sell it for what I can get and put it towards a Vox ac30 or 68 Fender Deluxe Reverb.

@Dave_Mc I used to have everything running through the front and slowly I kept moving time based pedals to the loop. Funny you say that though because last night at practice something was definitely not sounding right for me from the Mistress, I think that may help a lot
yeah i mean i'm not saying they definitely won't work in the loop (I have a tonerider analogue chorus which was absolutely fine when i used to have it in the loop), but some analogue pedals don't like it so it's worth trying the electric mistress in front if it's acting a little weird.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Roc8995
Try changing out the preamp tubes (V1 and probably V2, check schematics for the ones used by the clean channel) for something with less gain, probably a 12AT7. If the power tubes are old I'd think about new ones, and get 'high headroom' tested tubes (Tubedepot and other good online dealers offer such options). Biasing may help too, if you're in the very cold or very hot range. Really though there isn't a ton you're going to be able to do, I wouldn't expect miracles from any of those steps. If your amp isn't clean enough for you, it usually means you need a different amp. On the other hand you should have plenty of headroom so I assume it's more of a tonal issue than actual clean volume.
I think Tubedepot only offers "high gain" options, which is not the same as high-headroom I don't think. I asked about high-headroom tubes a while back for somewhat the same purpose.

As far as getting the Marshall to clean up, keep the preamp gain low and master volume to taste. Out of a VOX and Fender, I would choose Fender for Jazz.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 24, 2016,
They may not be listed on the site dropdown but I am fairly certain I was able to call and request high headroom tubes from Tube Depot. It may have been another site, it's been a while. Either way, it's definitely something most dealers can do if you ask.

If they're already testing the tubes to sort for 'high gain' tubes, then they also know which ones fall at the other end of the spectrum.
A change of preamp tubes can help. Most of the Tube e-tailers that get recommended on these forums are great at helping you pick out what you need and they don't just try to upsell you on expensive items. I think you can call, you can definitely email, and ask for help. They want to help, a happy customer is a repeating customer.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify