Hi Guys, is there a loop/recording pedal available where i could for example;

record the intro to the song whilst playing it
then stop the loop whilst i play the verse
then click on the recorded loop as i solo over it

i.e the rhythm behind the solo is the same as the intro

everything I've seen just plays the loop instantly as soon as you kick the pedal again. I'm after something which records and pauses, then plays back at the kick of a pedal if that exists?
thanks!
Nearly all looper pedals have a pause/resume function. I don't know of any loopers that pause instead of playing by default, but the option may be available. Worst case, just hit the pause/resume functions when you're done playing the portion you want saved. It's just one or two extra clicks on most units.

All the Ditto loopers have it, pretty sure all the Boss ones do, Digitech JamMan series does, the only looper I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't have that features is the Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junkie, which is as grungy-analog as it gets in looper land, and even it has a bypass switch, so timed properly you could still start/stop the loop if you wanted to.
With the Ditto X4 you can have it play only once and then stop. So as long as that is the case you can just press play again when you need it and it'll play just one more time.
I don't think that helps much here, though. From the sound of it, the request is that it not play at all - just record, mute, then play. Playing the sample once is no more useful than playing it indefinitely, unless this particular song happens to have a convenient repetition somewhere in the intro (and there's no reason to assume that it does).

I won't be surprised if the 'save for later' function doesn't exist readily, since usually the whole point of a looper is that the loop starts instantly to preserve the timing. With an extra tap or two, the pause/resume feature common to most loopers ought to get the job done here.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think that helps much here, though. From the sound of it, the request is that it not play at all - just record, mute, then play. Playing the sample once is no more useful than playing it indefinitely, unless this particular song happens to have a convenient repetition somewhere in the intro (and there's no reason to assume that it does).

I won't be surprised if the 'save for later' function doesn't exist readily, since usually the whole point of a looper is that the loop starts instantly to preserve the timing. With an extra tap or two, the pause/resume feature common to most loopers ought to get the job done here.

Oh right, yeah. Totally missed that. I would just double up the intro if it were me to be honest. hahahaha. Play it once, let it loop once. Then song time.
I got a ditto and as soon as I start recording there is a noticeable tone change. Also, if you are playing with a band, even a minor tempo change would make it sound out of time.
I think Roc8995 said it all. I doubt that you'll find a pedal that will pause with one tap after you record your first loop.

I own a ditto stereo looper and when I play something in the form that you wish to play, I tap my pedal once (which records) and then tap my pedal twice in rapid succession to stop it after I'm done recording. If you hit the first note of your intro as soon as you hit the pedal, you'll hear that same note for a brief moment once you double tap to stop it. It's not too much of a distraction, but if you consider yourself picky, it might bother you.

Another option you have with the ditto stereo looper is importing and storing a backing track. So let's say you were using this pedal for a particular song during a gig in the format that you asked for. You would record yourself beforehand, store that recording in the pedal (basically a save for later feature) and then only hit the pedal when you want to solo over it. You wouldn't have to worry about using it for your intro. It's worth noting that I haven't used this feature yet, so you might want to look into it some more before going out and buying this thing.

Gab_Azz is right about the tone change. It's slight, but noticeable. I'd assume it to be the same with any pedal if you're using a lot of distortion. It's not as noticeable in a clean setup however, and fooling around with loop volume should help too.

The link below will direct you to an image showing you how to use a ditto.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/1563397/ditto-looper-quick-start-guide.jpg

It's probably a good idea to research as much as you can before deciding on one. The link below is the model I use. When I bought this pedal, I just walked into my guitar shop and asked them to show me some options before I decided. Looking back, I would have done more research, although I'm still happy with what I bought.
Link 2: http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-stereo-looper/

Hope this helps.
lol
Locasoppen, I play mostly clean and the tone change is still noticeable
Gab_Azz, I never said it wasn't. Just not as noticeable.
Which model do you use?
lol
The regular ditto I use a couple of effects for my clean tone, such as, compression, modulation and delay. I notice quite a change in tone. It sound like it is being EQ'd. It is great for practising and for lesson explanation.
I never tried mine with other pedals. Maybe that explains why I don't see a drastic change in tone. I use mine just to jam. Never gigged and don't plan to, but if I did, I doubt that I'd use the ditto, or any looper that doesn't replicate the sound I want perfectly.
I wonder if there are other loopers out there that don't have a noticeable change in tone.
lol
I do not use it at getting gigs as I aware that if we change the tempo even slightly, it would make the loop seem like it is playing out of time.