Hi, can anyone help identify this guitar? It has a neck plate with the serial C810240. I dated that to 1981 but none of the other parts really seem to fit anything I can find. The neck looks like it's Ibanez but the body has only 2 volume pots, no tone. The knobs themselves look like Fender knobs- not the It's also got Floyd Rose bridge and a Kahler nut.

Image gallery
Maybe someone modded it? It doesn't seem like standard procedure to have a locking trem system with different parts. Having some amalgam of parts when matching system sets are available really seems like this has some work done on it.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
Maybe someone modded it? It doesn't seem like standard procedure to have a locking trem system with different parts. Having some amalgam of parts when matching system sets are available really seems like this has some work done on it.

It's definitely modded. Did Ibanez ever make Iceman models with space for a locking trem cut out of the body?
Quote by batnip
It's definitely modded. Did Ibanez ever make Iceman models with space for a locking trem cut out of the body?

I've never seen a guitar with the backside of the pickup visible from the spring cavity so that is a red flag for this one not being stock, also either the OFR or the locking nut has been changed as they are competing brands, looks like it has been modded.

The trem routing doesn't look right the trem shouldn't be right up against the pickup bezel, and it is right up against it, to the point that the studs are distorting the shape of the bezel, it may have had a non locking trem and then was modded for the Floyd, either way seeing that pickup from the back cavity is really wierd.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

if that's an 81 then it's been hacked up as floyds weren't a stock option at that time. i highly doubt that it's an 81 though. pretty sure that early model Iceman's didn't have trems on them at all.
Strange, it doesn't look like any 81 I can find anywhere. They all have 3 knobs. The only model I can't find a pic of is the IC50FR which could be the Floyd Rose model. Not really sure though. EDIT: The FR is likely a color code, but I see nothing like that in the 81 catalog. Only black.

I did however find this same exact guitar in a for sale add from 2011

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=87701&sid=0d126c55e10cd252306ecef97c5eb1be

The guy is a mod on that forum, maybe reach out to him for info. He does say it's customized to what extent he did not mention.
Last edited by J_W at Mar 24, 2016,
Quote by J_W
Strange, it doesn't look like any 81 I can find anywhere. They all have 3 knobs. The only model I can't find a pic of is the IC50FR which could be the Floyd Rose model. Not really sure though. EDIT: The FR is likely a color code, but I see nothing like that in the 81 catalog. Only black.

I did however find this same exact guitar in a for sale add from 2011

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=87701&sid=0d126c55e10cd252306ecef97c5eb1be

The guy is a mod on that forum, maybe reach out to him for info. He does say it's customized to what extent he did not mention.

Wow, nice find! How'd to do that? lol.
Got lucky on google image search looking for an Iceman with 2 knobs from the early 80's. A black one popped up with 2 and low and behold it's your guitar lol
Quote by monwobobbo
if that's an 81 then it's been hacked up as floyds weren't a stock option at that time. i highly doubt that it's an 81 though. pretty sure that early model Iceman's didn't have trems on them at all.

Do you know if they ever had just 2 knobs?
Quote by Evilnine
I've never seen a guitar with the backside of the pickup visible from the spring cavity so that is a red flag for this one not being stock, also either the OFR or the locking nut has been changed as they are competing brands, looks like it has been modded.

The trem routing doesn't look right the trem shouldn't be right up against the pickup bezel, and it is right up against it, to the point that the studs are distorting the shape of the bezel, it may have had a non locking trem and then was modded for the Floyd, either way seeing that pickup from the back cavity is really wierd.

Could that account for the loud buzzing when I plug it into the amp?
There were some with 2 knobs but they are way closer together. It almost looks like someone removed the middle one on yours. I've never seen knobs spaced so far apart.

If it is a 82, it's been routed for a floyd the middle knob removed and repainted.
Quote by batnip
Do you know if they ever had just 2 knobs?

a little quick research shows that some from the mid 90s had 2 pots but they aren't configured like the one you showed in the pics. no early 80s Icemans have trems and that one in the pic you showed is likely from the later part of the 80s. not sure if Floyds in 81 even had the fine tuners yet. the body kinda looks like it may have been made by someone else as it just doesn't look right. the neck plate may be from 81 and perhaps the neck itself but the rest i don't think so.
Looking at that control cavity it does have what appears to be a plug where the center pot would have been

And there is no way that Floyd should be wedged against the pickup. Does the trem rub on the pickup bezel when you work it?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 24, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Looking at that control cavity it does have what appears to be a plug where the center pot would have been

And there is no way that Floyd should be wedged against the pickup. Does the trem rub on the pickup bezel when you work it?

No, it is close but it doesn't rub on it but I think that's just because the trem is adjusted to sit higher. It's got some cracks in the finish near those corners of the pocket there so I imagine it will whack them if it gets lowered any.

I took it by the shop today. their thought was that it was a DIY kit body or something that was originally white and was painted black at some point. The dings show a layer of white under the black. That would explain why the underside of the electronics pocket is white.

Well, looks like it's going back :/
Quote by batnip
No, it is close but it doesn't rub on it but I think that's just because the trem is adjusted to sit higher. It's got some cracks in the finish near those corners of the pocket there so I imagine it will whack them if it gets lowered any.

I took it by the shop today. their thought was that it was a DIY kit body or something that was originally white and was painted black at some point. The dings show a layer of white under the black. That would explain why the underside of the electronics pocket is white.

Well, looks like it's going back :/

Yeah I don't blame you for taking it back, looks kind of suspect to me, and there should be at least some space between the bridge and the pickup, definately looks like a DIY.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge