Something happened at work that baffles me but again I was never in the military. We had an employee that basically had a nervous break-down, and felt like he couldn't handle that job after working here for 6-months. Keep in mind this guy was in the military, boot camp but don't think he went to war. But from what I hear about boot camp this place has to be a walk in the park.

Thoughts?
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
people are different
some people are affected more by different things
therefore people are prone to very different reactions to very different things for very different reasons
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Sometimes what's meaningless to you is overwhelming to someone else. It's almost as if we aren't all the same...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
What makes you think the boot camp has to do with it? Maybe he left the military for similar reasons. Some people unfortunately have physiological problems like that.
A lot of military folks really struggle to adjust to civilian life. It just works differently. With that in mind, a lot of little things can make for one big thing.

Or it could be something totally irrelevant no?
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by MeTallIcA313
What makes you think the boot camp has to do with it? Maybe he left the military for similar reasons. Some people unfortunately have physiological problems like that.

He said he did his tour of 4-years.
Quote by Banjocal
A lot of military folks really struggle to adjust to civilian life. It just works differently. With that in mind, a lot of little things can make for one big thing.

Or it could be something totally irrelevant no?

Don't know. I do know he took 10x's longer than anyone in the office just to read backup logs and make a list of successful and failed backups. He was known to stay as late as 9pm doing that when the guy who is NOT technical can do it in 1hr.
so what exactly is confusing you?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
so what exactly is confusing you?

I do not understand the question.
Quote by fingerguy
Don't know. I do know he took 10x's longer than anyone in the office just to read backup logs and make a list of successful and failed backups. He was known to stay as late as 9pm doing that when the guy who is NOT technical can do it in 1hr.

So basically you're saying a guy who is clearly crap at his job and stressed af isn't happy with his job.

I'd never see that coming.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
what about an ex-military guy having some issues, emotional or otherwise, is puzzeling you?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by slapsymcdougal
So basically you're saying a guy who is clearly crap at his job and stressed af isn't happy with his job.

I'd never see that coming.

Well he did say he went to school to be a gun smith after the military. I told him to move out of CT and to some state where you can shoot whatever you want do what you paid to do. Maybe he finally took my advice.
Quote by fingerguy
Well he did say he went to school to be a gun smith after the military. I told him to move out of CT and to some state where you can shoot whatever you want do what you paid to do. Maybe he finally took my advice.

maybe

i guess we'll never know
it's all coming back

Quote by Arby911
It's almost as if we aren't all the same...

Nonsense! We're all exactly alike, with the same thoughts on every matter.
Quote by ultimate-slash

I agree...
Charles Darwin
Quote by ultimate-slash

Yeah, erryone knows that guiz actually hates slash with all the contempt in the world.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
Yeah, erryone knows that guiz actually hates slash with all the contempt in the world.

Oh man, you're gonna be so sorry you said that, what with guizar being a supermod in disguise!
lol supermods don't do anything

daisyupto.jpg
it's all coming back

Quote by fingerguy
Something happened at work that baffles me but again I was never in the military. We had an employee that basically had a nervous break-down, and felt like he couldn't handle that job after working here for 6-months. Keep in mind this guy was in the military, boot camp but don't think he went to war. But from what I hear about boot camp this place has to be a walk in the park.

Thoughts?

As a military brat, let me offer my opinion.

The whole purpose of basic is to break you. To take your mind, your personality, basically your entire being, and make you into a a mere vessel to perform whatever task you are handed, with absolute, sometimes blind, loyalty and obedience. Don't let those bullshit goarmy commercials fool you, it's not all obstacle courses and push-ups, there's alot psychology involved.

That being said, combat veterans or not, many soldiers simply cannot function outside of the military after discharge. It has become a part of them, and they just can't handle civilian life.

This is part of the reason my Grandpa made me promise to not go into the service. The army, or really the government, owns you. They break you and force you into the mold that they want you to fit. Once you put that uniform on, it is damn hard to take it off. Which may very well have been your coworkers proverbial cross to bear.

It is sad, really. I know many a veteran who cannot move on from this. This makes me respect and honour those in the military and the sacrifices they make.

Just a simple thank you goes a long way for these guys.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
Quote by jwmcdaniel97

The whole purpose of basic is to break you. To take your mind, your personality, basically your entire being, and make you into a a mere vessel to perform whatever task you are handed, with absolute, sometimes blind, loyalty and obedience. Don't let those bullshit goarmy commercials fool you, it's not all obstacle courses and push-ups, there's alot psychology involved.

That being said, combat veterans or not, many soldiers simply cannot function outside of the military after discharge. It has become a part of them, and they just can't handle civilian life.

This is part of the reason my Grandpa made me promise to not go into the service. The army, or really the government, owns you. They break you and force you into the mold that they want you to fit. Once you put that uniform on, it is damn hard to take it off. Which may very well have been your coworkers proverbial cross to bear.

It is sad, really. I know many a veteran who cannot move on from this. This makes me respect and honour those in the military and the sacrifices they make.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious you never served. The whole "they break you" trope is bullshit.
Charles Darwin
Quote by jwmcdaniel97
The truth is out there.

Last edited by Rossenrot at Mar 23, 2016,
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
it's all coming back

Quote by jwmcdaniel97

I'll jump in here I guess. I'm a three tour combat veteran Afghanistan 2006-2010. Not in US Army, im Canadian. Won't go into much more detail than that, I've made a few posts here about some of my experiences already, check those if you want. Combat, along with things I've seen and done has definitely effected me in some negative ways, I can't deny that. I'm not sure what you or the OP think boot camp is like but maybe you've heard too many stories or watched too many movies. I can't say I know any guys whose problem stem from boot. Especially non combat guys. This is probably a case of the dude having issues regardless of whether he served or not.
The military doesn't want to break you man, they want to build you. An effective organization isn't built on broken men, it's built on cohesion, training, leadership and sometimes some fucked up luck especially in the case of combat and direct action organizations. You don't want to stack on with some dude that's pissed off about night marches back in camp you know what I mean?
That's just my take on it. I'm sure some of the other guys here can offer something a bit more elegant.
I'd be happy to discuss with you guys though
the wicked flee when no man pursueth but the righteous are as bold as a lion
The only boot camp I've ever done is installing Windows on a Mac. And I ain't even willing to do that again.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Arby911
Yeah, it's pretty obvious you never served. The whole "they break you" trope is bullshit.

I've heard boot camp is not hard, and then A-school/etc is fun. But some people are not mentally strong enough for it, a la Full Metal Jacket bathroom scene
The idea is to simulate the stress of war, to have somebody who can act with logic and conviction, to think clearly, even when you haven't slept for 2 days and 3 people are yelling at you.

It's not about breaking people, it's about making it so they cannot be broken.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 23, 2016,
I was in the military years ago. boot camp and the schooling I went through for hauling nuclear weapons was fun, but once I got stationed, it was a joke. I had issues with a guy who was in the wrong, and all my superiors took his side without listen to my side. that grew into issues with other people I worked with.....long story short, I ended up getting myself kicked out..... the military can be mentally exhausting and overall not good for your mental state of mind....the time I spent in there, I knew a few guys that kinda lost there sense of identity and weren't doing well.

you only hear about the guys in combat having issues, but I can tell you it goes deeper then that.
Many in the military who have mental issues developed them before joining the military. One of my best friends from Iraq has a huge percentage of disability he attributes to his first tour in Afghanistan, and he neglects to tell his VA therapist about growing up in a gang in Las Vegas.

It's a shame that PTSD becomes, at times, a blanket diagnosis. It's like the proliferation of ADHD; is that really the cause, or is it just easier to call it that and give preliminary medications?

I said in another thread, that despite my background in medicine, I still wouldn't want to touch the mental health field with a ten foot pole. It's a lot of schooling and patience I don't have. Admiration and kudos to those who have it, you're really doing good things.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Many in the military who have mental issues developed them before joining the military. One of my best friends from Iraq has a huge percentage of disability he attributes to his first tour in Afghanistan, and he neglects to tell his VA therapist about growing up in a gang in Las Vegas.

It's a shame that PTSD becomes, at times, a blanket diagnosis. It's like the proliferation of ADHD; is that really the cause, or is it just easier to call it that and give preliminary medications?

I said in another thread, that despite my background in medicine, I still wouldn't want to touch the mental health field with a ten foot pole. It's a lot of schooling and patience I don't have. Admiration and kudos to those who have it, you're really doing good things.

Great post
Quote by UltimateGuizar

I agree.
Charles Darwin